New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · B&W Film Portrait

maxwell1295
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B&W Film Portrait

This was a bit of an experiment using an extension tube with the Pentax 6x7/105mm f2.4 combo. It's by far my favorite portrait setup, but I wanted to be able to focus a bit closer with it. I grabbed a set of Pentax Takumar extension tubes from Adorama last week and this was one of the first test shots I took. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out...

Pentax 6x7
105mm/2.4 w/Extension Tube #1
Ilford Delta 3200 film

http://www.alanabramsphotography.com/images/film/delta_3200/elise_007.jpg

Edited on Jul 12, 2014 at 07:12 AM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:43 AM
BonnieIris

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B&W Film Portrait

Beautiful.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:52 AM
tsvng
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B&W Film Portrait

That's some sexy grain!

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:31 AM
JesseShotland
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B&W Film Portrait

Medium format is so beautiful. Especially big medium format.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:42 AM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B&W Film Portrait

I used to use medium format film until the late 90's. We have come so far from those film days. Film has a quaint look, but seems like such a huge step backwards to me. That film look can certainly be reproduced in digital if that's what you want.

To me, this shot looks soft, washed out (no black point or dynamic range), and is way too grainy. But if it is what you wanted, there is no point arguing about art. Glad your happy with it. Keep experimenting! Thanks for posting.

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B&W Film Portrait

I think the grain is actually too fine. I would like to see a grainier look to the image.

Currently, the grain is too similar in size to the skin pores, so I can't tell if I'm looking at pores or grain in some of the skin areas. (Maybe trying pushing the film a stop or more?)

I also would like to see a little more contrast added either with film selection or in post after the scan.

Jun 30, 2014 at 01:39 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B&W Film Portrait

Thanks for the feedback...

This was my first time shooting this particular film. It doesn't seem to offer much in the way of contrast. It was expired (I have no idea for how long) so that may have something to do with it. Had it been shot at box speed and pushed a bit in developing, that may have done the trick.

As for the grain, it's a lot finer than I thought it would be and lot finer than samples I've seen online. I definitely expected more of it, especially given the ASA of the film. Had this been shot with the 35mm version of this film (I happen to have a few rolls) I'm sure the grain would have been more pronounced and lot 'chunkier' than this. Either way, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Jun 30, 2014 at 01:55 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · B&W Film Portrait

Thanks for the feedback...

This was my first time shooting this particular film. It doesn't seem to offer much in the way of contrast. It was expired (I have no idea for how long) so that may have something to do with it. Had it been shot at box speed and pushed a bit in developing, that may have done the trick.

As for the grain, it's a lot finer than I thought it would be and lot finer than samples I've seen online. I definitely expected more of it, especially given the ASA of the film. Had this been shot with the 35mm version of this film (I happen to have a few rolls) I'm sure the grain would have been more pronounced and lot 'chunkier' than this. Either way, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Jun 30, 2014 at 01:55 PM
mldNYC

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · B&W Film Portrait

Very cool.

I love the ilford delta 3200 film grain, we drum scanned a shot of a grey card using that film and I often place it over my artsy b&w digital files... sometimes i'll enlarge the grain for a clumpier feel.

Jun 30, 2014 at 02:03 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · B&W Film Portrait

Fwiw Delta 3200 is a pretty fragile film wrt storage and expiration. It's a lower contrast film inherently for the purposes of pushing, although it is usable (some feel preferable) rated at its true speed of 1600.

The contrast issue is mostly the expired factor, IMHO.

Her mouth is emphasized in this shot, both due to angle and focus. My gaze goes to mouth before eyes.

Jun 30, 2014 at 02:48 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · B&W Film Portrait

The grain, the tones, the light from camera top left. I love it.

The only thing I can point out is that there's some dust. And most dust doesn't bother me, but the dust on her upper lip bothers me a tad.

Beautiful, man.

Jun 30, 2014 at 04:15 PM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · B&W Film Portrait

I personally love how this has come out! Love the relatively low contrast and even the grain is quite fine, thought it would be more pronounced for a 3200 film. Good job!

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:36 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · B&W Film Portrait

dope
grain is god

Jul 01, 2014 at 01:36 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · B&W Film Portrait

Thanks guys!

Evan, I think you're probably spot on about the storage and expiration. You're definitely spot on about the focus. The extension tube makes the already thin DoF even thinner. I bought the film expired and out of the wrappers from eBay and shot this as a test to see if it was usable at all. This was shot at 1600 and I had to lift exposure in post. I may try shooting some at 800 later on today to see if that yields better results. Other than the focus, I'm pretty happy with this one though.

Jul 03, 2014 at 09:38 AM
bhpheart

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · B&W Film Portrait

Nice picture..

Jul 04, 2014 at 08:58 PM
greenmt

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · B&W Film Portrait

her look is so profound

Jul 05, 2014 at 02:36 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.