Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · I have an RX1, should I get Sigma 50.4 Art?

kabraxcis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I have an RX1, should I get Sigma 50.4 Art?

I currently own

RX1, 6D, Samyang 14/24/85mm, 80-200L

Should I get a 50.4 Art or not? It does bother me that I have no AF-possible lens in the 35~80 length, but so far I haven't felt a need to get a 50mm. Maybe I should just get a 85L?

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I have an RX1, should I get Sigma 50.4 Art?

Get the 50/1.8 II, see if you like/prefer 50mm. If so, toss a coin between the 50L and the 50 Art- based on your current collection, you may prefer the rendering of the Canon more. The 85L II would just be a $2000 replacement for your SY85.

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I have an RX1, should I get Sigma 50.4 Art?

Something else to think about: whether with your AF you would like even *more* convenience, i.e. a zoom lens.

(Also, note there are some good 3rd party lenses with AF besides just the Sigma 50A.)

Jun 30, 2014 at 01:26 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I have an RX1, should I get Sigma 50.4 Art?

Yes.

Jul 03, 2014 at 10:34 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I have an RX1, should I get Sigma 50.4 Art?

Or you can try a Canon 40 STM if the f2.8 doesn't bother you. Cheap, tiny, excellent IQ.
It's relatively close to the 50mm, so you could get a feel for the focal length and would still be useful in the future should you choose to get the Sigma.
One lens for light travel, one lens for superior IQ and speed.

Jul 03, 2014 at 08:19 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I have an RX1, should I get Sigma 50.4 Art?

As is always the case, the following words are probably going to come off as being strongly opinionated and are derived from my experiences as an event photographer that may not apply to you - they sure as hell don't gel with a lot of folks experiences here:

I tried the canon 50L - its was a PITA and got sent back but I liked the FL. Ended up buying a Zeiss 50 MP and LOVED it. Phenomenal lens that renders just like the best of Zeiss' old school glass. I kept it for about 5 months before I sold it because it overlapped with my beloved 35L and 85L. I really don't understand why someone would own a 35mm and 50mm ultra wide aperture prime since the FL do have quite a bit of overlap. I can always walk closer for a portrait but I can't step back with a 50mm to get the wider view. I use a 35mm lens as my general walkaround/travel lens in the way that a lot of people use a 16-35 or 24-70. It is my go to normal FL lens.

All of that said, having a solid normal range AF lens could be worthwhile for you, seeing as the rest of your lenses are MF. If you are OK with MF lenses, I would strongly push you in the direction of the Zeiss 50 macro-planar at least to try it - it is a magnificent lens for macro and is colossally better than any of your samyang/rokinon lenses in terms of color/contrast/bokeh/rendering. It is a lens that will teach you very quickly that there is a lot more to a photograph than pure sharpness - which is what sigma and rokinon are chasing after in general (in my experience). I haven't used either of the new Art lenses and have heard mostly good things about them except for low light AF (which I have gotten mixed reviews about).

TLDR: Try the Zeiss 50MP and Sigma 50 Art from lensrentals.com and see which one you like more. You might surprise yourself if you look at the whole picture and not just the sharpness.

50MP vs 50 art at f/2.0:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=727&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=941&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

addendum (completely off topic): the 85L is a huge improvement in terms of everything over the rokinon 85. This is from my experience having owned both back to back. The canon 85L is one of the most inspiring lenses I have ever owned whereas the SY/R 85 was just cool because it had a wide aperture and didn't suck too bad wide open. I have yet to find another lens that can take photos wide open in incredibly low light scenarios like that bad boy can. Further - it obliterates backgrounds.

85L vs rokinon 85 at f/1.4
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=772&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=397&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=1

50MP:
http://www.joshuakamnetz.com/TheRest-2/F1-Race-1/2013-Summer/i-v58CCpK/0/XL/Red%20Bud%20Island-66-XL.jpg
http://www.joshuakamnetz.com/TheRest-2/F1-Race-1/2013-Spring/i-5hDLDSN/0/XL/Independence%20day-2-XL.jpg

85L
http://www.joshuakamnetz.com/TheRest-2/F1-Race-1/UTMB-AMWA-Ball-2013/i-WjLX5CN/0/XL/untitled-414-XL.jpg
^ This was taken with just a streetlight about a block away.

http://www.joshuakamnetz.com/TheRest-2/F1-Race-1/UTMB/i-rPrQLKt/0/XL/TGIT%20Africa-49-XL.jpg
http://www.joshuakamnetz.com/TheRest-2/F1-Race-1/UTMB/i-wrB2rB7/0/XL/Harlem%20Wobble%20-136-XL.jpg

Edited on Jul 03, 2014 at 08:38 PM · View previous versions

Jul 03, 2014 at 08:33 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I have an RX1, should I get Sigma 50.4 Art?

Yeah the main difficulty is that I think the RX1 should cover anywhere between 35~50, and feel like I should just get a 85L, except that begs the question of how often I'll use it. Maybe I'll save up for an A7 system when the next batch of bodies and lenses comes out

Jul 10, 2014 at 01:55 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I have an RX1, should I get Sigma 50.4 Art?

kabraxcis wrote:
Yeah the main difficulty is that I think the RX1 should cover anywhere between 35~50, and feel like I should just get a 85L, except that begs the question of how often I'll use it. Maybe I'll save up for an A7 system when the next batch of bodies and lenses comes out

If you think that the 35mm FL of the RX1 can cover the Sigma Art 50 FL, then it makes sense for the RX1 to be your 2nd body for that FL instead of having the lens alone.
Many shooters, especially prime users, shoot with two bodies at different FL.
The RX1 happens to be small and much lighter than the Sigma 50 lens, so it makes it easy to carry as a 2nd body/lens.
It probably is a bit strange to go from a 6D to a RX1 in terms of a two body setup in regards to handling and performance.

And yes, a RX1 covering the wide with a 6D + 85L covering the tele would be sweet.

Jul 10, 2014 at 04:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.