New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Pensive

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pensive

MMG, 11 months.
Not thrilled about the background, from our stockade fence.
Other than that, what tweaks might you apply?
Thanks
Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2014

Edited on Jun 26, 2014 at 08:52 AM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2014 at 06:55 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pensive

I don't mind the fence, it actually looks kind of cool. The one thing I really notice is that the face is in shadow, it looks like you had to push the shadows in post or maybe just ISO so it's a bit muddy. While you did avoid the harsh contrast of direct sunlight well, I think that placing a reflector like a piece of white foamboard right in front of your child would really help to light the face and get a crisper image with less grain. Otherwise, I like it, nice shot!

Jun 25, 2014 at 07:14 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pensive

Scott,

My he is growing. Lovely image. Lauchlan hit the fill light well. Something else I see is, and my experience all the time, it is difficult to capture a toddler who has a clean area around the mouth and nose. Always something there - food, drool, etc.

Also, his right eyebrow - cannot tell it that is a natural blemish, food, or perhaps water?

Know you are enjoying him - haven't tried to spin this into another DSLR or lens have you?

Best,

Bob

Jun 25, 2014 at 07:56 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pensive

Nice image Scott. I hope it's Ok that I took a stab at this. I cleaned up a few of the food spots, used levels to bring a little more light into his face and sharpened his eyelashes and lips. I may have softened it just a bit in ACR. (Maybe straightened it a little and took the red dot out of his left pupil.)

Good title and cute shot.

Greg

Jun 25, 2014 at 08:07 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pensive

Nice work Greg

Bob

Jun 25, 2014 at 08:38 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pensive

I agree, I really like Greg's rework to a very neat image.

Jun 25, 2014 at 09:02 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pensive

I quite like the original because the shade adds to the pensive mood. Probably like it even more if there was more chest serving as negative space.

Jun 26, 2014 at 01:10 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pensive

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
I don't mind the fence, it actually looks kind of cool. The one thing I really notice is that the face is in shadow, it looks like you had to push the shadows in post or maybe just ISO so it's a bit muddy. While you did avoid the harsh contrast of direct sunlight well, I think that placing a reflector like a piece of white foamboard right in front of your child would really help to light the face and get a crisper image with less grain. Otherwise, I like it, nice shot!

Thanks for the detailed analysis and suggestions.
One in a series of quick candids while my grandson played in his blow up pool, for the first time. So the only reflector was the water.
I did push the shadows and selectively dodge the face although sometimes with too gentle a touch.
I desaturated the background a bit, trying to reduce the level of distraction.
Scott

Jun 26, 2014 at 06:56 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pensive

Bob Jarman wrote:
Scott,

My he is growing. Lovely image. Lauchlan hit the fill light well. Something else I see is, and my experience all the time, it is difficult to capture a toddler who has a clean area around the mouth and nose. Always something there - food, drool, etc.

Also, his right eyebrow - cannot tell it that is a natural blemish, food, or perhaps water?

Know you are enjoying him - haven't tried to spin this into another DSLR or lens have you?

Best,

Bob

Yes, I did not take the time to clean him up! I think you are seeing excess suntan lotion.
Scott

Jun 26, 2014 at 06:57 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pensive

gregfixit wrote:
Nice image Scott. I hope it's Ok that I took a stab at this. I cleaned up a few of the food spots, used levels to bring a little more light into his face and sharpened his eyelashes and lips. I may have softened it just a bit in ACR. (Maybe straightened it a little and took the red dot out of his left pupil.)

Good title and cute shot.

Greg

Greg,
Its always OK to re-edit my images on Critique and demonstrate another vision, improvements, etc.
Looks good, with, as Karen says below, a somewhat changed mood.
Scott

Jun 26, 2014 at 06:58 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pensive

AuntiPode wrote:
I quite like the original because the shade adds to the pensive mood. Probably like it even more if there was more chest serving as negative space.

Interesting about the shade. It is part of why I liked the image. Although I think Greg's rework more than stands for itself.
The negative space comment is helpful.
Thanks
Scott

Jun 26, 2014 at 06:59 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pensive

sbeme wrote:
Yes, I did not take the time to clean him up! I think you are seeing excess suntan lotion.
Scott

If they're clean it is not natural

Bob

Jun 26, 2014 at 07:49 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.