Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

timballic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

I have a large/heavy 8Kg system with loads of alt lenses, and a small pocket camera, I wanted something in-between as a good quality "walkabout". A multi-angle LCD wass a must-have feature, so the NEX/A600 and Fuji options were out.

My favourite style is for low level landscapes in portrait orientation, like this: (almost impossible to compose at near water level without either a multi-angle screen or a soaked behind!)

Derwentwater Dawn, Great Bay by timballic, on Flickr

The Nikon D5300 (with the same Sony 24mp sensor that's in the D7100), at under 500g, seemed to come close to my ideal ... until I started to try to match a zoom lens to it!

I expected the new, improved, "Contemporary" Sigma 17-70/2.8-4, to be an ideal partner, with for me a perfect FF equiv. range of 25.5-105mm. How wrong I was...the results were woeful!
Right in the centre it was sharp, but so lacking in contrast it didn't look that sharp, and anywhere beyond half way to the edges was a joke, right up to F8, even at F11-16 the edges never sharpened, at least at the wide end.
I had the lens checked for calibration, I checked focussing, nothing changed those results! I returned the lens.

That was a fortnight ago. Since then I have trawled every test site I can find to find a more suitable alternative.
The "best" seems to be the Tamron SP 17-50/2.8 Non-VC. I have one on the way at the moment to try... but following what I saw with the Sigma, my expectations are not that high.

I also considered using a trio of the smaller DX lenses available and was amazed to find so few, 35/1.8; 40/2.8; 50/1.8, nothing wide and small and nothing between 50mm and 85mm. (The old "D" lenses don't autofocus on the D5300, so they're out.)

The D5300 isn't an "alternative" lens platform as the meter doesn't show in any mode with "no lens attached", so that's not an option.

So,finally, my question is, would an older, lower resolution camera with less demanding sensor, like the Nikon D5100, or Sony A57 @ 16Mp, or the Canon 650/700D @ 18Mp, be a better camera base for what I'm wanting?

I know the New Sigma "A" 18-35/1.8 is supposed to match the 24mp sensor, but at 820g and with such a limited range it doesn't fit my "walkabout" kit needs. (Also the Panny 4/3s with multi angle screen seem just as large/heavy, or more so than those APSC mentioned.)

Edited on Jan 04, 2015 at 10:09 AM · View previous versions

Jul 03, 2014 at 07:10 AM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

I had Tamron 17-50 and Tokina 12-24 back when I was shooting aps-c
Both were very good but I've no idea how they hold up to 24mp

Tokina 12-24 was a solid lens, very good build quality imo.

Jul 03, 2014 at 07:15 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

johnahill wrote:
I
Tokina 12-24 was a solid lens, very good build quality imo.

Thanks John, I may have to look at the wide zoom options too, though I rarely shoot wider than 25mm equiv.

Jul 03, 2014 at 07:26 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

timballic wrote:
So,finally, my question is, would an older, lower resolution camera with less demanding sensor, like the Nikon D5100, or Sony A57 @ 16Mp, or the Canon 650/700D @ 18Mp, be a better camera base for what I'm wanting?

This assumption is based on the misconception that having less information somehow makes the results sharper. The higher resolution sensor will never capture *less* information; if the lens is weak, it might not take advantage of the higher resolution, but it will never of poorer quality than the same lens on a lower resolution body. It will only seem so when you compare them at 100% (an unfair comparison, since one is effectively at a higher magnification).

I don't think you're likely to be satisfied with the corner-to-corner sharpness of any midrange consumer zoom -- though the Nikon 16-85 is one of the best. You'll likely be happier with a wide zoom, especially at around 16mm, where all the major ones tend to be pretty good.

Jul 03, 2014 at 09:08 AM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

I was going to say the Nikon 17-55, but I'm guessing that doesn't fit your criteria for a light walk-about? It's a heck of a sharp lens though . . .

