Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2014 · how do you focus at receptions?

TRReichman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · how do you focus at receptions?

I do find the Af flash beam to definitely make a difference.

- trr

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:19 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · how do you focus at receptions?

myam203 wrote:
I know the pro bodies are a bit more capable, but there's no way it doesn't help when things get really dark... I can still achieve focus with my D600 in a pitch black room, because the beam provides a bright target for the camera.

My experience using SB900 with it on, made no difference on D3, D3s, D4 or even my old D700. Can't speak to any of the other bodes. Might have noticed some improvement if I was really close to my subject, six, seven feet or less. Beyond that it was a no help.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:21 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · how do you focus at receptions?

TRReichman wrote:
I do find the Af flash beam to definitely make a difference.

- trr

You will never convince me. I tested that thing upon side and down the other. It might help a little bit at really close range. But I hate telegraphing to the subject that I'm about to fire a shot.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:23 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · how do you focus at receptions?

You don't have to like it, but I'm just saying it does work. I'm sure it's less effective at longer distances, but for the way I shoot, 4-7 ft is common for dancing shots and the like.

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:26 PM
swordfishphoto
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · how do you focus at receptions?

That blows. Lemme go look.

Last weekend, Iso 640, 1.8, 1/125 of a second. AI Servo (AF-C) on my 5D2. Mostly using center, but some of the peripherals as well. and the 5D2 isn't that great with those other 8 spots. No AF assist lights or anything. Sounds like a gear issue.

Oh, and most of the shots I took were with an Olympus EM5. I'm wanting an EM1 because of the PDAF and better high Iso results, but I can't imagine trying to depend on such a huge camera like my 5D2 for an entire day. That fucker is HEAVY

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:42 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · how do you focus at receptions?

myam203 wrote:
Not the little light on the camera, but the red light on your flash.

The little light on the camera helps a lot, too, if the camera-to-subject distance isn't too far.

Jul 01, 2014 at 12:22 AM
teacher386
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · how do you focus at receptions?

I have a D600 and also struggled a bit at a reception in an extremely dark venue on Saturday. I was primarily shooting at 1/160, f/4, ISO 1000. I was using the AF flash beam to help focus and was on AF-S (realizing now that I probably should have used AF-C instead). I have an off camera flash on a stand that was triggered by PocketWizards. I'm fairly happy with what I got but I just missed a few moments because it couldn't focus fast enough.

The primary shooter was using a D3s and didn't seem to be having too many issues. However, she's been shooting for over 10 years and it's her full-time job.

Jul 01, 2014 at 09:07 AM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · how do you focus at receptions?

both the IR beam and AF-assist are extremely helpful. they absolutely do help you focus, and drunk guests dancing in a room filled with DJ lighting aren't all that aware. besides, dancing shots aren't all about being sneaky. it's great if they ham it up a little. tho posing gets annoying.

Jul 01, 2014 at 10:02 AM
karosikcreativ

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · how do you focus at receptions?

You *could* turn the aperture down as far as it needs to focus, hold the shutter button halfway, then switch aperture back up, then finish off the shutter press? Without my camera on me at the moment, not positive if that'll work, sorry if I'm mistaken.

Jul 01, 2014 at 03:21 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · how do you focus at receptions?

All current DSLRs focus wide open and stop down at the timecof exposure. So that wouldn't make any diffrence. Some mirrorless cameras stop down and that will affect AF. Especially with focus peaking enabled.

Gordon

Jul 01, 2014 at 04:24 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · how do you focus at receptions?

I agree with other that af assist beam on my flask is very useful and a lifesaver. Even if my camera can focus in very low articifial light, the af assist beam can make focusing quicker and most importantly consistent. I also agree that stopping down a little provides more leeway. Heck depending on what I shoot I prefer to stop down quite a bit since I rather have more layers in focus. Finding contrast and using the right focus points is always helpful. I use a 5D3.

Jul 02, 2014 at 01:57 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · how do you focus at receptions?

you're also talking about a d600, which doesn't have a good AF system...

Jul 02, 2014 at 02:22 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · how do you focus at receptions?

I sometimes wonder what we're calling "out of focus" for shots. What is the collective tollerance?

In an age where we study everything at 100%, sitting a foot from our screens, I sometimes wonder if an oof shot nowadays would be considered acceptable years ago.

Even in low light (ISO 3200 / 6400) at f2.8 I'm beating myself up if I don't have defined eyelashes on a moving target. The other day I was even complaining to myself that the eyelashes didn't have enough definition - even though the subject was on the move and conditions weren't favourable...!

Sometimes eyes will have a distinct shape and definition, with no obvious motion blur and clear pupils - but no distinct eyelashes. I know that when printed in an album as a 7" x 5" image it won't matter, but still the pain is there.

I think somtimes we all need retina screens so what we see is much closer to actual print resolution.

How picky are you guys, at judging whether a shot is out of focus too much?

Jul 04, 2014 at 01:40 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · how do you focus at receptions?

leethecam wrote:
How picky are you guys, at judging whether a shot is out of focus too much?

A good point Lee. Two of the photos in my portfolio are OOF. One slightly and the other quite massively so. I go by what will print well and what the image does rather than absolute technical brilliance. My clients always remark about the "amazing quality" and detail in their photographs, so... Make your own conclusions. To each their own.

Jul 04, 2014 at 03:05 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · how do you focus at receptions?

I AF-C with two D4 bodies. Works like a charm.

But for nightclub or really dark ambient shooting sometimes when I can't use my AF beam on speedlight (or OCF strobe with DSLR lamp disabled), I used to manually focus with the hyperfocal distance in mind because at certain apertures (say, f/4-4.5), and a certain distance away, I know they'll be close-to-or-in focus at 24mm range (I use the 24/1.4G for 60-70% of my wedding photography).

It's not really a problem anymore with the D4. If it's too dark for the D4 for focus, AF-beam on SB-910 assists.

Here's a chart to help calculate, I think. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/hyperfocal-distance.htm

Edited on Jul 09, 2014 at 04:16 PM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2014 at 04:12 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · how do you focus at receptions?

ricardovaste wrote:
Two of the photos in my portfolio are OOF. One slightly and the other quite massively so.

Wait, say it isn't so!

Jul 09, 2014 at 04:16 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · how do you focus at receptions?

MRomine wrote:
Wait, say it isn't so!

?

Right, I think you are probably speaking about the recent thread I posted. No. That image is not in my portfolio. Safe to say that went completely over your head, so probably best you don't beat the dead horse.

Jul 10, 2014 at 09:32 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · how do you focus at receptions?

ricardovaste wrote:
?

Right, I think you are probably speaking about the recent thread I posted. No. That image is not in my portfolio. Safe to say that went completely over your head, so probably best you don't beat the dead horse.

I'm giving you a hard time, it was a tease man.

Jul 10, 2014 at 09:49 AM
vquangle

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · how do you focus at receptions?

Yeah I have the same problem with my 5d MK II at very low light situation... What makes it worst is that most of the time only the center Cross type works well in low light all the other focus point are useless in low light... I feel like manual focus don't work too well for me either. Thinking about grabbing a EG-S for manual focusing, I do agree that it is faster

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:33 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · how do you focus at receptions?

vquangle wrote:
Thinking about grabbing a EG-S for manual focusing

I use that in one of my bodies. Just remember that the EG-S is also a dimmer screen so it's a bit harder to see through the viewfinder when the room light is really low. Especially noticeable when using f/2.8 or f/4 lenses instead of fast primes.

Jul 27, 2014 at 03:11 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.