FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Tripod

roger lund
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod

Guy's,

I'm looking for a tripod I can use for landscape, and wildlife primarily, but also for portrait work and Macro when needed.

I shoot at 5dc with grip, and one the 17-40L for landscape, and 100-300L for wildlife. The primes for portrait, and 100mm Marco, for well, Macro.

I am not a pro, thus I will be likely only using this one or twice a week. I would love to get something functional, but cost effective. That being said, I would consider different tripods vs a higher cost unit that does everything if that is recommended.

Roger Lund
Canon 5D,EF 50mm f/1.8 lens, EF
85mm f/1.8 ,100mm f/2.8 Macro, EF
100-300f/5.6 L, EF 50mm f/1.4 lens,
EF 17- 40mm f/4 L

Jun 27, 2014 at 09:29 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod

Hi Roger,

Have a look at the Feisol CT-3441S. It'll handle all of your gear and considerably more, yet it folds up nice and small (17") and weighs only a touch over 2.5 lbs.

P.S. this thread will probably get moved to the General gear forum.

Jun 27, 2014 at 09:35 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod

Roger - take a look at Sirui tripods as well. I have the T-1005X, and I've been very happy with it thus far.

Jun 27, 2014 at 09:38 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod

I guess I should ask for recommended heads for the tripods as well

Jun 27, 2014 at 09:40 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod

This is a very big topic. I think you might find some accumulated wisdom on this forum: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/54

Good luck.

Jun 27, 2014 at 09:45 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod

gdanmitchell wrote:
This is a very big topic. I think you might find some accumulated wisdom on this forum: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/54

Good luck.

Well if I search tripod landscape there are only a couple matches. And none new. I was hopping for some conversation with live humans about current tripods....

Jun 27, 2014 at 09:53 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod

Manfrotto 055XPROB + appropriate head. Very nice tripod for the price that will last you a long time. It's quite heavy though, so be prepared for that.

Jun 27, 2014 at 09:55 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod

Landscape. Minnesota. Hope cost effective for you doesn't default to inexpensive, because if you are going to be shooting landscapes in cold weather, and sometimes windy conditions, the most cost effective tripods are going to be carbon fiber, heavy duty, and on the high end of the price scale. Think Gitzo and Really Right Stuff.

Speaking from experience, before I bought a carbon fiber Gitzo I missed great shots repeatedly because fatigue and cold had sapped the resolve I needed to struggle yet again the monster aluminum tripod I was using. There always came a point as a cold day wore on where I would pass up almost any shot to avoid more struggle with that beast.

A well-engineered carbon fiber tripod is a joy to use, doesn't get anywhere near so cold in your hands as a metal one, and makes the process of setting up a shot much quicker and more intuitive. Best spent photography money I ever parted with.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:06 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod

Roger - tripod head - Try the ArcaSwiss Monoball p0. I definitely like the size and the adjustment method, and it holds my 5D and 16-35/24-105/70-200 lenses with no problem. You'll also want to get a quick-release system. The Monoball p0 can come with the 'classic' or the 'slidefix' quick release options. I have the slidefix, and it works securely, but I have not been able to find good L brackets for it, so you probably want the 'classic' arca-swiss quick release to be compatible with L brackets and various things.

- John

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod

Jim -- How much does that beer cost that you often refer to? You classy guy!

I use cheaper tripods, generally speaking. I have a big Manfrotto 3051 and big 3047 3-way hex-plate QR head for when I want fairly solid support (both purchased from eBay some while back).

Otherwise, I find the Slik 700DX (bought at B&H) to be a real bargain -- added a large Manfrotto (QR hex) ball head (eBay) substituted as an upgrade. For a bit more money, the Manfrotto 055XPROB (bought used here on B&S) is another favorite for its versatility -- I added a 488 RC0 (QR hex) ball head (eBay) and it's a very compact set-up.

For casual hiking around and emergency support on car trips, I have a little Slik 300DX (bought used on eBay) with a small Manfrotto 484 (1/4 screw thread) ball head.

Not the newest, fanciest, or most expensive, but gets the job done reliably.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod

I agree with Jim - the Feisol is one of my two most commonly used tripods. It's my "hiking" tripod: I have a BH-30 on it, and while this setup isn't really meant for heavyweight stuff, while hiking it will happily carry a 1DX with some L-glass.

My 2nd go-to tripod is the RRS TVC-24, with a BH-40 ball head. That thing is absolutely amazing yet still small and relatively light. I have an even heavier tripod with the BH-55 but that's mainly for defensive purposes, or if I feel like I need to kill a cow

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod

Gunzorro wrote:
Jim -- How much does that beer cost that you often refer to? ...

OT - this one?

The Propeller Extra Special Bitter (ESB) costs considerably less than the lens hood that it's in.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tripod

Grabbed a Manfrotto with a Vanguard tbh-250 at the local camera shop .

Thanks all

Edited on Jun 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tripod

Man, you move fast!

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tripod

jcolwell wrote:
Man, you move fast!

I took the day off from my IT job. Figured I would run some errands.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tripod

jcolwell wrote:

OT - this one?

The Propeller Extra Special Bitter (ESB) costs considerably less than the lens hood that it's in.

Ha-ha! that's the stuff!

And the preferred Scotch?

(Scotch and ale/beer are never OT!)

Roger -- Sounds like a nice set-up. The 055 PRO?

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:50 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tripod

Gunzorro wrote:
Ha-ha! that's the stuff!

And the preferred Scotch?

(Scotch and ale/beer are never OT!)

Roger -- Sounds like a nice set-up. The 055 PRO?

055xprob

Vanguard tbh-250

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tripod

Lagavulin.

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tripod

Ah, peaty, camphor-y, and smoky!

Jun 27, 2014 at 01:35 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tripod

roger lund wrote:
Well if I search tripod landscape there are only a couple matches. And none new. I was hopping for some conversation with live humans about current tripods....

If this doesn't get moved to General you should start a thread there. More than just Canon shooters use tripods.

I second Sirui - I have Manfrotto/Bogen as well (good budget gear). Sirui is winning awards and while it's not budget gear - it's close - and I would compare to s
ome Gitzo. They're just a little simpler. And I give a hearty thumbs up to their ball heads - I have or have had Manfrotto, Markins and Sirui - the quality is amazing. The little K20-X is a great traveler unit and will hold anything - the K40-X is huge and honestly compares with some of the best ones made. It handles weight with aplomb - the 20 has to work a little harder. If you want one that will handle anything - the 30 is right in between these 2 and if I were starting over - and could only get one - this would be it.

http://www.icophos.com/junk/ball-heads_sm.jpg

20 and 40
http://www.icophos.com/junk/k40-x.jpg

The 40 next to 24-70/2.8 II so you can see how big it is.

A Sirui tripod ranges from about $300-400ish depending on size. I have the Manfrotto 190PROB which is a little bit smaller than Gunzorro's 055, and it's a nice little tripod. I got it for portability ages ago - and now my giant 3204X Sirui folds up much, much smaller (legs reverse). But for an aluminum pod - the Manfrotto has some neat features. The new ones are starting to get a little fiddly for my tastes, but they're still good and I'd recommend them over Vanguard. You could get a Manfrotto and head for well under $300. I'd recommend a ball head with the Arca Swiss plate system though - unless you find a screaming deal on a Manfrotto.

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.