New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · First try: Low Key Fitness Photo

NCam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First try: Low Key Fitness Photo

As the title says, this is my first attempt at a low-key fitness portrait. I was going for a very basic low key look with a hard, defined edge and a mostly obscured subject. Out of about 30 pictures, this is the only one I liked a lot. I am very new to using off camera flash as well, so this is one of my first attempts with a two-light setup. I used a flash on camera to trigger a slave next to the subject, perpendicular to my camera. After loading the pics into my computer, I realized that by moving the flash just a little more towards my camera and facing more directly toward my model's face, I would have achieved much better results.

With that said, let me know what you think!! I know I have a lot to learn, so I'd love some advice.

Shot at ƒ11 with my MF Rokinon 85mm and Nikon D7000. Manual vivitar on-camera flash and a cheap, low power slave unit off camera.

_NAC7763.jpg by NCamardo, on Flickr

ƒ/11.0 85.0 mm 1/320 100ISO

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:13 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First try: Low Key Fitness Photo

Just a suggestion, but next time you do a low-key fitness shot, have what light you use go across the muscles (abs, biceps, legs, whatever) to highlight the definition in those muscles. I think it would take this concept a long way. Right now, there's not much to go on to show that it's a fitness shot. I do like what you're doing.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Paul Chappell

[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First try: Low Key Fitness Photo

It is funny, I do not mind if the light is even further behind, it adds tension.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:31 AM
NCam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First try: Low Key Fitness Photo

Thanks for looking guys. Definitely not done experimenting with these shots

Jun 26, 2014 at 09:59 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First try: Low Key Fitness Photo

Nice idea but it's too dark

Jun 28, 2014 at 07:48 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First try: Low Key Fitness Photo

Keep working it!

Jun 29, 2014 at 05:34 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.