Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

Bohland

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

I take a picture and then when I go to print it, I have to crop it because print sizes don't correspond to camera aspect ratios. This is no good, because sometimes the picture is ruined when there isn't any room to crop it.

Oh yeah, no problem, just ruin your picture when you print it because we don't care about camera aspect ratios. What's wrong with these people? I would think someone in the printer business would have figured this out and offer aspect-ratio-compatible print sizes that don't require cropping.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

If your photo lab doesn't print the way you want maybe you should change the lab?

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

Another reason to print your own....

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Bohland

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

So if you go to the right lab or print your own, you don't have to crop? I thought cropping is inevitable. If you have a 3:4 or 3:2 aspect ratio, it's not going to fit an 8x10 or 11x14 without cropping. A 3:4 will fit a 4x6 and a 3:2 will fit a 20x30, but that's it. Anything else has to be cropped. No?

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

Not inevitable at all. Any of the online printers do full frame prints without cropping. Heck even Costco will print full frame on 8 x 12 or 12 x 18 paper. What is a little harder is coming up with mats and frames for those sizes at local shops. I usually have to order them from dickblick. Lots of frames and mats for 13 x 19 since that's sort of an Epson home brew standard. I'm lazy so I mostly print 12 x 18.

Jun 26, 2014 at 01:12 PM
bfs208

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

Frame Destination has a fairly large selection of 3:2 ratio mats plus custom options.

Jun 26, 2014 at 01:20 PM
Jeffrey Behr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

Bohland wrote:
So if you go to the right lab or print your own, you don't have to crop? I thought cropping is inevitable. If you have a 3:4 or 3:2 aspect ratio, it's not going to fit an 8x10 or 11x14 without cropping. A 3:4 will fit a 4x6 and a 3:2 will fit a 20x30, but that's it. Anything else has to be cropped. No?

Not quite--you forgot, besides a little white space around the image, 19X13" paper which is designed for images sized to 18X12". I've been printing them since (I think) 2000, starting with an Epson 1270(?). I'm now using an inexpensive Epson 1400 (19X13") with which I'm VERY happy.

My annoyance to the point than I'm simply not buying one is Epson's unwillingness to sell cut-sheet paper in 25X17" (instead of 22X17") on which we could print uncropped 24X16" images. AFAIK, one has to buy a roll-fed printer, which requires significantly more depth to house it, to be able to print on 25X17" paper. Does anyone know anything different on this issue?

Jun 26, 2014 at 01:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

you shoot to crop

Jun 26, 2014 at 01:50 PM
Kannalaphoto

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

You can't blame others for your own lack of information. Simply change labs, and communicate your wishes with whoever you decide to use. If you are using places like Cosco and Walmart then you get what you pay for. You can print at whatever ratio you wish, but it takes a bit more effort than simply uploading an image and not saying what you are after.

Jun 26, 2014 at 01:55 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

Well, one solution is to go into business for yourself and produce the sizes and ratios of printing paper, mats and photo frames you want and sell them. That's the American way. No, I'm not trying to be facetious or cute.

There is no 'one size fits all' ratio. Look for suppliers that have paper, mats and frames that have the ratios you want.

sjms has it right. Some pros have had their ground glass etched to show the 8 x 10 ratios when they know customers want 8 x 10 prints, for example.

I used an Epson for years until it died and now have a Canon. Both brands allow me to print any size or ratio I want, up to 13 x 19. The Epson would also accept roll paper that would provide a 44 x 13 image.

Jun 26, 2014 at 02:06 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

I use Millers and Aspen Creek, and they will print any size you want. Millers doesn't list all the sizes, but they will print them. On certain sizes, the paper will be bigger than the print, but they cut it down.

What I will do in certain cases is if I see a frame I like (Ikea for example), I will get the frame and then choose the print size based on that - unless you get custom frames made.

Jun 26, 2014 at 02:23 PM
Bohland

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

Thanks all. Very helpful.

Jun 26, 2014 at 03:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

Bohland wrote:
I take a picture and then when I go to print it, I have to crop it because print sizes don't correspond to camera aspect ratios. This is no good, because sometimes the picture is ruined when there isn't any room to crop it.

Oh yeah, no problem, just ruin your picture when you print it because we don't care about camera aspect ratios. What's wrong with these people? I would think someone in the printer business would have figured this out and offer aspect-ratio-compatible print sizes that don't require cropping.

In the film days prints of 2:3 proportions were available up to 11x16.5". That being said, I normally crop images as they look best, specific ratios be damned. One can print on larger paper and cut, matte or float on black to handle odd ratios. It's not really a problem. If for some reason you must print to a certain proportion, then use a crop grid focusing screen or eyeball it based on the paper.

EBH

Jun 26, 2014 at 05:45 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

Gochugogi wrote:
What is a little harder is coming up with mats and frames for those sizes at local shops.

Which is why I make digital mats & frames. ):

Go to: www.shutterfreaks.com

And click on Photoshop Actions for examples.

Jun 27, 2014 at 05:27 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

As suggested, if you're making photographs for printing, you should keep aspect ratios and cropping into account and in the back of your mind when you take the shot.

If the shot you've made is the print you want, then just shop around for a person or company who will print it to your specifications.

Or as has been suggested, buy yourself a nice printer.

The best and most exciting investment I ever made after buying all my Canon camera equipment, was a 44" HP Z3100 photo printer with the advanced profiling solution that included a built-in spectrometer, and an i1 puck for the monitor.

To make it easy to print the sizes you want with the printer you buy, try a 14-day free trial of QImage Ultimate from http://bit.ly/1lmepO8

The newest version can unclog inkjet heads without requiring performing a full cleaning cycle http://bit.ly/Vv9qWK

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

Just print on larger paper sizes to allow for matting and framing. And specify it.

I lay up my images on larger paper sizes in Photoshop and they go out ready - no cropping, no fiddling. I WANT borders around my images as it gives me options.

Jun 28, 2014 at 05:34 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How come print sizes don't correspond to aspect ratios?

Print any size (and/or aspect ratio) you want and then have custom matt & frame:

americanframe.com

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:58 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.