http://robertbody.com/images/500/2013-11-09-double-arch-25-6d_0926.jpg

http://robertbody.com/images/500/2013-10-30-courthouse-refl-1dx_2278.jpg

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:34 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · November and December in Utah

Hey Robert,

A nice variety of work here again. Though you might consider just picking one or two shots of a location and posting them in the future. 5 is the max, but a good portion of us only post 1 photo at a time so that each photo can stand or fall on it's own credit.

Of these, my favorites are #3 and 5. Though in #3 I would clone out that tall stick or person along the side of Balanced Rock. #5 is just an incredibly cool shot. I really like that one.

For me, #1 has a lot of potential. I wish it had more dynamic range to the shot so that the clouds weren't blown out and there was more shadow detail. Again though with #1 I wish there was not a person in the shot. For me, I feel they distract from the shot. Once in a while a person in a shot can add to a shot, but typically they are more of a distraction then a benefit. At least for my eyes.

Jim

Jul 02, 2014 at 01:15 PM
DavidFantle

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · November and December in Utah

I'm going to disagree, and think that the person on Mesa Arch makes that shot, esepcially in a meditative pose, and silhouetted. The last thing the world needs is yet a 2-millionth shot of Mesa Arch at sunrise, otherwise. I think the compo could be improved, though. It feels Right-weighted, and including the whole arch isn't necessary to make this image work. I like it better cropped to a vertical aspect, including just the right side, where the human figure counterbalances the visual weight of the rock and snow at bottom left.

With #2, it's a cute shot with the dog, but the left edge doesn't add to it and makes the tree feel too centered. I'd suggest cropping to 4x5 aspect, losing the L. edge.

With #3, the sunburst on 1 side, and Balanced rock and the person on the other side of the frame gives 2 competing 'areas of interest', and leads to the 'eyes bouncing back and forth' feeling for the viewer - not comfortable.

#4, has been done a lot before, but still interesting. Needs some breathing room beneath the people in the notch.

#5 is quite nice as it is (see, I'm not always picking at everything!)

-David

Jul 02, 2014 at 01:45 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · November and December in Utah

I agree with Jim about people in landscapes, or animals for that matter. In particular, I wish people would not climb on natural formations, such as arches. It takes eons to create those and only minutes for someone to damage them. Beyond my opinion, I think it is illegal in a National Park. I know people climb on Corona Arch, but that may now be banned since BLM took responsibility for managing that arch.

I really like your style of composition and processing. For the reasons given, I prefer 3, 4 & 5. The people in 4 aren't a distraction. In fact, you may never see Double Arch without people. I usually clone them out.

I actually like the shot of the cute dog, I just think animals take it out of the landscape category.

Jul 02, 2014 at 01:49 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · November and December in Utah

Some people are people persons. I'm not. But, I do like the last one.

Jul 02, 2014 at 02:00 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · November and December in Utah

Great shots! What I especially like is you original take on the arch. And how did you get your dog to pose so sweetly?

Jul 02, 2014 at 02:12 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · November and December in Utah

stanparker wrote:
I know people climb on Corona Arch, but that may now be banned since BLM took responsibility for managing that arch..

It was literally overnight that the nice quiet "locals" hike to Corona Arch was ruined by the "Giant Swing" video. Used to be a deserted parking lot in the morning. Now, there's people camping there, there are often signs for "overflow" parking. I never go there anymore.

I actually like the doggie picture the best, although I don't consider it a landscape photograph. More like a "loyal buddy" who'll follow you anywhere. And smiling too!

Jul 02, 2014 at 02:25 PM
xterra07
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · November and December in Utah

She was a visiting dog I named Annie. She just came to visit me as I was taking pictures.
Things look different at 15mm, fisheye, like arches.
I like people in some photos, sometimes same scene works with or without people. With, without, or both. We can't all like exactly the same things .

Jul 02, 2014 at 02:27 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.