Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

hobbit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

I've been doing some research on a monopod head for my Feisol 1471 monopod, 5D III and 200 2.0 set up for shooting my children’s sports (tball, eventually baseball, soccer, possibly gymnastics in the years ahead).

I went to B&H and was impressed with the build quality of the Surui L10 head and felt it was similar to the typical build quality of RRS products. With the Surui L10 priced at half the RRS MH-01 (I already have a RRS plate for the 200 2.0, so there wouldn't be an incremental cost there), it seems like the only thing I’m really giving up is the ability to shift the monopod plate 90 degrees to use it with a plated camera body/short lens combo.

My question to those who use monopods for sports photography is, how often do you shoot with short lenses on a monopod? Wouldn't you tend to handhold the camera in those instances?

Considering the RRS made the MH-02, allowing tool-free shifting of the head, there must be people who frequently use it. Before I purchase the Surui L10, I wanted to check and see if I’m making a mistake trying to save myself some money.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:52 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

Any telephoto lens I use (200 f/1.8, 300 f/2.8, 400 f/2.8) is secured directly to my monopod. Use of a 70-200 f/2.8 and anything smaller is hand-held.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:13 AM
craig_k
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

I bought the l-10 for a friend and bought a benro panning clamp here at FM so it'd have "rotational" function. I own the mh-02 myself and the l-10+panning clamp set was an excellent workaround to mimic the mh-02 "tool-less" function.....I use RRS l plates on all my camera bodies, along with the mh-02 and mc-34...use 70-200 2.8 is, 135 2.0, 24-70 2.8, to shoot working ranch equines near daily....the sirui l10 with additional attached panning clamp will suit you well.....
article on how I found the work around for my friend:
http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2012/07/22/sunwayfoto-ddh-02-and-dt-01-review/

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:23 AM
picboy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

I rarely see anyone use a tilt head on a monopod. Can't think of when I have seen a setup like that. To tell the truth, I would only use this on a tripod. You might try learning to use the monopod without the extra hardware first. It is much safer.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:44 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

Mount direct. Much easier and cheaper.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:11 AM
hobbit
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

Thanks for the idea about the panning base craig. Could be a nice workaround down the road if I feel shortchanged by the limitations of the Surui.

As for the suggestions about direct mounting, I've felt limited using the monopod this way in certain instances with tball. For example, using a long prime (subject fills most of the frame) and shooting the infielders I've needed to pan down a bit from time to time. Could be a function of shooting more in landscape versus portrait.

Jun 30, 2014 at 02:15 PM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

Mount direct with an Arco Swiss clamp.

With a heavy glass, adding a tilt head is asking for trouble... I just takes a moment of inattention (or when grabbing your spare body with the shorter lens) and the tilt head could tilt if not secured properly and either damage your gear or hurt you ( or someone).

my $0.02.

Denis
www.widgic.com

Jun 30, 2014 at 02:24 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

Which reminds me....

I have a tilt head on my Faisol for the last 3 years. Shoot sports twice a week every summer. Never once tilted it. Time to sell. (Not soliciting.)

Jul 01, 2014 at 08:19 PM
hobbit
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

^ which brand tilt head?

Jul 01, 2014 at 08:50 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

I personally very much like the tilt head with my 300 2.8, it allows me to pan without chasing around the monopod. With a slight tilt up, the foot of the pod sits right next to my ankle, and I can pivot just like it were handheld. Particularly useful in tighter quarters...

With smaller lenses, and if I will be in a position for an extended period (like a marathon, etc), I will use a lightweight monopod direct or with a Hejnar clamp I borrowed off my nodal slide, so no pivot, and it works fine.

Paul

Jul 01, 2014 at 11:12 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

The only time I use the head you are talking about is if i'm standing in front of a 4 to 5 ft stage and shooting all day, I use it for the up angle. Otherwise 99.9% of the time I'm mounted straight to the mono pod like the others. The sports you mentioned don't need that head. If the athletes are really young and on the small side than shoot from low angle on a collapsible stool for the eye level shot.

Andy

Jul 12, 2014 at 06:19 PM
mcarlson
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

Go to any professional sports game and look at the photographer. Go to virtually any DI college game and look at the photographers. Guess how many 'tilt' heads you'll see? Mount the lens directly to the monopod and move a little forward if you need to tilt down? The less 'movement' in a rapidly moving sport the better your chances. In any fast moving sport you'll not be able to grip and tilt fast enough to really benefit from using the monopod in the first place. Just one humble opinion...

Jul 13, 2014 at 09:15 AM
pat.kane
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Monopod tilt head: RRS MH Series vs Surui L10

hobbit wrote:
As for the suggestions about direct mounting, I've felt limited using the monopod this way in certain instances with tball. For example, using a long prime (subject fills most of the frame) and shooting the infielders I've needed to pan down a bit from time to time. Could be a function of shooting more in landscape versus portrait.

I would think this is only an issue if you're shooting from a standing position. Why not sit, kneel, or lay on the ground to provide a better perspective and eliminate the need to tilt down?

Jul 13, 2014 at 06:03 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.