Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

agelessphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

I am debating on keeping a spare backup of the keeper photos for my clients for like at least a year or so. You guys think blueray discs are the way to go? seems cheaper than going with multiple hard drives and a raid system. And it's a permanent copy.. I can get a blue ray burner for about $80 and it looks like blanks are about $1 a piece for 25 gigs.... Any advice is greatly appreciated! as of right now I usually just keep them around for about 3 months with the exception of the ones I want to use for my portfolio.

Jul 02, 2014 at 11:58 AM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

why not back them up to the cloud?

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:02 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

Because my local ISP sucks and to get a decent upload speed it's about $120 a month for the internet bill. I pay like $60 a month and get like 1.5 megabit upload. I don't have AT&T or anyone in my area it's a local small company. If I had like Comcast or something I probably would.

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:05 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

I still have copies of raw files from 2009 on continually smaller external hard drives - I tell clients I keep a copy 2 months after they confirm proper working order delivery (of edited .jpgs mind you), but I'm too much of a packrat to toss files.

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:15 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

I'm thinking the blueray route might be the way for me to go. $1 for 25 gigs. I could probably backup a years worth of jpg's.

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:22 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

all my high res jpegs are uploaded to zenfolio. i keep raws on 1 external HDD for each year. And each HDD has 2 years of work on them (for now), so there's redundancy. I'm paranoid. I don't know why I'd ever need them again, but I externals are cheap.

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:27 PM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

This is what I do.

burn a copy of each CF card to disk before I Transfer the data.
Copy to a 4tb NAS , with raid protection. This is where I do all editing.
Backup weekly to a 6 tb dual bay external drive.
backup monthly to a cloud provider.

synology DS1513+ nas http://www.synology.com/en-global/products/overview/DS1513+

StarTech.com Dual Bay SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure with USB 3.0 RAID http://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/Dual-Bay-SATA-External-Hard-Drive-Enclosure~SAT3520U3SR

Google drive pricing
https://www.google.com/settings/storage

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:28 PM
swim_r
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

We use blu-ray and it works well, this is our full procedure.

Import images from card to work in progress drive in computer, external HD backup, and drobo 5bay 2TB each RAID configuration. Burn blu-ray of all raw files.

Do edits, upload final pegs to smugmug for proofing, delivery, ordering, and backup.

Burn last blu-ray with final pegs and Lightroom sidecar files. Back up again to drobo.

Work in progress drive holds a years worth of work or so and at the end of the year gets backed up to external and the external HD gets archived.

Blu-ray's are in a safe deposit box at the bank, hard droves are in fireproof safe at home.

Probably a little overly redundant, but I am grateful for it because that redundancy is what saved my wedding photos after my home was broken in to and computer and backup HDs were stolen.

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:42 PM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

swim_r wrote:
We use blu-ray and it works well, this is our full procedure.

Import images from card to work in progress drive in computer, external HD backup, and drobo 5bay 2TB each RAID configuration. Burn blu-ray of all raw files.

Do edits, upload final pegs to smugmug for proofing, delivery, ordering, and backup.

Burn last blu-ray with final pegs and Lightroom sidecar files. Back up again to drobo.

Work in progress drive holds a years worth of work or so and at the end of the year gets backed up to external and the external HD gets archived.

Blu-ray's are in a safe deposit box at
...Show more

Sounds like me only with bluray and a lock box! I like it.

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:45 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

How many weddings are you shooting a year? $120 a month might be worth it if you're shooting a good amount. I pay around that for internet, and having all my weddings backed up on the cloud is crucial. Last month I had a client from 4 years ago ask for a photo, I had it emailed to her in 10 minutes. Even with your slow internet speed, if you're just backing up older delivered weddings, you could just queue em up and wait.

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:56 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

I burn two copies on BluRay. Digital weddings going back to 2004, all easily accessible. One copy with me, one copy in a neighbor's garage.

These days I get two weddings on a BluRay. Full JPGs, Lossy DNGs, selects for blog / vendors, blog panels, plus PDFs of the contracts and notes. It's a tidy package.

Jul 02, 2014 at 01:09 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

RAWs are backed up in duplicate on external drives that are stored at 2 different locations (one on-site, one off-site). Finished hi-res JPGs and wedding album JPGs are backed up the same way. Hi-res JPGs also backed on Zenfolio. I've been keeping the RAWs for 2 years. I dump them after that, but hold onto the JPEGs.

Jul 02, 2014 at 01:34 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

awad wrote:
How many weddings are you shooting a year? $120 a month might be worth it if you're shooting a good amount. I pay around that for internet, and having all my weddings backed up on the cloud is crucial. Last month I had a client from 4 years ago ask for a photo, I had it emailed to her in 10 minutes. Even with your slow internet speed, if you're just backing up older delivered weddings, you could just queue em up and wait.

For 2014 it's about 12 weddings so far booked. 2015 is looking like a few more. I am considering upgrading my connection.

Jul 02, 2014 at 02:03 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

I used to, but then I thought about it and tossed all my old raw files from the past 4 years.
what's the point of keeping the RAW's. I can see keeping the finished jpegs, but the RAWs

They're not paying for space on my hard drives, and I'm not about to buy more hard drives to hoard old wedding photos when I need all the space I can get for new clients.

I hold onto the photos for a few months after their weddings, or as long as I think I can get print/album sales.

But after that, I toss most of them and only keep the ones that i'm really in love with or have marketing value.

Jul 02, 2014 at 02:22 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

I can see keeping the finished jpegs, but the RAWs

If you process in a scene-faithful manner, no reason at all. But if do that silly film-look crap, you'll be thankful for the ability to reprocess when you come to your senses. Ever see some of the 2007 processed wedding photos hanging at wedding venues? Oh my — photography fashions change ... quickly. Today's trend is tomorrow's joke.

OT — I booked a bride yesterday who totally dissed her engagement photo photographer. Not the photographer's manners or posing ... but the photographer's processing. She brought eng photos to the meeting. The look? VSCO. Muted colors, held-back blacks. She jabs, "look at my eyebrows in this photo — now, turn away and look at my eyebrows in real life ... WTF"

Jul 02, 2014 at 02:28 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

just another reason to avoid trends and do your own thing.

VSCO deez nuts!! :P

Jul 02, 2014 at 02:39 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

Anyone had issues with Blu-Ray? Do you trust if for long term, as safe as other disks?

Jul 02, 2014 at 02:45 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

My contract says 1 year and it is clients responsibility to back them up, I see no reason to pay to keep them longer. I keep raws of portfolio worthy stuff.

Jul 02, 2014 at 02:59 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

For ever in 3 archive HDDs, 2 at home and 1 in the studio in case I want to use something.

So cheap and fast to do it !!!

Jul 02, 2014 at 03:58 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you backup clients weddings long term? if so which medium do you use?

LeeSimms wrote:
But if do that silly film-look crap

Yeah.....but I can't get away from that film-look crap when I still shoot film.

Jul 02, 2014 at 04:02 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.