New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Large Format + Long Exposure + fireworks question

fstopperdown
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Large Format + Long Exposure + fireworks question

Got a question...

Looking around at images of fireworks, I've got a good starting point.

My thoughts are since I have a bit of a limitation with quantity I want to up the quality.

Taking reciprocity into account with a minimal f stop of 64, I could really extend the exposure upwards to 60 to 120 seconds.

One plan is to trip the shutter in t mode continuously 3-5 seconds at a time using multiple exposures and capture the majority of the light show.

Any flaws in my gameplan?

My fear is really blowing out the scene.

FWIW... I plan to try both color and B+W

Portra 160 and Acros 100 are the films I'll be using.

Jun 30, 2014 at 07:57 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Large Format + Long Exposure + fireworks question

Acros has no reciprocity out to about 2 min IIRC, dunno about portra. So nothing to take into account for your described purpose with that film.

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:04 PM
jay w
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Large Format + Long Exposure + fireworks question

I'm unsure, but while there's a lot of latitude on F-stop, I'm guessing that f64 might make each fireworks blast a bit dark. Yeah, you can stack more, but I'd do some searching online about such a small F-stop.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:38 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Large Format + Long Exposure + fireworks question

I find too many fireworks in one frame to be too much, I seem to prefer 2-3 bursts which ends up being ~5 seconds.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:50 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Large Format + Long Exposure + fireworks question

At that long of an exposure, you will certainly pick up a lot of "blossoms", but capturing so many of them may lead to an excess of bursts that are cacophonous (visually speaking, of course!).

Also, with rather lengthy exposures I find I start picking up too much smoke for my liking, as it drifts slowly and tends to register after being repeatedly illuminated in a short span of time.

A finale is, of course, different from the middle of the display.

Though perhaps I am making too many assumptions about what it is you want to shoot, and how you want o go about it. If so I apologize.

Here are 20 second exposures, joined as a panoramic. ISO 100, f/11. Most of the what you see are actually "wildcatters" as fireworks are (ahem) illegal in Los Angeles. It's just too damned dry here to trust people with them.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:53 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Large Format + Long Exposure + fireworks question

I see the problem with a small F stop capturing the individual bursts.

My vision was to just continuously open in 5 second bursts and have the fireworks sort of co-mingle and stack upon themselves

I may try one 60 second exposure. The rotate the film and on side #2 catch the finale on a regular 5 second exposure.

Jul 01, 2014 at 09:40 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.