Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Shooting Paintball Tournaments

General Cole

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Shooting Paintball Tournaments

I think when I end up with the 50 1.4, maybe the 70-200 2.8, I might look at an 85 1.4, always liked that lens too.

Jul 02, 2014 at 11:37 AM
JunCTion Media

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Shooting Paintball Tournaments

I haven't used the 1.4. Does it have good reviews? Do you do shoot any portrait stuff?

Jul 03, 2014 at 11:55 AM
tele_pathic
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Shooting Paintball Tournaments

I have the 85 1.4. It's pretty awesome! It's my go-to for portraits; I mean, that's what I bought it for. I just picked up the 70-200 f4 from the classifieds here. When I get that, I'll test it head to head against the 85 1.4 in order to answer the question, "Can I replace the 85 f1.4 with the 70-200 f4, thus enabling me to sell the 85 1.4?" I don't suspect that I'll be able to, but one never knows. I hadn't thought about posting that here, but after reading this, do you think people here might be interested in seeing that test?

And who is this Fred y'all speak of? A member here; Can you provide a full username in order to search or a link to his gallery? Thanks.

TP

Jul 03, 2014 at 12:03 PM
JunCTion Media

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Shooting Paintball Tournaments

Fred doesn't post here. Sorry.

Jul 04, 2014 at 11:07 AM
tele_pathic
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Shooting Paintball Tournaments

I have the 50 f1.4 USM. For me, the 85 f1.8 is my go-to for portraits, and until I got the 50 f1.4 it was my walk-around lens because it is gorgeous and compact. The USM is sooo quiet, quick, and accurate. BUT in a lot of situations the 85 is just too tight.

For me, the 50 f1.4 USM is now my walk-around lens for all the reasons above, the USM is so nice. The 50 f1.5 is wider but also renders so beautifully. The USM is one of the primary differences between the 50 1.4 and the 50 1.8. And the USM is such an improvement. It's well worth the price difference, for me.

Jul 04, 2014 at 11:37 AM
tele_pathic
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Shooting Paintball Tournaments

Oh, and I don't shoot portrait stuff with the 50mm on my full-frame. It's not the best choice for portrait work. That's why I have the 85mm.

Jul 04, 2014 at 11:39 AM
General Cole

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Shooting Paintball Tournaments

tele_pathic wrote:
I have the 85 1.4. It's pretty awesome! It's my go-to for portraits; I mean, that's what I bought it for. I just picked up the 70-200 f4 from the classifieds here. When I get that, I'll test it head to head against the 85 1.4 in order to answer the question, "Can I replace the 85 f1.4 with the 70-200 f4, thus enabling me to sell the 85 1.4?" I don't suspect that I'll be able to, but one never knows. I hadn't thought about posting that here, but after reading this, do you think people here might be
...Show more

The f4 won't replace the 1.4, its just so pretty for portraits.

---------------------------------------------

JunCTion Media wrote:
Fred doesn't post here. Sorry.

Nope....

tele_pathic wrote:
I have the 50 f1.4 USM. For me, the 85 f1.8 is my go-to for portraits, and until I got the 50 f1.4 it was my walk-around lens because it is gorgeous and compact. The USM is sooo quiet, quick, and accurate. BUT in a lot of situations the 85 is just too tight.

For me, the 50 f1.4 USM is now my walk-around lens for all the reasons above, the USM is so nice. The 50 f1.5 is wider but also renders so beautifully. The USM is one of the primary differences between the 50 1.4 and the 50
...Show more

I love the 50 1.4s on my crop sensor, its basically an 85 haha

tele_pathic wrote:
Oh, and I don't shoot portrait stuff with the 50mm on my full-frame. It's not the best choice for portrait work. That's why I have the 85mm.

I love a true 85 for portraits.

Jul 04, 2014 at 06:12 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.