FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens
Bryan at The-Digital-Picture.com posted his review on the new Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens.

Here is an excerpt:
"Canon's ultra-wide angle zoom lenses have long been very good performers. I have them and use them, but I was never overly excited by them – until now. The focal length range is not new and the max aperture in this range was already covered by another high quality lens. But, the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens adds one critical feature – image stabilization. That feature alone gives this lens a huge value to me.

Equally or more exciting is the image quality being delivered by this lens. If prime-lens-grade corner-of-the-frame image quality is something you appreciate in your ultra-wide angle lens, you are going to love this lens. Add a state-of-the-art AF system and the 16-35 f/4 L IS becomes a must-have lens."
Read full review

Canon EF 16–35mm f/4L IS USM lens ($1,199)

B&H Photo | Adorama

Jul 01, 2014 at 10:31 AM
SKumar25
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Looks like another winner from Canon.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

As much as I like TDP he does need to drive sales through the links - he also said great things about the 16-35 f2.8L II in its review. My point is to take his reviews with a grain of salt - being aware of the above - and to perhaps not rush to purchase if you are unsure. It is still early days.

Feeling pessimistic.

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:56 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Paul Mo wrote:
As much as I like TDP he does need to drive sales through the links - he also said great things about the 16-35 f2.8L II in its review.

Compare that lens from wide open to moderate apertures with Nikon's 17-35/2.8G, and it's easy to think that one has found the pillar of optical excellence in the Canon .

But neither fast UWA zoom is primarily a 'landscape' lens, unlike the new 16-35/4L and Nikon's 14-24/2.8G. And the new Canon comes close to the venerable Nikon while maintaining weather sealing and a filter thread, exceeding anything else in either companies' stable.

Jun 30, 2014 at 02:00 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Very informative review. I think I will be picking up a copy of this lens ... probably when I see refurb stock. I own the 16-35 2.8 II and still want to see some comparisons in the 20mm - 24mm range.

Jun 30, 2014 at 03:01 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Paul Mo wrote:
As much as I like TDP he does need to drive sales through the links - he also said great things about the 16-35 f2.8L II in its review.

He rarely, if ever, says anything bad about the products he reviews...

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:12 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

His image crops show it is very good at 16-24mm and a little disappointing beyond that. Not unlike the f2.8 version. I want to like it, but since I don't use ultrawides much at all, I don't think it is for me - the 24-70mm II is better 28-35mm and the primes are too. At 24mm the zoom looks as good as the 24 IS although it clearly has more distortion. It's not quite the knockout blow to the primes I had expected though.

Jun 30, 2014 at 08:58 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Paul Mo wrote:
As much as I like TDP he does need to drive sales through the links - he also said great things about the 16-35 f2.8L II in its review. My point is to take his reviews with a grain of salt - being aware of the above - and to perhaps not rush to purchase if you are unsure. It is still early days.

Feeling pessimistic.

I often wonder why some posters seem to resent it when those who write reviews include links to vendors on their sites. There is not much incentive for folks to write lengthy and thorough reviews like this one and share them for free, and the links let them bring in some income from those who find their reviews useful and make purchases through the links.

And you can always ignore those links and simply read the article — in which case it is completely free.

I thought that the review was quite balanced in regards to the strengths and weaknesses of the three Canon ultra wide zooms that it mentions. From everything we read, the new lens does seem to be an excellent performer, primarily in terms of its optical performance (measured in terms of absolute resolution, corner performance, and image quality) and features (the IS in particular), and it sounds like a fine lens for many photographers. At the same time, the 17-40 will remain a viable option and at a much lower cost, and the other 16-35 does offer an additional stop of aperture for those who want that for their shooting.

It is not always the case that one lens is the The Best Lens Ever or that there must be a #1, #2, and #3. I'm more interested in reviews by those who understand this and who can lay out the qualities and features of the lenses, their strengths and weaknesses, and then let intelligent photographers align the lens attributes with their own shooting needs.

Take care,

Dan

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:39 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Dan, I agree. I have found Bryan Carnathan's reviews useful, and in this instance he was one of several influences that led me to order the lens, so I used a link on his site to give him that little bit of support. Some bias is unavoidable, but I think Carnathan tries to be an honest guide.

I keep my Buy/Sell FM membership active even in years that I don't sell or buy anything, just to help support the site - though I'd guess that Fred is doing just fine! Anyway, now I've got a few lenses to sell over on that board!

