New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · SmugMug Stats gone wild

Bernie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SmugMug Stats gone wild

After a number of emails back and forth since I was seeing stats tallied in private galleries, I finally get back from SM:

We just changed some things on our end. I just realized that this change will now show owner hits. So that's what you're seeing

So don't worry about hits in private galleries, they're from you. For example, each time you view your homepage you will count hits on the logo.

I emailed them again this morning because galleries were still tallying even those marked "Private" and I hadn't been in them.

It's enough to give someone a heart attack when you think that someone (or thing) is crawling your private galleries doing screen scrapes or something....

Anyone else seeing stats out of the ordinary? With all this going on, yesterday was my highest count day ever. Why don't I feel good?

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SmugMug Stats gone wild

Do you use Google Analytics as well?? I'd check there BEFORE freaking out.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SmugMug Stats gone wild

No, I don't use them, Thanks for the suggestion. The latest from SM:

Lindy Wilson
JUN 29, 2014 | 08:23AM PDT
Hi Bernard,

Thank you for your reply.

I've emailed our engineer that handles the stats. It's not impossible for us to have issues beyond the changes, but you should know that our logged in views will also be included. We heroes will often ask one another for help, and that does involve logged in views from one or more heroes looking in your galleries, so do keep that in mind, as well.

That said, you could see more hits, as I included your galleries and email in my message to the engineer and heroes.

Once we have a certainty of what hits are being, and should be captured, we will see about having the help page updated, or the viewing stats fixed. (The fix might not be something that can be done immediately, if it involves a "rebuild" of the tool.)

We thank you for bringing this to our attention. I hope the stats are working normally soon.

Have a great day,
Lindy Wilson
SmugMug Support Hero

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SmugMug Stats gone wild

They call them Support Heros?

Jun 30, 2014 at 06:01 AM
outdoorwalk

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SmugMug Stats gone wild

I noticed this morning (monday june 30 2014) that smugmug is counting my own hits from anywhere on my site while I'm logged in, in any gallery, unlisted or public. Several weeks ago I was also getting hits in galleries where I'm the only one who knows the URL, I store some archived work there for safe keeping - yet I was getting multiple views over a period of several weeks.

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:28 PM
outdoorwalk

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SmugMug Stats gone wild

Tue July 1, Still counting my own hits.

Jul 01, 2014 at 07:23 PM
outdoorwalk

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SmugMug Stats gone wild

Wed Jul 2. Still getting hits as before - by anyone, logged in or not, in any gallery.

Hits in galleries inaccessible to anyone but me and an assistant have not received any hits for a few days, except...

Sometime last year I set up an unlisted gallery to store the "slideshow" photos that show on my homepage. I set the slideshow to start at a random spot in the gallery, then show in sequence. A few weeks ago one of the photos started showing hits way out of proportion to the others - by a margin of about 10 to 1. I changed my password, my assistant password, moved the photos to a new gallery, made sure the gallery isn't discoverable, and I'm still getting just about the same hit rate. When I test the slideshow logged on and off, I see a random start, no one photo is singled out, at least when I'm viewing it.

Jul 02, 2014 at 03:35 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SmugMug Stats gone wild

Savas K wrote:
They call them Support Heros?

Geniuses was already taken.

Jul 02, 2014 at 03:49 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SmugMug Stats gone wild

Rather belatedly, I was pointed to a post by their president. It seems they have changed their image caching so that an image will tally a hit no matter who views it, owner included.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247841

However, I'm still seeing some dramatically increased numbers....

Jul 03, 2014 at 11:04 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SmugMug Stats gone wild

You will need some more sophisticated tracking analytics (e.g. Google Analytics) to determine where those hits are coming from. I had a huge surge of hits to my blog as well (up 7000% from the day before), and found out that one of my galleries had been featured on Flipboard (a popular media aggregator app for iPads). Analytics will also show web crawlers ... usually they will stick around for 0 seconds with a bounce rate of 100%.

If you are convinced that your tracker is counting your own hits, you can download a Chrome extension to block Google Analytics from counting those hits. But of course it will only work on the browsers/computers you set it up on. I think GA also has some features for blocking certain IP addresses, which might work better.

Jul 09, 2014 at 02:05 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.