Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Lower Antelope Canyon advice wanted.

redcrown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lower Antelope Canyon advice wanted.

Heading west next week, with a stop at Page for the Antelope Canyon. I've done the upper canyon several times so I plan to do the lower canyon this time.

Info about getting in and photographing the lower canyon is sketchy and conflicting. And apparently it has changed very recently. Looking for someone who has been there recently and knows the scoop.

Appears there is only one tour guide, "Kens Tours". Their website currently says they want $28 for a "basic" entry and $50 for a "photographers pass." It's unclear what the difference is.

A Tripadvisor reviewer says he was forced to pay the $50 fee simply because he had a big DSLR. Another reviewer says he was denied a photographers pass because he did not have a DSLR. He was pissed because he had a new $3000 mirrorless, but the guide didn't think it was good enough.

Another reviewer says you can go in cheaper with any camera, but if you use a tripod you must pay the $50.

Old descriptions of the lower canyon says you were guided in, but then left alone under a 4 hour limit. Some newer descriptions say the limit is now 2 hours. Other descriptions say you are now guided all the way and led out in about 1 hour.

Anybody know the truth? Or is it luck-of-the-draw, depending on what tour guide you get?

Jul 03, 2014 at 07:48 AM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lower Antelope Canyon advice wanted.

The information at
http://www.lowerantelope.com/
and
http://www.lowerantelope.com/aboutTheTour.php
suggest there are still two distinct tours. Assuming the guides are on the same page..

Last I was there, about 3 years back, you showed your tripod and camera at the booth and were given a photo pass and told to head on in, w/o waiting for a guide. The standard tour did require you to wait with the herd for the next departure.

Shoot 'em an e-mail and ask for clarification.

If you do wind up taking the unsupervised photo tour, consider turning around at the climb-out point and shooting your way back upstream. The light will have changed, and you'll find plenty of new shots en route.

Or, better yet, forget Jackalope and go visit Wire Pass and Buckskin Gulch, only about an hour west of Page.
http://www.360cities.net/image/wire-pass-at-buckskin-gulch-utah-usa?utm_source=google_earth&utm_medium=all_images

Jul 04, 2014 at 09:20 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lower Antelope Canyon advice wanted.

Thanks,

I had missed that "more info" link at the top of Ken's page. Plus, I finally got an e-mail response from them after 4 days. So I think I understand now.

Jul 04, 2014 at 02:53 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lower Antelope Canyon advice wanted.

2 years ago, there was $28 for non-guided tour, and if you show camera and tripod, you would get 2-hour pass for no extra charge. 2 hours is plenty, not sure what to do there for 4 hours since the light would be gone.

Jul 05, 2014 at 08:07 AM
RS Photo

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lower Antelope Canyon advice wanted.

When in Page make sure to shoot Horseshoe Bend!

My advice for the canyon would be to bring only one lens as it's too dusty to change when inside canyon and bring an air dust blower not just a cloth.

Jul 05, 2014 at 07:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lower Antelope Canyon advice wanted.

RS Photo wrote:
When in Page make sure to shoot Horseshoe Bend!

My advice for the canyon would be to bring only one lens as it's too dusty to change when inside canyon and bring an air dust blower not just a cloth.

Eeek! With all the grit in the air (even without the guides tossing handfuls into the air) the last thing I'd want to do is give the lens a good rubbing.

Jul 06, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Side1Cincy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lower Antelope Canyon advice wanted.

I'm heading there in October for a day, going to be in Phoenix, so going to try to make a trip to Antelope on a free day.

How hard is it to hit both lower and upper? I was looking through tours and couldn't find any information about being able to see both.

Sep 30, 2014 at 01:58 AM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lower Antelope Canyon advice wanted.

I don't think there is one tour operator that will take you to both....
Just show up at the respective ticket booth and buy a ticket.

FWIW, I'd suggest you concentrate your efforts on Lower, and join the Upper stampede only if time and energy allow.

Aim to arrive at Horseshoe or maybe Desert View (G.C.) just before sunset.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Ken Robb

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lower Antelope Canyon advice wanted.

I was there in April. It's $50.00 for a 2 hour photo pass. They give you an arm band with the exit time written on it. You are on your own in the canyon. Start at the top and work your way lower. The $28.00 tour goes down the steel stairs to the bottom and works its way to the top.

Oct 01, 2014 at 02:09 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password