New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Rainbow Girls

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rainbow Girls

Beautiful sunny day in NYC today with everyone out enjoying the good weather. Big Gay Pride parade here with the participants spreading out across the city.
Spent a couple of hours walking around the East Village taking street photos, testing out a 17MM Olympus micro four thirds lens on my EM1. I rented it for the weekend from Lens Rentals to see how I like it, before making a decision if I want to purchase one.
Taking photos mid day on a sunny day has it's potential problems with shadows being cast. I tried to photoshop this image to reduce the shadows on the girls but only got so far. Any suggestions are appreciated. Have a feeling that photoshop can only take you so far in dealing with shadows.

© eeneryma 2014

Rainbow Girls

Jun 29, 2014 at 08:31 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rainbow Girls

I like it! I'd probably like it a little more if the background was OOF. Did you try shooting with the lens wide open?

Jun 29, 2014 at 09:26 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rainbow Girls

Shot at F5.0, 1/1000 sec, ISO 200. I don't usually shoot with prime lenses, having preferred the flexibility of zooms. So this is a new adventure. I was probably 6-8 feet from the subject when I took this. In your estimation, what fstop would I have had to use to blur the background seeing that my 17mm lens is an F1.8? I was walking toward them, and they were walking toward me. Should I have used continuous focus rather than SAF? I had my camera set on taking multiple shots and held my finger down, recording maybe 5 or 6 shots as the girls approached. Kind of a machine gun technique. Maybe 2 or 3 of the shots came out sharp. Still experimenting with street photography to get my technique down pat. All suggestions appreciated.

Jun 29, 2014 at 09:37 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rainbow Girls

Wide open or maybe f2 or f2.8 at the smallest. Yes, continuous with a burst is probably your best bet, unless you are good at estimating distance, preset focus and time it right. That takes some serious skill.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rainbow Girls

17mm on m43 ... the whole world's gonna be in focus for many shots. Opening up your aperture will help, but the physical aperture is pretty small, even when wide open.

Jun 30, 2014 at 03:04 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rainbow Girls

From what I've read, easier to blur on full frame. But I'm enjoying the smaller size factor of four thirds. Also, for street photography, a smaller camera is more surreptitious and less in your face.

Jun 30, 2014 at 07:51 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.