Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

gordorad wrote:
Just got off the phone with CPS. Canon does not even offer a profile correction yet.....Typical...Sell the equipment, then get around to the software!!

Anyone who actually needs to correct it, probably knows how to do it in Photoshop anyway...

Jul 24, 2014 at 08:31 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

This might be of interest to some. Not had much of a chance to play, but heres a comparison between the 17-40 at 17, and the new 16-35 at 16, both f11. No processing other than ACR defaults.

and left lower corner:

right lower :

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:04 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

RobDickinson wrote:
This might be of interest to some. Not had much of a chance to play, but heres a comparison between the 17-40 at 17, and the new 16-35 at 16, both f11. No processing other than ACR defaults.

nice

what do the distant upper edges and corners look like? those near corners are super sharp for the 16-35 f/4 IS but I was wondering that meant a bit of a trade off for the far corners/edges

Jul 27, 2014 at 06:28 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

I've not had chance to shoot anything where that mattered yet.

Roger seems to suggest one corner is usually worse than the others

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:38 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

RobDickinson wrote:

I have had a chance to do a bit of shooting with my copy. It is certainly a lot better in corners than the older lenses, and it performs well even at f/4 — one way in which it is quite different from the 17-40.

Roger's point is in line with what I've seen from a couple copies, where when you look very closely at corners you can see that they do not all necessarily perform exactly the same. On mine, the four corners are all very good — but they are not identical. A friend got a copy that had one very poor corner and had to return it. (He just got his replacement, and I'm waiting to hear how it is.)

I also have it on pretty good authority (and from more than one source) that perfect adjustment of soft corners on ultra wide lenses is a very difficult task for Canon's repair facilities...

But, bottom line, very happy with my new 16-35 f/4 L IS.

Dan

Post on my experience with the lens: http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2014/07/14/canon-ef-16-35mm-f4-l-is-first-thoughts

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

gdanmitchell wrote:
I also have it on pretty good authority (and from more than one source) that perfect adjustment of soft corners on ultra wide lenses is a very difficult task for Canon's repair facilities...

It's no different for other companies... I went through about 10 copies of the revered Nikon 14-24mm f2.8G before I found a good one when this lens first came out, and the Nikon 16-35mm f4G VR seems even worse from the one's I've tried.

Jul 28, 2014 at 02:43 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

RobDickinson wrote:

I wasn't thinking so much of one bad corner, just that it can be easy to make two corners at the same distance look crisp if you sacrifice the ones that are either closer or farther and wondering how your copy did on that particular scene.

Jul 28, 2014 at 08:00 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

I still am working on the post on this (it's become way more work than I imagined), but when all the statistics came in it seems that the new 16-35 f/4 IS corner variation is actually a bit better than the 16-35 f/2.8 or the 17-40. They all have a corner or side slightly softer. The difference is the resolution in the edges is so much better with the f/4 IS that you can actually see the slightly softer corner. With the other two we can see it with the optical bench numbers, but in an image (even a test chart) you don't notice.

It's the old rule about 'it's easy to tell the difference between sharp and soft, but really hard to tell the difference between soft and softer'. I hope to have the post up tomorrow, but the bottom line is it's the best wide zoom Canon makes. The 16-35 f/2.8 shot at f/4 hangs in the center but can't keep up in the outer 1/3.

Roger

Jul 28, 2014 at 09:57 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

molson wrote:
Anyone who actually needs to correct it, probably knows how to do it in Photoshop anyway...

The few times I've downloaded Adobe's lens profiler utility, I can't really run it. There are some screwy permissions on the file that Windows won't play nice with. I forgot the precise messages, but I do recall the color of the files within the download were green, indicating something "special" about them.

What else can be done, other than trial and error within ACR or Lightroom itself?

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM
michael wolf

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

With this news lens what is the benefit of the 16-35 2.8 IS II now?

The 16-35 will be my next lens for landscapes & local club concert photography.
Will the 4/ IS cover that?

