Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2014 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

The previous cameras were half-baked, the new ones are double-baked?

Jul 14, 2014 at 05:06 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

One nice thing about shooting 'alt gear' in the form of the 8x10 Deardorff is that in hot weather the black bellows heats up enough that it kills the mosquitoes and flies that get inside and might land on the film when you remove the dark slide to take a photo. ;-)>

Jul 14, 2014 at 09:18 PM
apsphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

here is my write up about my experiences with the camera from the trial. In a nutshell, it has great resolution and color, but is slow and requires care in usage. It definitely has some quirks, and the raw software is a bit rough and has some bugs. More details can be found on my blog. I am not sure I am going to get one, really kind of on the fence. It might be a nice addition, but I think it is a specialized camera and is really just a niche camera. I was tempted by the Merrills but never used one. I might rent one just to see how it handles compared to the Quattro.

Sigma DP2Q

Alan

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:16 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

Nice write-up Alan

I finally got notification mine will reach me on Aug. 6th, so just a few weeks to wait.

The Merrill's basically have the same quirks as the Q, and are even a little slower. However, you can get them for under $500 (at least for the DP2m) so that price kind of changes things in terms of expectations and usage justification. Specialized tools for niche market indeed, but to me, $500 sure goes down a bit easier than $999.

I've got the 2 and just bought the DP3m (again). It ended up costing me a little under $1000 for the both of them, buying used.

I think I'm going to pair them with a Ricoh GR, as the 3 can all share the batteries and give me a 28/45/75 setup, with the GR able to also do 21mm with its conversion lens.

The DP1m simply isn't as good as the 2 and 3, and the GR would give some advantages like higher ISO performance, a flash, better battery life and pocket-ability.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:38 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

I find the DP2M a joy to shoot with. I'm not expecting anything other than a slow, methodical camera so my mind is in the proper space to work with such a camera. Once there, I find it an absolutely wonderful camera. The only digital that I own that I still crave to shoot from time to time.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:44 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

It certainly is a back to basics interface, which works quite well, and there is nothing to "get wrong" on it.

No mistakes about being in HDR or dynamic range optimization modes, or having an art filter applied, or pano mode etc etc. The camera has none of that.

Its basically set the aperture value, keep it at ISO100, and use some EC as needed. Set the 2 or 10 second timer and hit the shutter.

Its a camera you never have to menu dive with because there just really aren't any options to change.

Maybe turn on/off bracketing, which can be accessed from the quick menu, and that is about it.

AF or MF with 9 focus points. There isn't 2 pages of AF options, tracking speeds, subject lock on, picking which eye you want in focus, and which button you want to assign to that feature etc.

Freeing in a way, because all you have to do is basically just point the camera, pick your aperture and exposure and press the shutter.

Not going to spend any time pairing this one with smart phone or downloading apps for it (Yes, current Sony models have in camera apps you can buy and download to apply more art filters, watercolor mode etc). Doesn't do any of that.

That means you can devote all that spare brain power, which usually would be keeping track of the 201 different features your camera has, to composition.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy my gadgets too, but they can distract from photography.

Instead of making a nice image, I can waste a whole walk just shooting mailboxes to play with the 75 different filter effects and do in camera HDR etc.

I'll come home with 300 images on the card, but they were all just playing around with features.

With the Merrill, I can come home with 10 pictures, but with no excuses or distractions, I actually look for things to take pictures of!

Jul 22, 2014 at 01:17 AM
apsphoto
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

Thanks Millsart. I think I am going to look for a good deal on a dp3 merrill and see what I can find. The nice thing is it is so small it easy to carry in addition to other cameras.

Alan

Jul 22, 2014 at 09:13 AM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

Thanks for the write up Alan!

One minor quibble. This:

one of the disadvantages is the sensor records each color in a different layer, the deeper the layer the lower the intensity of light as it penetrates deeper, and this can lead to more apparent noise

Isn't true at all. Well, the more noise is true but the reason you give is completely incorrect. There are really two reasons the layered sensor produces more noise in the final image and neither of those reasons have anything to do with light intensity dropping off with depth (it doesn't actually). I'd suggest deleting that line and just putting in something like "the disadvantage is that the layered filtering method results in more noise in the final image".

Again, thanks for the very helpful hands on review.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:12 AM
apsphoto
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

Thanks kwalsh for the correction.

alan

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

Alan, KEH has a Like New (-) rated DP3m for $572 right now, decent price

There are some great prices from Japaneses sellers on Amazon and Ebay as well, however, sometimes the shipping cost and brokerage fee's can be high, not to mention sometimes take a few weeks for delivery.

I'd probably go domestic

Jul 22, 2014 at 06:51 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

Thanks millsart, I have been looking at that at keh. I might just go for new at $649.

Alan

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:48 AM
apsphoto
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

Adorama has said the Quattro is now shipping here in the US, also got an email from Sigma that they are avaiable. If anyone is interested.

Alan

Aug 07, 2014 at 11:58 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

I bought from one of the ebay Japanese dealers (DP3M). I really did not care about the brokerage and shipping fees ($200) because the "in my hands price" was still better than anywhere domestic, I paid $510 or so total price. Like new from a Japanese site means NEW.

Aug 07, 2014 at 07:26 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

Wow, I wonder why the fees ($200) were so high? I don't recall ever paying a "brokerage" fee. Maybe that has to do with the shipping method (Fedex, UPS vs Japan Post/ Priority Mail)? On used gear, I don't think the shipping has exceeded around $35 or so using expedited regular mail.
Good total price nontheless.

Aug 07, 2014 at 07:48 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Sigma DP Merrill Quattro test results yet?

I personally think it was a combo of trying to offer a 300 price then marking up the fees and shipping. Got it in a week or so. Gear was perfect...perfect meaning I could not tell it had ever been used. Maybe opened, but unused condition. Very happy. I dont care that they marked up the heck on shipping, the in my hands price was very attractive. And IMO the DP3M is easily worthy of the same praise for IQ/lens as the DP2M.

Aug 07, 2014 at 10:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.