New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Fastest lens with IS?

510storm
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fastest lens with IS?

Hey there FM,

What is the fastest lens with IS? I currently have a 17-55mm 2.8 and it is great, but I wanted to see if there was anything out there faster. I will be out camping next week and wanted to take some handheld video for a project. Thanks in advance!

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:36 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fastest lens with IS?

Canon 35mm f/2 IS and 200mm f/2 IS

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:38 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fastest lens with IS?

I dont think you can go just by fastest lens with IS .

the effectiveness of the IS play a huge part as well .
ie id probably back the 70-200/4 IS (4 stop) to let you shoot handheld at slightly slower shutter speeds than the older IS system (about 2stops) in the mk1 70-200 2.8 .

That said on a crop I think you probably have the best option (it is a great lens) available although that 35/2 prime will get you a stop better Fstop plus probably a stop better IS effectiveness . but that partly depends if you only ever intending to shoot wide open with both lenses .

but then also I think you can get better results in lower light with a slower IS lens on a good FF body , eg the 6D with 24-105/4 over a crop body with a 2.8 IS lens .
Having shot my 7D indoors with a 17-55 and getting OK results I found the performance I gained with my 5D3 +24-105L was way more than that 1 stop I lost from the lens . (thats shooting the same museum in 2 different outings)

if your shooting crop (and sticking with it) I think id want the 17-55 with me as it is a great all round lens.

Jun 24, 2014 at 02:23 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fastest lens with IS?

The focal length will affect the amount of blur that each shake adds to the image. Longer focal lengths add more blur.

If you are shooting video or stills with a 50 mm lens and (say) a 1/100 sec shutter and shakes that add up to 5 pixels of blur, then if you go to a 20 mm lens, you will get only 2 pixels of blur and if you go to a 100 mm lens you will get 10 pixels of blur.

There will be some level of tolerable blur, at the limit of the IS and shutter speed. That will be different for each lens, because of different focal lengths and different IS technology levels and different handholding characteristics. Sometimes heavier lens make for less blur because the mass has a damping effect on the mirror and shutter shake. That's not an issue for video, but the extra mass has more inertia and that can reduce shake.

Jun 24, 2014 at 05:43 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fastest lens with IS?

I figure the amount of blur is directly proportional to the angle of view (AOV), not focal length (f). Based on FF diagonal AOV,

f = 20mm, AOV = 94 deg
f = 50mm, AOV = 47 deg
f = 100mm, AOV = 24 deg

5 px at 50mm (47 deg) ~ 2.5 px at 20mm ~ 9.7px at 100mm ...

Oh wait, that's more or less exactly what you said. Nevermind.

Jun 24, 2014 at 05:51 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fastest lens with IS?

Correct. AoV is the critical factor, and I was being lazy with my thinking. Focal length is a proxy for AoV, but that relationship is best with longer focal lengths and breaks down as AoV gets wider.

Jun 24, 2014 at 06:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.