New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · HDR Building Photography

General Cole

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HDR Building Photography

Took this one a while back when I first got my DSLR and shot it with just the kit lens and a tripod out at around 2 in the morning. I always liked the visuals of HDR building shots and was wondering if you as the community had any suggestions or thoughts on it.

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:33 PM
JunCTion Media

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HDR Building Photography

I like artsy photos sometimes. I could see this one being used in a car commercial or something similar.

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:46 PM
General Cole

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HDR Building Photography

I was trying to get the local government to buy it freelance for a publication (its a county courthouse) but no budge. I'm glad I got full sized print of it though.

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:47 PM
JunCTion Media

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HDR Building Photography

I really wish I could devote all my time to photography. I love it, but I'm just too afraid to give up my day job.

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:49 PM
General Cole

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HDR Building Photography

I've been able to get some fun money out of shooting local events for kids or other action sports one offs but nothing enough to dissuade me from working full time when I can. Building photography for me was nice because I could always go do it in the dead of night and no worry about traffic.

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:52 PM
JunCTion Media

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HDR Building Photography

It's always been a backup plan if my career should suddenly end. The more I get involved in it, the more I wish it was my main career. Maybe one day i'll bite the bullet.

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:57 PM
General Cole

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HDR Building Photography

Retirement money wouldn't be a bad plan. Hopefully I get the chance to get out and shoot more than an occasional composite for a fraternity or walking around shots like this.

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:58 PM
JunCTion Media

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HDR Building Photography

For me it will most likely stay a hobby / side job, unless I stop flying. After retirement I plan on traveling and doing some photojournalism.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:02 PM
General Cole

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HDR Building Photography

That wouldn't be bad. You could fly with your gear and start it as a mini photo blog of sorts to get into the habit and skills of it.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:03 PM
JunCTion Media

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HDR Building Photography

Yeah. I have a lot to learn, but i've picked up a few skills from this site. It's a nice place to come to learn. A lot of good photogs here.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:26 PM
General Cole

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HDR Building Photography

So I can see! I've been looking around, need to spend more time picking up tips and tricks though.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM
yarnim

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HDR Building Photography

General Cole wrote:
I was trying to get the local government to buy it freelance for a publication (its a county courthouse) but no budge. I'm glad I got full sized print of it though.

---------------------------------------------

General Cole wrote:
I've been able to get some fun money out of shooting local events for kids or other action sports one offs but nothing enough to dissuade me from working full time when I can. Building photography for me was nice because I could always go do it in the dead of night and no worry about traffic.

How do you even approach the right people to sell your photos?
I am in no way at any level to be able to sell my photography anytime soon but it would be a greatly added fun and motivation, and rewarding.

Jul 01, 2014 at 12:31 AM
General Cole

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HDR Building Photography

I usually do a little bit of research where it would be used, in this case it was to the public affairs administrator with the city. He puts together the flyers and ads and all that junk, and offered him this a few other pictures of some city buildings. Other places to go are your local newspaper, or if that is a total no go, your school paper. They usually pay by the picture and its not a lot of money but its something for your portfolio.

Jul 01, 2014 at 07:15 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HDR Building Photography

Well, you asked for thoughts, so I'll say that I'm not surprised the gov't wouldn't buy it from you. To be more constructive, I'd offer the following:

Artistic aspect- Kinda interesting, feels post-apocalyptic (probably not how the local gov't wants people to view them ). However, there are lots of HDR artifacts that keep it from really coming across as a clean and polished image.

Architectural aspect- perspective isn't correct. Not a hard and fast rule, but if you're going to break the rule, you have to really break it and make the verticals obviously not vertical.

I hope my comments aren't discouraging to you. Share more of your past and current work and keep at it!

Jul 01, 2014 at 09:42 AM
General Cole

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HDR Building Photography

Oh no all criticism is welcome. I hadn't really thought of it in that way, I only really viewed it as an 'artsy' representation of their newly finished project. And as far as the artifacts, I always get them in my HDRs, seems as though they come from certain light sources, do you know any way around them? I am using Photomatix 4.0.2 and it always seems to give me some, but especially from neon lights or background traffic. And as far as the architectural, the building doesn't have a vertical aspect haha, its all slants and the flat sections of the roof. But what would you recommend for getting past those artifacts?

Here's another I really despise (not because I didn't check the levels) but because while I like parts of it, the signs ruined the shot in my eyes. I couldn't find a way to fully take them out of the shot.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/428845_10150996885242490_1965286552_n.jpg?oh=53f1a7c761aa271a54c0e7f02966935b&oe=54289F27

Jul 01, 2014 at 09:47 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · HDR Building Photography

General Cole wrote:
Oh no all criticism is welcome. I hadn't really thought of it in that way, I only really viewed it as an 'artsy' representation of their newly finished project. And as far as the artifacts, I always get them in my HDRs, seems as though they come from certain light sources, do you know any way around them? I am using Photomatix 4.0.2 and it always seems to give me some, but especially from neon lights or background traffic. And as far as the architectural, the building doesn't have a vertical aspect haha, its all slants and the flat
...Show more

Verticals: windows, lampposts, and bollards are all good cues if the building itself isn't straight. Train yourself to look for these when you compose, as it's waaaaay easier to get it right in camera, or at least very very close in camera.

Artifacts: I think you'll find that HDR is a GIGO type of processing. I think people who are big adherents to it do a lot of cleaning of the source files.

In the second photo, my same comments apply. I think you're over-complicating things by wanting to do 1) HDR 2) at night 3) with architectural subjects. All three of those are difficult enough in their own right, and you've got too much going on to nail all of them together.

Jul 01, 2014 at 10:53 AM
yarnim

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · HDR Building Photography

General Cole wrote:
I usually do a little bit of research where it would be used, in this case it was to the public affairs administrator with the city. He puts together the flyers and ads and all that junk, and offered him this a few other pictures of some city buildings. Other places to go are your local newspaper, or if that is a total no go, your school paper. They usually pay by the picture and its not a lot of money but its something for your portfolio.

Thanks for this valuable information.

Sorry for another question, but do you print the pictures out for such purposes, or do you approach them with digital images?

Jul 01, 2014 at 10:36 PM
General Cole

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · HDR Building Photography

GIGO? And I understand, this type of image always appealed to me so I did what I could to get better at it! And in my case I emailed a copy and had an ipad with me for showing him in person. It didn't work out though so I could have been far off base!

Jul 02, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · HDR Building Photography

Garbage in garbage out. Not meant in any mean way But cleaning up lens flares, and ensuring perfect alignment between photos, and shooting when there's not tons of blurring in leaves etc gives you the best possible foundation to do your HDR with. Keep it up!

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:16 PM
General Cole

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · HDR Building Photography

Anything to do about the light sources? Like how neon kills the rendering?

Jul 04, 2014 at 06:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.