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:56 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

My main reason to hesitate on this lens is that it is not 14-24. I would trade IS for a wider lens. f4 is not a problem. If I had a 14-24, I could leave my Samyang 14 home.

I would only use f2.8 for night shots and until noise levels at ISO3200 are as good as current noise levels at ISO800 night shots are not worth the effort to me. Besides, I still have the Samyang.

My style of shooting requires a tripod to get multi shot brackets for blending.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Agree about TDP. His comments don't always match perhaps what the image crops suggest, but there again the image crops are at only one distance etc etc and it is best to get experience working with the lens for some time in the field. He also does find plenty wrong with things he reviews, he just tries to be nice about it when he does. One problem is I assume is that he feels the pressure to review it quickly and I do wonder whether he may change his mind a little as time passes and I'm not sure he updates things. These issues are common to most lens reviews.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

I find most of his reviews written as a cheerleader for canon. However, I find his image quality test page invaluable. Although not all encompassing they offer a quick comparable view into a particular lenses image quality.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

His review matches my experience exactly with this lens... It is a stunner.

I no longer have to stop down to f/11 and f/13 with a 17-40L to sharpen the edges/corners... f/5.6 does just as good on this lens. Three stops for the same sharpness is pretty crazy.

I was also doing .5 and longer hand-held exposures at night with great results... No tripod needed which is always a plus for me. They are a hassle where I generally shoot...

Everything is fantastic about the lens. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Compliments my 24-70 II and 70-200 II perfectly.

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Paul Mo wrote:

Feeling pessimistic.

I didn't know that testing sites should all be non-profit? Maybe you need to wait for the Consumer Reports test on the lens. What exactly is so wrong about sites have links to retailers? After all you're posting on FM and I remember when Fred didn't have any advertising. I guess Fred needs to do all this for free too and remove his links.

I think a big issue the many readers have is reading reviews in the context they are written. The review of the 16-35 f/2.8 was a few years ago. Brian was enthusiastic, not to drive sales, but because taken in context of the era he had every reason to be optimistic considering the 17-35mm f/2.8 and the first 16-35mm f/2.8.

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

SKumar25 wrote:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-16-35mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens.aspx

Looks like another winner from Canon.

Apologies in case this has already been posted.

This is Canon's best wide angle zoom yet. Wow. Impecable performance.

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM
newseum
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

molson wrote:

Ah, where's Rob Galbraith when you need him.

Jun 30, 2014 at 01:13 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

newseum wrote:
Ah, where's Rob Galbraith when you need him.

Rob's site went dark because he couldn't make any money. Rob also had plenty of positive product reviews, but very little advertising on his site.. So, Rob made no money, went to working teaching photography at a local college. So goes it for many photographers today.

Jun 30, 2014 at 02:35 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Invertalon wrote:
His review matches my experience exactly with this lens... It is a stunner.

Do you notice the same thing he does where the longer end makes corners trickier to get sharp on a flat, close target? On mine, I could swear I notice 100% the opposite behavior, a close, flat target needs more stopping down the wider you get, not the longer.

I no longer have to stop down to f/11 and f/13 with a 17-40L to sharpen the edges/corners... f/5.6 does just as good on this lens.

For some scenes, but if it one where you have the lower corners close in but where you also want distant stuff 100% crisp, then it seems like you need more like f/10,f/11 for corners, I think.

Jun 30, 2014 at 02:45 PM

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Paul Mo wrote:

molson wrote:

He did trash quite a few lenses, but mostly from the lower end of the food chain (20/2.8, 28/1.8, Sigma 20/1.8 etc.)
And all the talk of this 16-35/4 unit makes me want to offload my 16-35/2.8 II - anyone wanna buy? :-D

Jun 30, 2014 at 02:55 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · TDP Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Snopchenko wrote:
He did trash quite a few lenses, but mostly from the lower end of the food chain (20/2.8, 28/1.8, Sigma 20/1.8 etc.)

I used him as a primary source for not picking up Sigma's first 50/1.4 and their current 85/1.4 when I was still on my 60D; lenses that don't focus were of no use to me while I was learning.

I think he's one of the more honest guys reviewing Canon gear. Note that Canon really hasn't had a 'bad' lens release in quite some time, and so it's difficult to paint a less-than-rosy picture. About the only complaints outside of Canon's refusal to keep up with Sony in the sensor arms race are the lack of EC in M mode and lack of AF at f/8 for those bodies that could obviously handle it.

Jun 30, 2014 at 03:52 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.