Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

Going by the amount of scams, and reports of, here at FM - would say selling domestically poses the greater risk!

Jul 05, 2014 at 09:08 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

Savas K wrote:
That's what I call a gotcha wannabe. Think. I need not elaborate on elevated risk of loss of products going across borders.

Still don't see the extra risk. If a parcel goes missing in the US...how is it different if it went missing in say Canada? If you don't purchase insurance...you are out of luck in either case.

Jul 05, 2014 at 09:11 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

Savas K wrote:
The main point of Millsart’s thread the way I see it is that when he states no international sales, then someone in another country recklessly does the purchase. I believe that the real issue is that Millsart doesn’t want to sell to a knucklehead that either 1.) can’t read, 2.) has problems with reading comprehension, or perhaps 3.) just doesn’t give a crap about Millsart’s preference. Then the knucklehead doesn't communicate afterward, to top it all off.

Is it that hard to extrapolate that the risk of something going bad is elevated when conducting business with a knucklehead that flouts
...Show more

So there are no knuckleheads in the US. Funny, I've run across my share of them.

Jul 05, 2014 at 09:12 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

D_Sh wrote:
I think it is the right of the seller to decide to sell internationally or not. Also Ebay could come up with solution to prevent it, by simply disabling bids from the users with IP addresses outside of the US if the seller does not want to ship internationally.

I live in Canada, but quite often I have items shipped to my friend in Portland and pick it up when I see her.

Jul 05, 2014 at 09:14 PM
D_Sh
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

I live in Moscow and buy a lot on Ebay or from US stores directly, since some of the items are just not available in Russia. I appreciate sellers that do sell internationally, but agree that it would involve more risk for them. The turnaround is much longer and you have to deal with custom office, which can return the item w/o any explanation (my battery that I bought from China was sent back to China :-( ).

Jul 06, 2014 at 04:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

The costs for insured and tracked shipping outside of North America are high, especially for items worth more than $1000, which is the max. Canada Post coverage for shipping outside of Canada. For international shipping, it's important to use a delivery service with guaranteed delivery within a month. Any shipment longer than 45 days puts the seller in severe jeopardy, as the buyer can file a claim for undelivered goods (before the 45 day limit for claim submission expires), and get a refund - then the item arrives. Seller ends up paying for the shipping and buyer gets the item for free.

Consider a lens that sells for $1800. Example minimum costs for insured shipping with tracking from Canada are shown below (med. size box, 2 kg).

to Canada, Canada Post Expedited, $53
to USA, FedEx Ground, $96
to UK, FedEx International Economy, $217

These example costs to the US and UK do not include local sales tax and possible import fees that the buyer has to pay on delivery.

I once had to eat the insured shipping expenses for sending a $3800 lens to an FM member in the US; he refused to pay the local sales tax (which I warned him about), and back it came. I sent him a full refund and I haven't offered an item on FM B&S since then. eBay might have some annoying 'features' (many of them, in fact), but it's far more reliable than any other methods for selling to a remote buyer.

Jul 06, 2014 at 05:35 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

I've come across several US based sellers who list their auctions with International shipping, which is the ONLY reason I see them here in Australia (otherwise they would not come up in Ebay AU searches), but they also state in the description that they will only post to US addresses. To me this is just about fraud and should be banned by Ebay. By advertising an auction with International shipping the auction appears in search engines all over the world, getting the seller many more potential bidders, but when the international bidders actually win the auction the sellers try to hold up their US only description. It's rubbish, a waste of time for everyone, including Ebay, and should be banned. Sellers who do this deserve all the grief and aggravation it gives them, IMHO.

Jul 06, 2014 at 06:02 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

JohnJ wrote:
I've come across several US based sellers who list their auctions with International shipping, which is the ONLY reason I see them here in Australia (otherwise they would not come up in Ebay AU searches), but they also state in the description that they will only post to US addresses. To me this is just about fraud and should be banned by Ebay. By advertising an auction with International shipping the auction appears in search engines all over the world, getting the seller many more potential bidders, but when the international bidders actually win the auction the sellers try to
...Show more

I think it's simply because these sellers either don't understand the shipping options when they prepare the auction, or they just don't care.

If the description of an item that I'm interested in says "US only" (usually it's "lower 48 states"), then I pass. OTOH, if it's only the shipping summary statement that says "US only", then I'll ask the seller if they'll ship to me; 75% of the time, it's 'yes'; at least it is for me, in Canada.

Jul 06, 2014 at 06:36 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.