Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

I've got nothing against international buyers mind you, however, when a listing clearly states it only "ships to USA" and also mentions several times in the listing that I only ship domestically and USA buyers only please, why does someone from Hong Kong have to go and make a last second bid ? Then not even have the courtesy to respond to any of my messages ?

Totally screws me because then the 2nd chance buyer who I then offer it to declines the sale as they bought something else already and I'm stuck going down the list and selling the item for $55 less.

Had the international idiot (again no offense to the rest of the world as a whole, just one person) not outbid by $1 at the last second, the domestic high bidder (with over 900 positive feedback) would of certainly paid and we'd have a done deal.

But no...... someone had to just go and F it all....

Sorry for the rant but just frustrating to lose a willing buying to the tune of $55 because some idiot can't follow directions

Jun 28, 2014 at 01:59 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

Can you block bids from outside the U.S.? http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#block

Under 'Setting up buyer req's'?

Jun 28, 2014 at 02:06 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

I feel for your plight , but there is a flip side to that as well .
It really bites me that as Im sometimes the international buyer thats on the look out for something I get stopped from buying what I want .
Im willing to pay extra shipping (sometimes over priced) , will probably take a hit on import duties etc .

Is my 'foriegn' money not good enough ?

Jun 28, 2014 at 02:10 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

True. I don't understand a reluctance to sell internationally that I only see from U.S. sellers. Though that comes from a place of complete ignorance of U.S. laws - which I can only imagine are horrible in some instances.

Jun 28, 2014 at 02:14 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

I've made exceptions when a buyer will contact me and explain they are international and show that they have a good feedback record.

I've also had many issues with problems with international shipping such as lack of tracking or insurance to many countries.

You can call it laziness on my part, but when I sell something domestically, I just click "print label" and get a priority mail label, drop in in the post and it arrives in 2 to 3 days max, I have automatic insurance, the option to purchase more for higher dollar items and proof the buyer got the package. I'm totally covered for everything on my end.

I've opened auctions internationally before and had buyers claim they didn't get something and fill a claim against me even though I shipped next day. Why ? Because the item gets held up in customs, which isn't my fault, but the buyer tries to blame me.

I've done auctions opened international where the buyers flaked out on buying it because they didn't like the shipping cost. Again sorry, but when I clearly send you a link to the USPS website and show you what it cost to ship internationally and that is what I charge, how can you go and ding me on feedback saying my shipping cost was too high ?

Simply put, I don't want people blaming me for "slow shipping" or "inflated shipping cost" when neither of those things are my fault.

If your domestic I'll have the item to you in 2-3 days, you can see where it is every hour of the day, and shipping is a reason $5-10 typically.

Certainly are global shipping options such as DHL, FedEx etc but then your looking at even more cost, and Ebay's new global ship program takes forever and then some, which only creates more buyer complaints.

I'd love to have the whole world as buyers instead of domestic, really would, but there is just so much red tape.

I remember just a short time ago that I could ship to Canada in the same time and cost as anyone else in the US.

I also remember when I could easily walk across the border with the US and Canada.

Now days it cost 4x as much to ship something a few hours north of the border from me that it does to ship it clear across the country.

Also last time I came back from Toronto I had to wait in a 45 minute customs line, get out of my car and have it searched.

It is a strange world we live in

Jun 28, 2014 at 02:34 PM
gromitc

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

You can limit shipping locations on eBay. See "International shipping" and "Excluded shipping locations" when you list an item. By the way, international shipping is easier (?) than you think.

Jun 28, 2014 at 03:52 PM
Prapanpong
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

I feel you. It happened to me many times and what i did was cancle the transection and relisted, which is wasye a lot of my time now im tried with that.

Jul 04, 2014 at 06:58 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

I personally don't do international sales because there is far less possibilities for recourse if anything goes wrong with the sale and if you need to contact or coorespond with the party, it's more difficult/expensive. I understand international buyers' frustration, but too many risks outweigh the perceived benefits for me to change anyway.

Jul 04, 2014 at 07:19 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

Whether eBay or here, I limit shipments to domestic destinations expressly for the ease of doing so and for the reduced risk of something going awry.

Isn't this topic more suited for Forum & Miscellaneous?

Edited to add: Whether selling from eBay or here, from one camera buff to another, it is usually about selling a unique item. If a man or woman sells his or her camera body and it gets lost, the seller is out for both the product and the money.

Jul 04, 2014 at 11:47 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

If you sell internationally through the eBay system, there is no more risk than only selling CONUS.

