Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Advice on how to handle unhappy bride-to-be

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Advice on how to handle unhappy bride-to-be

Oh, good lord. I just looked at the images. They're fine. The problem is, that IS her, and she doesn't like it. She looks just fine. Honestly? I get the feeling she's driving the road to cancellation. I'd give her the option. It sounds like she's considering someone else. Why gamble on the inevitable?

Jun 25, 2014 at 05:52 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Advice on how to handle unhappy bride-to-be

I looked at your blog after Maxwell posted. He gave you some good advice. She is cute, but she is heavy.

I noticed on your blog that most of the photos had a lot of room above their heads. This is typical of photos were you have a center focus point and don't recompose after focusing. A center focus point is convenient when you mix verticals and horizontals, but requires more diligence to make sure you recompose. You'll get better with more experience. I also think you need to pay more attention to backgrounds. There's some wires in some. You either need to shoot around them or remove them in post.

Jun 25, 2014 at 05:53 PM
othfilm
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Advice on how to handle unhappy bride-to-be

SAM_Josh wrote:
So, she got back to me on my offer of relieving them of their contract, and actually declined.

She stated that the blazer jacket she wore is what made her uncomfortable & stiff. Its not something she normally wears, but once she changed into her collegiate outfit she felt much better. I made the point to ask her that, if her jacket made her feel uncomfortable, is your wedding dress comfortable? Apparently the dress does have tulle sleeves and she feels very comfortable in it.....

Good, at least that is behind you and you can focus on making her day the best it can be. I can see how the blazer jacket threw her off; and those are all the images with her parents, so there is probably an element of worrying those will be her last memories and not looking her best.

I definitely agree with the others who said to avoid straight on poses. Even the one where she is looking at the camera but leaning her head on his shoulders is a big improvement over her staring straight at the camera. Means you have an opportunity to find a lot of creative poses for them on the wedding day

Jun 25, 2014 at 07:05 PM
12monkeys
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Advice on how to handle unhappy bride-to-be

Sorry, no work, wandered on here again.

The problem isn't your shooting, although the images on that blog post look a bit raw. The most unflattering thing for me, apart from the choice of clothes, is the way she has her hair. If a big girl ties her hair back tight then it's always going to accentuate the chin.

You know the way how the stereotypical gay fashion designer has a really good way with women, being blunt and honest in a relaxed, friendly way and explaining how to make the most of one's assets... that's what you need to learn.

Jun 26, 2014 at 04:19 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Advice on how to handle unhappy bride-to-be

dmacmillan wrote:
Cut your losses and do everything to get out of this situation. This is the tip of the iceberg. Things will only get worse.

I believe in Red Flags. In my experience, how they are at the beginning is how they'll be in the middle and how they'll be at the end. If there's trouble right from the get-go ...

Jun 26, 2014 at 04:32 AM
SAM_Josh

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Advice on how to handle unhappy bride-to-be

12monkeys wrote:
Sorry, no work, wandered on here again.

The problem isn't your shooting, although the images on that blog post look a bit raw. The most unflattering thing for me, apart from the choice of clothes, is the way she has her hair. If a big girl ties her hair back tight then it's always going to accentuate the chin.

You know the way how the stereotypical gay fashion designer has a really good way with women, being blunt and honest in a relaxed, friendly way and explaining how to make the most of one's assets... that's what you need to learn.

Yeah see the thing about her hair is that she arrived to the session with her hair up. (I educate my clients before hand about what to do and what not to do before & during their session...no logos on shirts, have your hair styled, etc. So when she arrived with her hair up, I thought ok thats how she normally wears her hair)
Well part way through the session she said she wanted her hair down for some images. She took her hair out of the bun and asked me how it looked. I asked her, do you normally wear your hair up or down? She said both...and I said well I would put your hair back up. Reason being is...1) it was kinda warm out and she was "glistening" so when she put her hair down, from her hairline to about 2 inches back, her hair was stuck to her head from sweat. 2) Sometimes when girls have their hair up for a while & take it out of the hair tie, the hair will have a crease in it from the hair tie. Her hair looked messy when it was down and being in the middle of the park, we didn't have a chance to re-style it.

Had she arrived with her hair down, I feel like it could have framed her face better.

Jun 26, 2014 at 07:40 AM
12monkeys
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Advice on how to handle unhappy bride-to-be

SAM_Josh wrote:
Yeah see the thing about her hair is that she arrived to the session with her hair up. (I educate my clients before hand about what to do and what not to do before & during their session...no logos on shirts, have your hair styled, etc. So when she arrived with her hair up, I thought ok thats how she normally wears her hair)
Well part way through the session she said she wanted her hair down for some images. She took her hair out of the bun and asked me how it looked. I asked her, do you normally wear
...Show more

Big girls and hot weather don't mix so well. Maybe an evening session would have been better. 'Course, this isn't going to help with your wedding preparations but it might have reduced the pre-nuptial stress a bit.

Jun 26, 2014 at 07:48 AM
Heize

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Advice on how to handle unhappy bride-to-be

Long time lurker here too.

I actually shot an e-session like that last year. The bride was on her 40's or something, and, well, she was very heavy. No short lighting or photoshop could change that, and I did everything. Absolutely everthing in my power to slim her down. But. Well. What are you going to do.

And she was pretty cheap too. I offered to do some extensive editing for an extra price (we talked about this, she was aware of her body, and really wanted me to do something about it) but she refused to pay anything extra, actually she tried to skimp on the normal bill too.

So I did the basic edit, and I did a few bigger ones cause I'm a nice guy. And the only response was that she looked fat, and these images could never be even printed on her night stand. They were nice images too.

Sometimes you just can't win. Never heard from her since. Somehow, I'm relieved.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:35 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Advice on how to handle unhappy bride-to-be

Ive had a client with weight and esteem issues, nothing I did could fix it. I gave her money back and said good luck.

I actually made her look great, (I did her makeup and hair too)her friends were wowed at how good she looked!! Her friends over the moon raved not even knowing she had issue with them... I made her 20ls lighter with posing, wardrobe, and the lighting. She still thought she looked awful... Nothing I could do for her...

Jun 30, 2014 at 07:10 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.