New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

playerofwar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

Does anyone have experience with the MePhoto Globetrotter?
I have only used it for 30 min and from that I derived that it was a very good price/performance, but I would like to get some more "real owners" opinions.
I want a tripod that is both light and stable for under 400$/€ as I will only use it for hiking in my free time. The big and heavy stuff is glued to my studio... (as in I will never take any of them to a location)

Any other light carbon's under 400$ (including head with arca swiss) that are really good?

Jun 26, 2014 at 04:18 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

Nobody? I ordered it, I can always sell it if I don't end up liking it.

Jun 27, 2014 at 03:07 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

I've shot alongside people using them and am not a fan of all those sections. I set up a lightweight 2 series with Markins head and was shooting away while they were still messing around with the MeFoto. It's really a tripod to choose for folding up very short as there are other similarly lightweight tripods with less sections.

EBH

Jun 27, 2014 at 09:07 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

What kind of tripod would you recommend instead?
Main priorities are: Lightweight, small, can go almost flat on the ground, 1.80 max high is enough and has to be able to support a 200mm F/2.0 with semi-pro body. Budget is max 400$.
Btw, need to be able to pack in a Pelican 1620. (max 54cm or 21")

I don't want to overspend on a tripod that only gets occasional use (even though I know these things last a lifetime).

Jun 28, 2014 at 08:18 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

Check out the Sirui 1204X: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013781-REG/sirui_bsrn1204x_n_1204x_4_section_carbon_fiber.html

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

Mr Joe wrote:
Check out the Sirui 1204X: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013781-REG/sirui_bsrn1204x_n_1204x_4_section_carbon_fiber.html

Seems very similar to the MePhoto or am I wrong?
Not available here btw. And I don't want to buy gear like this on ebay or amazon.

I indeed heard a lot of good stuff about Sirui, too bad that I cannot get them here.

Jun 28, 2014 at 01:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

more so then you think on the similar design idea. minor differences in the same family. mass marketing.

Jun 28, 2014 at 01:12 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

Are there three factories churning out 20 brands or does each one copy the next?

EBH

Jun 28, 2014 at 06:37 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

if its like packs. its lines in factories producing "branded" runs.

Jul 01, 2014 at 10:38 AM
mine1

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

this fits all of your requirements (other than I don't' know if they ship to belgium) and is the same company that makes mefoto but the benro's seem to be slightly better put together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BENRO-C2682TB1-Tripod-Monopod-Trekking-Pole-3in1-Kit-FAST-SHIPMENT-/140905002711?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item20ce97b6d7

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:16 AM
mine1

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

ohh and the one I linked is a 4 section (but still well under your folded length requirement, and it has a much larger last leg section than the 5 section globetrotter.

Jul 02, 2014 at 12:17 AM
keithchan
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

I have the carbon Roadtrip, which is their "medium size" version and one section smaller than the Globetrotter. I really like it, and it replaced my older aluminum Bogen and has been more than adequate for travels. No complaints, works just as expected.

Jul 02, 2014 at 06:04 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · MePhoto Globetrotter Carbon Tripod

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I just got my Globetrotter and will report back in a few weeks/months with my findings. I considered a lot of your suggestions, but I got to test this one with a heavy setup (200mm f/2.0 VR and semi-pro body) and it felt secure even when at maximum (although not comparable with a 1000$ Gitzo with a big Markins head, but that was not the goal). It's light, small and pretty sturdy, will see in the next few months if it's good at absorbing shock and wind.

Jul 03, 2014 at 12:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.