Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

BryanDP

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

Hello everyone, I just picked up a (what looks like a beautifully Mint Conditioned) 1Ds Mark III. It's looks as if it's brand new. However, upon going through the usual battery of tests, I've found that the vertical shutter button does not function at all. I have, counting this one, or have owned all the 1D bodies ( except for the X) and I've never had this problem. Are any of you familiar with this?! Is it maybe a custom function that I'm missing?! If it's a mechanical problem, does anyone know if it's a costly one?! From everything I see so far, it's a really nice body. Other than this issue of course. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bryan

Jun 24, 2014 at 08:17 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

So, is it safe to assume that you turned the "vertical operation on/off switch" to the ON position?

Page 39 of the 1Ds Mark III Users Guide

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0300004261/01/eos-1dsmiii-en.pdf

or

http://bit.ly/1mdR69B

Jun 25, 2014 at 02:11 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

Bryan,

Check Shutterbug's suggestion first. I embarrassingly and unknowingly turned the switch to off on a 1DIV. Nearly went crazy till a moment of intelligence struck me - yes, rare I know .

If the vertical switch is confirmed on and the portrait controls don't work, I did one time have to have a shutter button with a similar problem (on a 1DIII) replaced. Cost ~$200 USD with platinum CPS. Given that the portrait button is undoubtedly used less than the landscape it is hard to imagine something is wrong with it.

Robert

BTW Welcome aboard.

Jun 25, 2014 at 09:37 AM
JesseShotland
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

Yeah, imagine a dude who's owned all the 1D bodies and doesn't think to test the vertical I/O switch.

If you can't fix it and you need to send it in, I can't imagine it would cost more than 20 dollars.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM
BryanDP

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

ShutterBug2006, yes!! The portrait orientation control switch is turned on. (That's a mistake I made as a rookie, many, many years ago. When I still had hair!!). !! 😊

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

BryanDP wrote:
When I still had hair!!). !! 😊

Sorry for your loss

I know of one instance, 1DsII about 3 years ago, they never had it fixed because of the cost and the age.

I do not remember the amount.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM
BryanDP

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

Robert (OntheRez) and JesseShotland,
Yes, as mentioned earlier. I made that same mistake in the past. But now that I've grown accustomed to shooting in the portrait orientation more, I check that off of my list pretty early.
I think I may have to go ahead and send it in. I just picked it up yesterday, so I think I'll play with it for a few days, to make sure everything else is in proper working order beforehand though.
I'm hoping for closer to the 20 dollar fix, rather than the 200. But I can't imagine it. I am a CPS gold member though, so that'll help a little.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Greatly Appreciated!!

Bryan

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

Apart from trying to spray some air into the shutter release and on/off switch I haven't much to offer (I have a 1Ds3 too)

Frankly it sounds as if it's just plain faulty.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM
BryanDP

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

Psychic1,

Thanks for your condolences!! 😃!! Its been gone for quite a while though. So it's a good. I think I have a decently shaped head for it. (Although Enormous!!). 😜

I've got the 1Ds II, but think I'll let that one go if everything else pans out with this one. It'll round out my set of 1 series bodies. With the Mark IV, and III non s.

Bryan

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

Bryan

You might call Toshio, TF Canon Repair in East Brunswick, NJ and ask him for a ballpark estimate.

Jun 25, 2014 at 01:02 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

I checked into this repair on a 1Ds MkII about a year ago and was quoted about $150 with CPS Gold because of the flat rating of repair charges. I assume your charges will be about the same. I'd take Physic1's advice and check out independent repair agencies.

Jun 25, 2014 at 01:15 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

Actually I'd still check the on/off switch for the portrait button .
Maybe the switch is the problem . Does the finger wheel function when the shutter button doesn't (when the switch is in the on position)? .

If the switch is saying 'on' but is faulty then none of those controls would work .

Worth a check

Jun 25, 2014 at 03:00 PM
BryanDP

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

Psychic1 and Jeff Donaldson,

That's a great idea. I'll give them a call tomorrow, and see what they think. I'm actually just returning from a photoshoot using it exclusively, and other than that, it handled flawlessly!! So, at this point I think I'll be ok with paying to get it fixed. Just hate that I have to send it in right away after just getting it!!

Bryan

Jun 25, 2014 at 09:12 PM
BryanDP

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1Ds Mark III vertical shutter button problem?!

Ian.Dobinson,

After further inspection I actually think you're right that it may be a problem in the on / off switch itself vs the shutter button, because the scroll wheel doesn't work to change the exposure, focus points and so forth. Shucks!! The 3 buttons bellow the on / off switch are working just fine. Although in order for them to be useful that shutter button and scrolls wheel need to be functioning. So push come to shove. I'll be sending it in. May wait until Monday though, so I can use it for a fee more sessions this weekend.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies!!

Bryan

Jun 25, 2014 at 09:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.