New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Photo Advice for Yosemite: Glen Aulin to May Lake hike

dpbingham
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo Advice for Yosemite: Glen Aulin to May Lake hike

I'm hiking from Tuolomne meadows to Glen Aulin to May Lake in Yosemite this week. Anyone have advice for the "must do" photography spots any any other insights? Since we're packing everything in, I'm trying to keep camera equipment to a minimum. I'm planning on only bringing my 24-70mm, plus a couple of filters and a light tripod. Is that sufficient?

Jun 29, 2014 at 09:37 PM
Chaz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo Advice for Yosemite: Glen Aulin to May Lake hike

While I understand weight is a consideration, a telephoto lens is a must for me in that situation to take advantage of "compressed" landscape scenes and possible wildlife.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo Advice for Yosemite: Glen Aulin to May Lake hike

wrong forum. There's now one for these questions.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo Advice for Yosemite: Glen Aulin to May Lake hike

Odd, I thought this was the right forum. Maybe he meant to indicate it's been moved to this forum.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo Advice for Yosemite: Glen Aulin to May Lake hike

Jeffrey wrote:
wrong forum. There's now one for these questions.

It is now in the right forum. Was it somewhere else before?

I know much of this hike quite well. The early part of the Tuolumne to Glen Aulin hike passes through and near beautiful meadow and forest country. If you have the option, start early and I think you'll find the light to be at its best. (I presume that you are using the "normal" trail from the Meadows to Glen Aulin, not the popular shortcut route that starts in a different location.)

As you descend to Glen Aulin the river becomes much more turbulent and steep, and there are many opportunities here for photographs of flowing water and rocks and so forth. Once you get to Glen Aulin, reserve some time to hike down river at least a bit. Just over the rocky ridge below the camp (the trail passes around it to the left) there is a wonderful area of glaciated granite that provides many, many photographic opportunities. The river itself in this area has a lot of potential as well. If you have more time, you can hike further down the river, even to waterwheel falls, though that is a longer walk. Those who are interested in exploring and who have experience with such things can find lots of other less obvious photographic subjects in the area.

I'm less familiar with sections of the trail between Glen Aulin and May Lake. I've hiked portions of it more than once, but have missed other parts entirely. May Lake itself is a pretty lake set on a bench below Mount Hoffman, and Mount Hoffman blocks the light at certain times of the day — which can be a good thing or a problem depending on your point of view. The section between Raisin Lake and May Lakes has potential. Once at May Lake you may want to hike at least the first part of the trail towards the top of Hoffman for its increasingly alpine scenery, and the views from the top of Hoffman are wildly panoramic. Back at the lake, the bench behind the High Sierra camp provides great views back toward Tuolumne.

I presume that you'll hike down the usual route the the parking lot at the base of the May Lake trail? That is a very short hike! At that point, you'll either end your hike or perhaps take the old roadbed trail all the way back down to Tenaya Lake. (This gets you back to a shuttle stop that can take you back to Tuolumne.) I've only hiked this once, and I'm afraid I don't recall much of a photographic nature from the walk.

Good luck.

Dan

http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/5955-3/TuolumneCanyonBelowGlenAulin20110915.jpg

http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/5945-3/TreeGraniteSlabsGlenAulin20110915.jpg

Edited on Jul 01, 2014 at 10:41 PM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:26 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo Advice for Yosemite: Glen Aulin to May Lake hike

gdanmitchell wrote:
It is now in the right forum. Was it somewhere else before?
Good luck.

Dan

http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/5955-3/TuolumneCanyonBelowGlenAulin20110915.jpg

http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/5945-3/TreeGraniteSlabsGlenAulin20110915.jpg

Hey Dan, when you first commented, this thread was in the Landscape Forum you must not have noticed? That's why Jeffrey said it was in the wrong forum, since it was.

Jim

Jul 01, 2014 at 09:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo Advice for Yosemite: Glen Aulin to May Lake hike

JimFox wrote:
Hey Dan, when you first commented, this thread was in the Landscape Forum you must not have noticed? That's why Jeffrey said it was in the wrong forum, since it was.

Jim

My bad! I guess I did not notice... :-)

Dan

Jul 01, 2014 at 10:42 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.