Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Cross post - light stand for studio strobe on location...

russdenney01
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cross post - light stand for studio strobe on location...

This is also posted on the gear forum but doesn't seem to be gaining much traction...

I was curious if any of you may have a light stand recommendation.

I am acquiring a Profoto B1 strobe (about 6.5lbs) that will be used with a 3' Octabank and grid.

I am hoping there is something out there that is good for on-location work that can collapsed down and be put in a stand/tripod pocket on a Thinktank or Profoto back pack.

Any suggestions?

Jun 24, 2014 at 04:38 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cross post - light stand for studio strobe on location...

I'd be very, very leery of any collapsible stand that will fit in a ThinkTank tripod pocket to hold up a $2,000 Profoto light. I would think that any stand with that light weight and that small of a footprint would have to be sandbagged to death, which kinda defeats the purpose, especially when the B1 is fitted with an octa.

Do you have to work alone? If not, I'd consider a paint pole or monopod that you could carry along with the octa, and someone else could hold it up. That gives you infinite portability and freedom to place the light precisely where you want it. With the B1's TTL, I think that's the biggest thing going for it, rapidly and precisely placing the light with accurate flash exposure. Otherwise, I'd be hesitant to trust anything lighter than a C stand. But I don't have the B1 (yet), so take my advice with a grain of salt, or maybe two.

Jun 25, 2014 at 01:47 AM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cross post - light stand for studio strobe on location...

Thanks Steve.

I tend to agree with your concerns. I ended up ordering a Manfrotto 1005BAC which has some heft to it. It's not very small but it folds flat which is nice.

The paint pole idea is nice, but I won't always be in a position to have an assistant.

Jun 25, 2014 at 06:54 AM
Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cross post - light stand for studio strobe on location...

If you are talking about outdoor location, I'd want something pretty robust to hold a 3 ft. box if the breeze picks up. I once had a 13 ft. medium duty lightstand fold in half when a high wind hit it. The base was weighted down with a railroad tie so the stand wasn't going to blow over. Instead, it just bent over!

Kent in SD

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cross post - light stand for studio strobe on location...

Ouch! Good to know....sorry for your experience!
Two23 wrote:
If you are talking about outdoor location, I'd want something pretty robust to hold a 3 ft. box if the breeze picks up. I once had a 13 ft. medium duty lightstand fold in half when a high wind hit it. The base was weighted down with a railroad tie so the stand wasn't going to blow over. Instead, it just bent over!

Kent in SD

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:47 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.