Thanks,
Michael

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

michael wolf wrote:
With this news lens what is the benefit of the 16-35 2.8 IS II now?

The 16-35 will be my next lens for landscapes & local club concert photography.
Will the 4/ IS cover that?

Thanks,
Michael

Don't know but I'd guess it would be somewhat worse for club photography, a bit better for classical concert photography, some degree better for landscapes.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:59 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

sirimiri wrote:
The few times I've downloaded Adobe's lens profiler utility, I can't really run it. There are some screwy permissions on the file that Windows won't play nice with. I forgot the precise messages, but I do recall the color of the files within the download were green, indicating something "special" about them.

What else can be done, other than trial and error within ACR or Lightroom itself?

How about simply downloading ACR 8.6 Beta that has full distortion correction?

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:59 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

decided to pull the trigger and trade up from my 16-35L V1. See how it fairs on vacation and if I need the 2.8 or if F4 with suffice. Only thing I can see being an issue is the 17F4 TSE is pretty dark in the view finder if not in bright light, so that may be a problem for wedding receptions.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM
bobbyboy uk

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

Lightroom 5.6 is out now, but they messed up the 16-35 profile correction.

Please note – the profile for the newly added Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens is not automatically located when applying lens profile corrections. This is a bug and we will fix it in a future release. The workaround is to:
- Manually select the profile and choose “Save New Lens Profile Defaults” in the Setup menu on the Profile tab. From then on, the lens should automatically select when the profile is enabled.

Jul 31, 2014 at 09:31 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

Roger,

Have you guys dug into the build/adjustment of the 16-35 f/4 IS? Is it still a pain for lab techs to adjust for centering/tilt and everything, or has it been improved? I know the 17-40 and 16-35 were difficult, no? The Canon CPS guy explained that it was very difficult for them to correct for decentering and stuff with the 17-40/16-35.

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:01 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

Invertalon wrote:
Roger,

Have you guys dug into the build/adjustment of the 16-35 f/4 IS? Is it still a pain for lab techs to adjust for centering/tilt and everything, or has it been improved? I know the 17-40 and 16-35 were difficult, no? The Canon CPS guy explained that it was very difficult for them to correct for decentering and stuff with the 17-40/16-35.

What a great question!!!

We finally got the post up for MTF testing, so we spent yesterday taking one apart and I'm doing the write up right now. Should be done this afternoon.

I can't say for certain that it will be better, but it looks like it should be. The 16-35 had 6 different adjustment locations with 3 adjustments (of infinite degree) at each location, plus certain ones affected others. So you'd get it almost right, find you had to just tweak this corner at 16mm, make that adjustment and find all the others were now off, so you started over.

The adjustment layout in this looks much more straightforward and logical. Three (instead of 6) tilting collars at the rear element. Three each in the first and second groups. The f/2.8 has 6 in the rear, 3 tilts and a rotation in the front, another set of 3 that tilted the extending barrel, and a final set that affected the zoom element.

I almost hate to mention it, because I so believe that 'weather sealing' is generally marketing BS, but there is very robust sealing in the f/4 IS, too.

Roger

Jul 31, 2014 at 04:06 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

Amazing article Roger! Enjoyed reading through it... Canon really has delivered one of the best UWA zooms ever made, and for a great price to boot!

Jul 31, 2014 at 04:39 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

The teardown is posted now too.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/07/of-course-we-took-one-apart

Jul 31, 2014 at 08:34 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

RCicala wrote:
The teardown is posted now too.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/07/of-course-we-took-one-apart

When I grow up, I want to be just like Roger .

Awesome write up and companion photos- thanks!

Jul 31, 2014 at 09:13 PM
fish_shooter
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS now In Stock!

I really like you pointing out the weather sealing as I have used the new lens primarily for underwater photography (in a housing of course). The weather sealing is to prevent those inevitable water drops from entering the equipment (water drops get sucked into the housing from the o-ring grooves on opening it). I have added the filter per Canon.
Tom

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:02 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password