New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon D600 and Nikon AF 180mm f/2.8D Focusing Tips

scottmti
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D600 and Nikon AF 180mm f/2.8D Focusing Tips

I was looking for a moderate weight zoom lens. My wish was get a new 70-200mm F/4 but I bought a AF 180mm 2.8D used but in fair condition. Works great and focusing was on the money if I took time to focus and shoot.

It's one a those times when I am either in hurry to focus and shoot or slight moving subject when this lens does not lock on focus. Time like those it's a 40% in focus and other it's out of focus.

It's been long time I had any lens longer than 120mm (24-120mm F/4) I think AF-S just focus quicker, not sure but I get much better hit rate with them.

Maybe I am doing something wrong cause I use AF S mode and as far as I know it should not shoot until it locks into subject.
I tried AF-C, AF-A but results are pretty similar. Take some photo in 5 series and 2 in focus and other not.
I do feel 180mm is much slow to lock on to subject but still it's hit or miss.
AF fine tuning does not help either.
Is this lens just old and slow to work with D600 or maybe D600 motor is not fast or powerful enough to drive the lens quickly enough? My other lens such as 17-35mm and 24-120mm even AF105mm 2.8D micro locks focus most of the time but 180mm making me nervous. My kids have performance this weekend and I really need this lens and I need to depend on this so any idea or tip on using this lens?

This lens, once it's focus it's very very good, even at 2.8. But 40% is something not correct.

Thanks
Scott

Jun 25, 2014 at 08:48 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D600 and Nikon AF 180mm f/2.8D Focusing Tips

If you're shooting moving subjects then it should always be AF-C. Try AF-C with 21d option. Manual mode, Auto ISO and have your shutter speed no less than 1/500 (or faster). What shutter speeds were you using?

Of course AF-S is faster, however, the 180 AF-D 2.8 should be quite adequate for most moving subjects.

Jun 25, 2014 at 08:58 PM
scottmti
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D600 and Nikon AF 180mm f/2.8D Focusing Tips

I've been shooting it above 800 shutter speed cause I've been experimenting it out side at park or street on day light. Seriously I've tried all shooting mode c s a. Shooting a basketball games joggers and just plain nany baby walkers. All similar results. It just driving me crazy. I had this lens when I had f4 and n90s and never had this type of issues. Like I said it's new for me on digital age with long focal length. I've must be doing something wrong. Lol.

Jun 25, 2014 at 09:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.