New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Safe to do on a 17-40L??

herion
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Safe to do on a 17-40L??

Just got a 17-40L and I purchased a Hoya Slim Frame UV(C) filter for it. It appears that there is a very tiny bit of contact between the filter and the lens as it reaches the 17mm and the 40mm mark.

Can I get a spacer ring for the lens without worrying about vignetting on a) my current APS-C bodies and b) on a FF when I decide to get one?

Last thing I'd want to do is scratch/damage the front element - that's why I want to keep a UV filter on it in the first place!

Thanks in advance!

Jun 30, 2014 at 06:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Safe to do on a 17-40L??

Have you verified the contact? I put a piece of thin paper at the center of the lens, then attach the filter, and then hold the lens sideways. If the paper moves, there is no contact. If it doesn't move. but does move after a light tap, then there is no contact.

P.S. I don't use 'protection' filters, unless there's a specific threat, like blowing sand or salt water spray, or heavy rain; otherwise,

""I'm out there Jerry and loving every minute of it."

Seinfeld episode 90, "The Chinese Woman", Kramer.

Jun 30, 2014 at 06:39 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Safe to do on a 17-40L??

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-17-40mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

... "Since 1.6x camera bodies do not need all of the image this lens presents, a more-light-reducing lens hood can be used. Friends of the site have reported that the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L Lens' EW-83DII lens hood and the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS Lens' EW-83H work well as alternatives for these bodies. I tested the EW-83J from the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Lens and it seems to work fine on the 17-40. It fits and does not cause vignetting at 17mm and f/4. It looks a lot better as well. " ...

I used the EW-83J on my 17-40L ... no filter ... Protects very well and it does look mucc better than the hood the 17-40 ships with .... (Not for full frame) ...

Jefferson

Jun 30, 2014 at 06:52 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Safe to do on a 17-40L??

jcolwell wrote:
Have you verified the contact? I put a piece of thin paper at the center of the lens, then attach the filter, and then hold the lens sideways. If the paper moves, there is no contact. If it doesn't move. but does move after a light tap, then there is no contact.

P.S. I don't use 'protection' filters, unless there's a specific threat, like blowing sand or salt water spray, or heavy rain; otherwise,

Seinfeld episode 90, "The Chinese Woman", Kramer.

" If it doesn't move. but does move after a light tap, then there is no contact."

The piece of paper slides around freely until I get to 40mm, then it needs a light tap to move all around. Am I okay?

Jun 30, 2014 at 06:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Safe to do on a 17-40L??

herion wrote:
" If it doesn't move. but does move after a light tap, then there is no contact."

The piece of paper slides around freely until I get to 40mm, then it needs a light tap to move all around. Am I okay?

In my books, yes. As long as there's no grit on the front element - which is one of the reasons that I figure you want to use the filter, eh?

I devised this test for my EF 135/2L, which touches the Tamron centre-pinch caps that I generally use, but does not touch the OEM Canon cap.

Jun 30, 2014 at 06:59 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Safe to do on a 17-40L??

Thanks everyone!

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:09 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Safe to do on a 17-40L??

There is so much clearance around the front element of the 17-40L a normal sized filter works fine. I use a standard Hoya polarizer on mine and there is absolutely no vignette. A standard sized filter has a thicker rim sits higher above the front element than a slim filter.

Also, the EW-83H from my 24-105L fits the 17-40, provides more coverage and doesn't vignette on my 6D. A lot easy to fit in my camera bag than the EW-83E that came with the 17-40.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:45 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Safe to do on a 17-40L??

Gochugogi wrote:
There is so much clearance around the front element of the 17-40L a normal sized filter works fine. I use a standard Hoya polarizer on mine and there is absolutely no vignette. A standard sized filter has a thicker rim sits higher above the front element than a slim filter.

Also, the EW-83H from my 24-105L fits the 17-40, provides more coverage and doesn't vignette on my 6D. A lot easy to fit in my camera bag than the EW-83E that came with the 17-40.

I swapped the regular UV filter I had on my 28-70 with the slim one - then I did Jim's paper test and it was moving around freely!

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!

Jul 02, 2014 at 07:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.