New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Glacier NP Trip in July

FarmerJohn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Glacier NP Trip in July

I'm going with a friend to Glacier NP during the last week of July. 4 nights backpacking from St Mary to Two Medicine, with 2 or 3 days on either side of the backpacking trip for day hikes and photography and fun.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to go to see or photograph?
I hope to get some usual sunrise/sunset landscape shots, and also some night astrophotography images.
Hiking to cool views is definitely acceptable, as we are both young and foolish.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:55 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Glacier NP Trip in July

Iceberg Lake is one of my favorite places to go there. A cool hike... I think about 4 miles each way. I am not sure, but I would guess you could camp out there. Lot's of Grizzlies though, so be prepared.

Jim

Jun 25, 2014 at 04:30 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Glacier NP Trip in July

Thanks for the suggestion Jim - Iceberg Lake does look pretty awesome.

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM
therefanguy

[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Glacier NP Trip in July

I also second Iceberg Lake. Went there two years ago. Love it there. Other than that, you will find lots of nice places for pics along your hike. But definitely hit up the lake!

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Glacier NP Trip in July

You have to drive Going To The Sun Road and spend time at Logan Pass, especially hiking to Hidden Lake or even the Highline Trail. Beyond that are, Many Glacier is my favorite area in the park. Hikes to Iceberg Lake, Red Rocks Falls, combo boat ride/hike to Grinnell Lake and/or Grinnell Glacier are special. Don't miss Fishercap Lake where moose are common, also bears. One day in that area we saw 10 bears and several moose.

Jul 02, 2014 at 07:12 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Glacier NP Trip in July

Stan, thanks for the suggestions!

Last minute question - anybody have ideas what the chances are for northern lights? Obviously it is hard to predict, and depends on being lucky, clouds etc... but are the overall atmospheric conditions good for this time of year?

Jul 18, 2014 at 08:57 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.