New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D7000

runakid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7000

I have noticed that Nikon and B/H have refurbed D7000's. Is there a problem area that I should be concerned about?

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:40 PM
onetimeoneplac

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7000

Nope! At that price, it's a steal for what it's capable of. It wasn't plagued with issues like the D600 was.

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7000

I've had AF issues with two of them. Make sure your lenses consistently AF accurately within the adjustment range. Overall it's a decent body.

EBH

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:47 PM
jester4176

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7000

Bought my refurb D7000 from B&H last Christmas. Great price, and have had no problems thus far with it after over 2700 shots.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:58 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7000

My first was a refurbished one. Kept getting errors when mounting any lens.

second one was new and visited nikon three times for auto focus repairs.

I would get a refurbished 7100 for 800

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7000

I think that you get what you pay for with either the D7000 or the D7100 - both are great (I own both).

The D7000 is an excellent camera. Other than the resolution, the sensor is much better than the one on the D7100 in my opinion - the dynamic range is higher, and you don't get banding in shadows. I also find that the colors come out nicer by default in Lightroom, but I'm not sure why that is (and I am sure that it can probably be adjusted). I like having the built-in plastic screen protector, which the D7100 lacks. The D7000 also has a spot on the dial for remote control mode, whereas on the D7100 you have to dig into the menus.

On the other hand, the autofocus is clearly better on the D7100, and it has a locking mode dial, which fixes probably the biggest problem of the D7000. The D7100 also gains a way better Auto ISO system that accounts for zoom length, and that can be turned on/off with the front dial. The D7100 has a 3-second exposure delay mode, which is super handy (and has pretty much eliminated my use of mirror lock-up). It also has a slightly nicer OLED viewfinder display. It supposedly has a better rear LCD screen, but I can't tell the difference in practice (they both pretty much suck in sunlight). One other nice thing about the D7100 is that the layout matches the newer and higher-end cameras like the D600/D610 and the D800/D810 (including the all-powerful "i" button, recently added to the D810 to great fanfare, which does . . . practically nothing.)

As far as build quality, I think that they are probably identical, and you are just as likely to get a good or bad D7100 as you are to get a good or bad D7000.

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:27 PM
jefflee
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7000

Have both, and yes the 7100 has some nicer features but the D7000 takes great images. If you get a D7000 and plan to do video, I'd suggest the NikonHacker hack that raises the bit rate but keeps the original HD setting in the SD setting. So you have a 60/48/32 MB/s as your HD (your choice in the download, but only 32 plays back on the camera) and the 24 MB/s which works in review on the camera. The video is very nice and the higher bit rates keep down certain issues with the D7000 video. That being said if the couple of hundred difference in reburbs in no deal breaker go for the 7100, I find the 1.3 in camera crop is better for BIF due to the focus sensor coverage.

Jul 01, 2014 at 10:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7000

onetimeoneplac wrote:
Nope! At that price, it's a steal for what it's capable of. It wasn't plagued with issues like the D600 was.

it was "plagued" with an issue not issues.:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/hs309y82/Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D600-Digital-SLR-Camera.html

Edited on Jul 01, 2014 at 03:16 PM · View previous versions

Jul 01, 2014 at 12:21 PM
karosikcreativ

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D7000

I personally purchased a Nikon refurbed 7000 a couple years ago, and loved it until the day I sold it (yesterday). Some of them had focus issues; mine did not.

Jul 01, 2014 at 01:30 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D7000

OccAeon wrote:
I think that you get what you pay for with either the D7000 or the D7100 - both are great (I own both).

The D7000 is an excellent camera. Other than the resolution, the sensor is much better than the one on the D7100 in my opinion - the dynamic range is higher, and you don't get banding in shadows. I also find that the colors come out nicer by default in Lightroom, but I'm not sure why that is (and I am sure that it can probably be adjusted). I like having the built-in plastic screen protector, which the
...Show more

While my D7000 was at Nikon getting repaired/butchered/damaged I bought a D7100 and I have been using it exclusively down here in SC for flowers, dragonflies and BIF's. I am loving it....just not the buffer when shooting RAW. When I got my D7000 back before I left it I almost had a nutty. I reset all of the custom settings and I will now have to send it back and demand it get's fixed this time. In a nutshell.....whatever they replaced made the camera operate in a manner which is unusable. I am very mad about it because before it got sent it I enjoyed using it...all my lenses were spot-on and no strange hue/color cast like I am seeing in all of my images now. Very disappointed to say the least. I WILL NOT pay to have it fixed again!

***Sorry for the rant....I just think Melville sucks!

Jul 03, 2014 at 12:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.