New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Trip to Iguazú falls

calzola

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trip to Iguazú falls

Good evening,

I'll be traveling to the Iguazú falls next week and would like recommendations on what kind gear to take with me. Available to me:
Bodies: D3 and D7000
Lenses:
Nikon: 50 mm f/1.8 D, 24-70 f/2.8 G, 60 macro f/2.8 G, 80-200 mm S f/2.8
Tokina: AT-X Pro 17 mm f/3.5
Sigma: 30 mm f/1.4 (DX)
Monopod and tripod
Flash: SB-600

I guess I will be taking more landscape pictures which argues for the D3. I also would like to take pictures in the bird park and BIF if possible, but no experience. I can fit one body and up to three lenses in my bag, but not the 80-200.

Any suggestions about subjects, techniques or general pearls of wisdom?

Thanks for any help.

Carlos

Jul 02, 2014 at 09:03 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trip to Iguazú falls

Hey Carlos,

I would take the D3 over the D7000. If you can only take 3 lenses, of course you have to take the 24-70, and the 80-200mm. For the 3rd lens, you just need to choose which you like best to shoot of what's left.

Skip the monopod. I threw mine away many many years ago. Just use the tripod. If you want to, just tie the legs together as one and use it like a monopod....

I don't do BIF, shooting birds in general bores me. But I will say that a really good general rule about anything you aren't familiar with... doing it for the first time while on a photo trip is just plain bad thinking... If you are planning on doing some serious BIF, then you should be practicing now. Go in the Nature and Wildlife Forum and ask for advice on setting up your camera, I know they do all sorts of weird things with remapping buttons on the camera, etc... Now on the other hand, if BIF is something you haven't done before and you are just going to stop and a Bird Park and shoot birds, go do it and have fun... BIF must not really be a big deal to you since you haven't done it before. So just go enjoy the experience and have fun pointing and shooting your camera...

Jim

Jul 03, 2014 at 03:11 AM
calzola

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trip to Iguazú falls

Thanks for the advice Jim, I guess my other lenses will be the 60 mm macro (there should be a lot of interesting insects and flowers) and a 50 mm since is very small. Since for the advice on the monopod too. Even though I like it because is light and very portable, the magnificence of the landscape probably deserves a tripod. As for BIF, you are right, I'll just take the opportunity and see what I get, but is no biggie.

Thanks

Carlos

Jul 05, 2014 at 08:44 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.