If you are willing to consider 16mp, Olympus OMD E-M10 + Oly 12-40 2.8 - I think it fits most of your criteria. It's small, light, and although the 12-40 is considered heavy by m4/3 standards, it is exceptionally sharp. The screen does flip down, but only 90 degrees.

Jul 03, 2014 at 09:20 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

The best standard zoom in terms of resolution that is currently manufactured today is the Canon 24-70/2.8 mk II. I believe the 24-70/4 IS is pretty close and significantly lighter. Of course, you can't use this on a nikon mount. You could absolutely stick it on a sony A7 with an adapter.

Jul 03, 2014 at 09:30 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

glassartist wrote:
I was going to say the Nikon 17-55, but I'm guessing that doesn't fit your criteria for a light walk-about? It's a heck of a sharp lens though . . .

If you are willing to consider 16mp, Olympus OMD E-M10 + Oly 12-40 2.8 - I think it fits most of your criteria. It's small, light, and although the 12-40 is considered heavy by m4/3 standards, it is exceptionally sharp. The screen does flip down, but only 90 degrees.

Thanks but by all accounts on reviews, the Nikon DX 17-55/2.8 is now showing its age on the latest sensors, plus being large/heavy.

The Oly I'm not interested in as I need a fully Multi-directional LCD..

Jul 03, 2014 at 09:30 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

kezeka wrote:
The best standard zoom in terms of resolution that is currently manufactured today is the Canon 24-70/2.8 mk II. I believe the 24-70/4 IS is pretty close and significantly lighter. Of course, you can't use this on a nikon mount. You could absolutely stick it on a sony A7 with an adapter.

The A7 hasn't got the all important multi-directional screen though ;o)

Jul 03, 2014 at 09:31 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

Smiert Spionam wrote:

I don't think you're likely to be satisfied with the corner-to-corner sharpness of any midrange consumer zoom -- though the Nikon 16-85 is one of the best. You'll likely be happier with a wide zoom, especially at around 16mm, where all the major ones tend to be pretty good.

From all the review sites I looked at, the revised Sigma Contemporary is sharper than the Nikon 16-85.

Jul 03, 2014 at 09:36 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

It may well be -- I haven't used it. I still think ultimately your best solution is going to be a wide zoom on the D5300. Stepping down in resolution will only make you *feel* better -- it is *not* sharper when output at the same resolution.

Jul 03, 2014 at 10:20 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

For a casual walkaround "point and shoot", I use and recommend that D5100 with matched kit zoom 18-55. The zoom handles nicely and always suprises me with its performance but, most importantly, makes a featherweight shooter for all day. If I want a higher-grade burden, my D300 + 17-55/2.8 is available and, if I want to break my shoulder, the D3X and a fat prime. You may notice that I'm not pushing a P&S (although I have a couple): never enjoyed them, and now we have cellphones to cover those cases.

Jul 03, 2014 at 10:36 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

Well if you wanted to grab the primes you could round it out with a 16mm f2 korean lens (http://www.samyang.co.uk/index.php/dslr-lenses/samyang-16mm-dslr). I have a buddy that makes the tokina 11-16 f2.8 shine. Sorry to spam, it looks like you are already looking at some of the better options and finding them lacking which is why I'm mentioning other options.

Jul 03, 2014 at 11:18 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

First impressions with the Tamron SP 17-50/2.8 Non-VC are favourable, (apart from massive back focussing, so all my tests were manual focus.)

Conditions were very different from when I tested the Sigma C 17-70/2.8-4 though, so although the Tamron appears to be "clearer" and more contrasty, that may simply be because the sun is now out. I will try to reshoot my test subjects in equally dull conditions, to get a truer impression. (The Sigma's gone back, so I can't do it again in the sun.)

Edge sharpness with the Tamron is definitely superior, (whether from less field curvature or resolution or both, I don't know.)
Anyway, apart from the back focus issue, which needs sorting, I think I can enjoy the Tamron on the D5300.

