Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

Andestich

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

Nice photo. Fantastic!!!

Jun 26, 2014 at 02:18 PM
Movicfilms00

[X]
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

very pretty!

Jun 26, 2014 at 04:41 PM
Raven Falls
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

Camperjim wrote:
That is a "rule" which can always be reconsidered. Especially for reflections, a 50/50 composition is often very strong.

For this image, I can see favoring the sky, but for me it would still work better with a crop.

Agreed. Virtually every article on composition I've every run across warns against 50/50 horizons,
except in reflection shots, where they're even encouraged.

I would add that the biggest problem with the unbalanced composition, for me, was that my first reaction on looking at the sky was "oh, the photographer used an orange grad to make the clouds more dramatic." On studying the image, it became clear that the orange light here was actually natural; however, I've seen so many "storm" shots where the photographer artificially spiced things up with some sort of colored grad that I've become conditioned to assume trickery when I see a storm scene where the top part of the image looks distinctly different from the clouds further down. (I know it's my own preconception that causes this reaction, but I'll bet lots of people react the same way.) Perhaps I wouldn't have assumed it if the composition had been more 50/50, so I would have seen more of the orange tones in the reflection as well.

Jun 27, 2014 at 01:49 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

Nigel,

Beautiful shot man. I like this composition and I know some folks don't or want a 50/50. To me though, I've seen so many oxbow shots where people play off the reflection to get the 50/50 that is just almost like "that's what we do here". Nothing wrong with that and most photos turn out really beautiful. To me, I like that light and it brings a different emphasis on the area that is normally about the trees and the reflection. Refreshing shot.

Jason

Jun 27, 2014 at 07:53 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

nice

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Huibo Hou

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

I like it a lot! Been to this spot just last month I can appreciate the effort and good lighting involved in this image. I do see a point for cropping too, since even partial of this image with 50/50 composition is shown quite strong on my screen, so I'm torn between going to that direction or stick to the original composition. Nonetheless it is an excellent image.

Jul 02, 2014 at 05:01 PM
ganxiaoge281

[X]
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

Like the reflection and symmetric color distribution.

Jul 02, 2014 at 11:30 PM
phuoctue
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

The orange cast on the sky is balanced with the autumn trees. SO I would crop the orange reflection on the water to keep this picture cleaner and more balance.

Jul 03, 2014 at 02:21 AM
berenosphoto
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

This has it all: a reflection, snow-capped mountains, stormy skies and autumn colours. Excellent shot!

Jul 03, 2014 at 09:13 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

To me it has to many clouds, I would crop it down a bit.

Jul 03, 2014 at 09:27 AM
onetimeoneplac

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

IMHO, don't crop it, because you lose the nice orange which matches the trees

Jul 03, 2014 at 10:47 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

I still think it would be a stronger image with the sky cropped down. the little color in the sky in nice, but it's not like it's a killer sky that would be terrible to lose.

In the end I think I like a crop better because for me the mountains are what make this place special, and right now I look at the image and all I can see is the sky. Personal preference I guess.

Jul 03, 2014 at 11:04 AM
pbraymond
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

First off, congratulations on being able to witness that scene in person. I'm jealous.

Comment wise, I've wavered at times between presenting the scene as close to what I saw as possible, vs interpreting the scene to make a bigger visual impact. I'd have to agree that something just does not work to make it a 10 out of 10 image, though I would still be proud to show off the capture as you have done here. I wonder what would happen if you just dropped out the bottom part of the reflection to have a more horizontal format, say just past the tips of the mountain reflections?

Jul 03, 2014 at 11:13 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

Great colors. Like it very much!

Jul 03, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

Very nice photo Nigel. Here are my thoughts. I like it but do feel the the top yellow layer sucks my attention away from the gorgeous light on the distant trees. As magical as the light is I feel cropping out the yellow (about 15% of the image) helps me eyes enter the scene and stay there instead of getting sucked up and stuck on the yellow clouds.

Jul 03, 2014 at 02:54 PM
ray0123
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

Great shot, but I think that cropping it to just above the dark cloud on the left will still provide you with a better panoramic shot and you still have the reflection from the water to give that magical effect.

Jul 04, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Nigel Turner
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

Thanks for all the input that this image has generated. Its fantastic to see how different folk interpret this image as presented.

It seems to me to be a 50 -50 split on whether this should be cropped or not.

My intention was to show this particular image in full frame to make the most of the dramatic sky. By cropping the image to suggestions I feel would do away with that and the image would become more run of the mill.

As we all know here there is no right or wrong way but only personal preference to the final image.

Thank you all very much for you input and feedback.
Nigel.

Jul 04, 2014 at 07:36 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

Great shot, gives the natural perspective of standing in the scene.

A champ!

Jul 05, 2014 at 10:28 AM
beddins

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

Wonderful color with lots of options for composition.
I'd try actually cropping the bottom, taking the reflection of the amber sky and even including more of the actual amber sky. Just a thought.

Jul 06, 2014 at 04:26 PM
Nigel Turner
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sunrise Storm ~ Oxbow Bend.

unclechuck wrote:
Great shot, gives the natural perspective of standing in the scene.

A champ!

Sometimes just being there is all that is needed as our minds record so much more than photographs have ever done.

Jul 09, 2014 at 02:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.