New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

Alex de Groot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

A few for critique, not sure about the post processing. At home on calibrated screen it looks alright to me but now at work I look at different computers and it looks blown out. Also think it might be too cold? Should I add some warmth to the images maybe? Increase the WB a tiny bit?

I have done some dodging on the eyes in Lightroom but maybe it needs some more to let the eyes come out a little better?

The lighting also looks kinda flat to me, what do you think? It was on a real cloudy day in a forest. Didnt know how to do better, tried to use reflector to lighten the face a bit better but it didnt reflect much at all in this situation I was shooting in.

Have not yet delivered the images to the girl btw, was hoping for some tips here. It was a TFP shoot btw.

IMG_3474 by Alex de Groot, on Flickr

IMG_3437 by Alex de Groot, on Flickr

IMG_3373 by Alex de Groot, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ajdegroot/14493286851/in/photostream/
IMG_3362 by Alex de Groot, on Flickr

IMG_3354 by Alex de Groot, on Flickr

Jun 24, 2014 at 07:08 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

These are all very nice Alex. The only thing I would do is try to get her skin tones the same from one photo to the next. Photos 2 & 4 look like they are the same where 1, 3 & 5 all have different skin tones. (not much but enough to notice)
I think you could lighten under her eyes a little and that would help.
I don't think these are flat but I think that is more of a style choice. (Your style choice)
Her eyes in #5 are great. Just the right amount of light in my opinion.
Nice set overall.
Greg

Jun 24, 2014 at 07:48 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

You could lower the brightness a bit, your call.

Things to think about is because of her light color hair, the field and the light color under the tree almost blend. What I mean is that if the background had a different color / pattern it would pop more. I also think the tree branch by her face is distracting. The cropping might be a tag tight, be interesting to see a wider crop on each.

Jun 24, 2014 at 08:04 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

The fourth shot works best for me, its all about the pose. I don't care for the over the head arms or the indirect gaze or when her eyes are blocked with hair or the face blocked with foliage in some of the others.

Jun 24, 2014 at 08:49 AM
newhaven
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

I believe the first one should look more like this -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/glenngaryglenross/lydia_web1.jpg
The red channel is too hot.
Four looks good.

Edited on Jun 24, 2014 at 12:09 PM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Alex de Groot

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

Thanks for the replies, all advise I can get is helpful to me! I'll go try to get the skin tones the same in the images tonight, and I think I'll lower the brightness a tiny bit.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

Yes there is a problem with the light.

As usual, my question is where do you want to go with these images?
Portrait - Beauty - Fashion.

1- For the light temp, and as we do not have your exif and you are saying it was cloudy and bright, this means your color temp was 6k or 7k which falls in the C zone.

2- A reflector would only make things worse, what you need is a scrim and only then a reflector can be used.
Alternatively, you can use strobes/flash and if push comes to shuv, simply put your camera color temp on fluorescent and get more blue which can be easily corrected.

3- That is only one of the problems, the second issue is posing her. Avoid hands and armpits unless you are comfortable in posing.

4- All models either need a good night sleep before a shoot or have a good MUA handy.
Her eyes bags are atrocious and Lightroom is not the place to treat such. Your images are good and the model is lovely....unless you are a good retoucher, you are going to have a hard time color grading your images and retouching the flyaway-hair and the eye bags.

5- As for the images looking different from your station and on the web. This is a whole issue on it's own. For sake of simplicity, make sure that the Jpeg (sRGB) is viewed on your station with the Proof Set Up set on Internet sRGB Standard and you embed the sRGB profile when you save your Jpeg. I dislike save for web and stick with save as Jpeg with better control. But that's my work flow and most people use save for web.

Nough said.....

Jun 24, 2014 at 02:23 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

Almass wrote:
Yes there is a problem with the light.

As usual, my question is where do you want to go with these images?
Portrait - Beauty - Fashion.

1- For the light temp, and as we do not have your exif and you are saying it was cloudy and bright, this means your color temp was 6k or 7k which falls in the C zone.

2- A reflector would only make things worse, what you need is a scrim and only then a reflector can be used.
Alternatively, you can use strobes/flash and if push comes to shuv, simply put your camera color temp on fluorescent
...Show more

I really like this redo.

Jun 24, 2014 at 04:03 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

For the first I'd suggest a bit of rotation, adding some negative space for better balance, retouching, and if using PS, an HSL layer with the Hue of the red channel bumped something around +5 to add some yellow to the slightly red skin.

Jun 24, 2014 at 04:07 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

Almass was spot on. My principle issues are with the posing. After the fact, it limits what can be done with the main salvage tool to rotate an image and reconstruct the corners.

Jun 24, 2014 at 04:34 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

Almass, awesome edit!!

You really made those eyes pop and cleaning up some of the face really did wonders.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jun 26, 2014 at 09:56 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

Ben - Karen - Jeff. Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Jun 27, 2014 at 06:00 PM
tommycrow

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shoot with Lydia, not sure about my PP

It's a good set, light looks good and post was done well. In a few of the shots she's a bit posey but this happens with people who aren't models!

Jul 10, 2014 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.