Jul 04, 2014 at 07:10 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

danski0224 wrote:
If you sell internationally through the eBay system, there is no more risk than only selling CONUS.

Explain how that is so. While you're at it, explain how you recover a lost item that is one of a kind.

Jul 04, 2014 at 08:30 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

Savas K wrote:
Explain how that is so. While you're at it, explain how you recover a lost item that is one of a kind.

How do you recover a lost item when you ship domestically?

Jul 05, 2014 at 08:18 AM
ryankarr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

gromitc wrote:
You can limit shipping locations on eBay. See "International shipping" and "Excluded shipping locations" when you list an item. By the way, international shipping is easier (?) than you think.

Yup, you're setting up your listing wrong. You can say "no international shipping" as much as you want with text, but unless you disable it people are allowed to bid.

---------------------------------------------

Savas K wrote:

With the new ebay international system, you end up shipping it to an ebay affiliate and they take care of the international portion. Fees, duty and taxes are paid by the seller at the original time of payment.

Jul 05, 2014 at 09:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

ryankarr wrote:
...With the new ebay international system, you end up shipping it to an ebay affiliate and they take care of the international portion. Fees, duty and taxes are paid by the seller at the original time of payment.

For some sellers, yes. For other sellers, no.

Yesterday, I bought some spare batteries and a charger from a seller in the US, and import fees (mostly local sales tax at my end) were paid as part of the auction. In the past few weeks, I've bought used lenses from US, Germany, and Japan, and no import fees were charged through eBay - I paid them to Canada Post. Although, the 'Cron from GE hasn't yet arrived...

Jul 05, 2014 at 01:23 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

Paul Mo wrote:
True. I don't understand a reluctance to sell internationally that I only see from U.S. sellers. Though that comes from a place of complete ignorance of U.S. laws - which I can only imagine are horrible in some instances.

I will sell to foreign buyers based on their feedback. A lot of the exotic stuff I've purchased myself came from somewhere--at the moment I have a 4 in. Aristostigmat coming to me from some place in Poland. However, I do block bids from dodgy places like Nigeria etc. I would probably block from Russia too, unless the bidder had a long history. A blanket "no foreign bidders" is pretty extreme.

Kent in SD

Jul 05, 2014 at 04:04 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

chez wrote:

Why, you drive all the way to Valdosta, Georgia, knock on the door, and start yelling, "Give me my lens back!"

Hopefully the address isn't a vacant house.

Kent in SD

Jul 05, 2014 at 04:07 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

chez wrote:

That's what I call a gotcha wannabe. Think. I need not elaborate on elevated risk of loss of products going across borders.

Jul 05, 2014 at 05:13 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

millsart wrote:
I've got nothing against international buyers mind you, however, when a listing clearly states it only "ships to USA" and also mentions several times in the listing that I only ship domestically and USA buyers only please, why does someone from Hong Kong have to go and make a last second bid ? Then not even have the courtesy to respond to any of my messages ?

The main point of Millsart’s thread the way I see it is that when he states no international sales, then someone in another country recklessly does the purchase. I believe that the real issue is that Millsart doesn’t want to sell to a knucklehead that either 1.) can’t read, 2.) has problems with reading comprehension, or perhaps 3.) just doesn’t give a crap about Millsart’s preference. Then the knucklehead doesn't communicate afterward, to top it all off.

Is it that hard to extrapolate that the risk of something going bad is elevated when conducting business with a knucklehead that flouts your preferences and doesn't communicate?

Jul 05, 2014 at 05:29 PM
D_Sh
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

I think it is the right of the seller to decide to sell internationally or not. Also Ebay could come up with solution to prevent it, by simply disabling bids from the users with IP addresses outside of the US if the seller does not want to ship internationally.

Jul 05, 2014 at 05:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Don't you just hate when an international bidder screws your Ebay auction

D_Sh wrote:
I think it is the right of the seller to decide to sell internationally or not...

I agree, 100%.

D_Sh wrote:
...Also Ebay could come up with solution to prevent it, by simply disabling bids from the users with IP addresses outside of the US if the seller does not want to ship internationally.

That's more or less exactly what happens, if you can figure out how to use the incredibly straight-forward eBay selling options (as previously mentioned). Out-of-bounds bidders aren't disabled from bidding based on 'home' IP addresses (which don't necessarily relate to geographic location, anwyay), bidders are told that they can't bid because their shipping address isn't within the allowed destinations for the auction. It's easy, if you can read instructions.

Jul 05, 2014 at 07:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.