FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Violet Darter

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Violet Darter

This is an old subject for me -I've been shooting them for several years and I know when a male is feeling territorial and will let me get close. I can even shade them with the diffuser. Speaking of diffusion: These two shots, and the Skipper I shot recently, were taken with a new diffuser. You can get them from eBay -I make no money off of that link. I am using some additional diffusion plastic to get the light quality that I want, so what you see here is not "out of the box". But that diffuser, as is, is the best commercial diffuser for the MT-24EX that I've ever used. As always these are hand held, single un-cropped frames.

Tech Specs: Canon 1D Mark III (F14, 1/250, ISO 800) + a Canon MPE-65mm macro lens (@ 1x) + a diffused MT-24EX. This is the lowest amount of diffusion since the working distance is 4 inches (at higher mag, as the working distance drops, the diffusion gets better).

This image is a "torture test: Shot at 3x, ISO 200 and F16. Tech Specs: Canon 1D Mark III (F16, 1/250, ISO 200) + a Canon MPE-65mm macro lens (@ 1x) + a diffused MT-24EX.

Edited on Jun 26, 2014 at 02:47 PM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2014 at 02:36 PM
coder
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Violet Darter

I'd be pretty happy with that light. That's one thing I keep telling myself I'm gonna improve on and just never seem to find the time.

One thing I sometimes hate about the MT-24 is the dual catch lights in the eyes of insects, and if its poorly diffused it really sticks out in some cases.

Thanks for the link, I might have to snag a set.

Jun 26, 2014 at 02:42 PM
aylakadam

[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Violet Darter

nice pictures!

Jun 26, 2014 at 04:21 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.