The Tamron's slightly damped, longer throw, manual focus is also far superior to the Sigma's, which I found impossible.
I'm also pleased with the Tamron's build quality. I expected to find it more plasticky than the Sigma, and it isn't.

Now I need something to cover the 105mm FL (70mm APSC) and I can only find the Sigma 70mm macro, which won't autofocus at all on the D5300. I read that the 60/2 Tamron is superior to it, but maybe too close to the 50mm end of the 17-50. I'm surprised there aren't any more DX 70mm to choose from. I know the Nikon 85/1.8 G is highly regarded, but possibly too big a gap from 50mm!

Jul 05, 2014 at 08:05 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

timballic wrote:
I know the Nikon 85/1.8 G is highly regarded, but possibly too big a gap from 50mm!

The difference between 50mm and 85mm is what, two steps?

Use the 50 and take a step closer, or use the 85 and take a step back .

And Nikon's 85/1.8G is worth that step! If only Canon's update to their great but aging version would be so excellent .

(though Canon's version will likely have IS...)

Jul 05, 2014 at 11:18 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

Some of the cameras have tethering abilities with smartphones, which will give you more freedom than a Multi-angle LCD and remote shutter and other controls.

Jul 05, 2014 at 11:54 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

I briefly owned the D7100 with the old 18-70 DX, which actually performs very well on the 24MP sensor.

The U-Turn by Mawz, on Flickr

After Fall by Mawz, on Flickr

Brazen Sky by Mawz, on Flickr

Frankly my opinion is the D7100+18-70 is an excellent combo for a smaller high-performance DSLR. I suspect that if I'd kept the D7100 instead of swapping it for a D600 I'd still be shooting it today (I did not have a great D600 experience, which had nothing to do with the usual problems but rather other challenges).

Jul 05, 2014 at 11:59 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

LightShow wrote:
Some of the cameras have tethering abilities with smartphones, which will give you more freedom than a Multi-angle LCD and remote shutter and other controls.

+1

This includes the E-M1 and E-M1, which paired with the 12-40/2.8 are simply the best normal zoom combos in APS-C.

Jul 05, 2014 at 12:01 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

mawz wrote:
I briefly owned the D7100 with the old 18-70 DX, which actually performs very well on the 24MP sensor.

Frankly my opinion is the D7100+18-70 is an excellent combo for a smaller high-performance DSLR. I suspect that if I'd kept the D7100 instead of swapping it for a D600 I'd still be shooting it today.

Interesting. I tried a friends D70 with the 18-70 a few years back, and thought it was quite good, but the 16-85 replaced it, and there have been rumours of another upgrade since Nikon filed patents for a constant F4 version. I think the centres of both are fine, it's the edges that are showing their age, and that shows up on landscapes.

Jul 05, 2014 at 12:29 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

timballic wrote:
Interesting. I tried a friends D70 with the 18-70 a few years back, and thought it was quite good, but the 16-85 replaced it, and there have been rumours of another upgrade since Nikon filed patents for a constant F4 version. I think the centres of both are fine, it's the edges that are showing their age, and that shows up on landscapes.

Having owned both of these lenses (the 16-85 was my go-to lens on the D300 before I started into Alt systems), the 16-85's better in the centre, and is IMHO the better all-round lens but the 18-70's better in terms of cross-frame performance, it's a seriously under-rated lens and in a lot of ways the best standard zoom Nikon's made for APS-C (small, light, fast for a variable-aperture zoom, fastest AF of the lot and strong cross-frame performance at f8, main downside is only 18mm at the wide end and no VR).

Jul 05, 2014 at 01:42 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What Standard zoom lenses can match the 24mp APSC sensors?

mawz wrote:
+1

This includes the E-M1 and E-M1, which paired with the 12-40/2.8 are simply the best normal zoom combos in APS-C.

Can a sensor half the size of standard (Nikon/Sony) APS-C sensors still be considered APS-C?

Jul 05, 2014 at 01:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.