FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

Lance B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

Here, tested on Canon 5D MKII.

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/876-sigma50f14art

Interestingly, as far as resolution figures are concerned (which isn't everything I know), it doesn't score any better than the 35 f1.4 Art in the centre, in fact they are almost identical in the centre at f2.8, f4 and f5.6, but the 35 is better wide open. Both tested on Canon 5D MKII.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:30 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

It's definitely OK with me if it scores as good as the 35/1.4 ART. That makes it the best 50mm out there for most people. Good on Sigma for mixing up the market a bit, if anything it will encourage Nikon and Canon to step it up a notch (not that what they offer now is bad by any stretch, but competition is good for everyone). I might find one of these in my bag sooner than I thought.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

Note that the 50 should have more contrast (of all types) at wider apertures, making it likely to be perceived as sharper than the 35.

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:25 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

They should have 'tested' it (hopefully will soon) on a D800
I shoot them both and the 50's even better wide open. More of
my SOOC samples are in this thread...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1297874

My review: forget the rest, you've FINALLY found your 50
Build/AF/IQ set the bar. I've had mine almost a month and it
hasn't even seen the dock yet. Believe all the hype.

© riversbendphotography

© riversbendphotography

© riversbendphotography

Jun 24, 2014 at 05:11 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

Very impressive, Will!

Jun 24, 2014 at 06:07 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

trenchmonkey wrote:
They should have 'tested' it (hopefully will soon) on a D800
I shoot them both and the 50's even better wide open. More of
my SOOC samples are in this thread...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1297874

My review: forget the rest, you've FINALLY found your 50
Build/AF/IQ set the bar. I've had mine almost a month and it
hasn't even seen the dock yet. Believe all the hype.

DXO mark didn't test it on the d800 either. the DXO scores for the 35mm art(on d800) vs the 50mm art on the 5dmiii the the 35mm has a higher score. Can't wait until the actually test the 50 art on the d800 the score should increase and might be close to the otus score on DXO mark. I know a lot of people dislike DXO mark.

I'll probably pick one up once they're in stock in more places. Every time I go to adorama they aren't available.

Jun 24, 2014 at 07:52 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

I take ALL the reviews with a grain...rather prefer to get one, fire away and
form my own opinion. I don't "test" per se, if my shots sell and I'm comfortable
w/ the lens under most conditions that's all I need to feel "secure" in my decision.
I'm battin' 3 for 3 with Sigma's "A" glass, and for #4 I sure could use a 135 f1.8 OS.
I'll bet I could pay it off in a couple of weekends, the only "score" that matters to me.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

lol I usually take reviews with a grain of salt. Well I bought the Nikon 16-35mm based on reviews and was underwhelmed with it. I bought it over the 14-24mm because I read that they were similar. I hate the stupid set up tests. Real world shooting isn't the same as a static test environment. Like you said I like to have it in hand and try it for myself. I was thinking of getting both the 35mm art and 50mm art but the 50mm first since I use that focal length more. I really hope the rumor mills were right about a possible sigma 24-70mm f2

Jun 24, 2014 at 02:39 PM
4mpx
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

The bokeh from this lens is pretty good for portrait. Very tempting...

Jun 25, 2014 at 02:58 PM
Prapanpong
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

I have mine about a month too and it glue to my D800 and I might have to sale my nikon 24-70 2.8G for the next Sigma.

Jul 04, 2014 at 01:29 AM
nntnam
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photozone review of Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art up

Dpedraza wrote:
lol I usually take reviews with a grain of salt. Well I bought the Nikon 16-35mm based on reviews and was underwhelmed with it. I bought it over the 14-24mm because I read that they were similar. I hate the stupid set up tests. Real world shooting isn't the same as a static test environment. Like you said I like to have it in hand and try it for myself. I was thinking of getting both the 35mm art and 50mm art but the 50mm first since I use that focal length more. I really hope the rumor mills were
...Show more

Well, most of the tests are in controlled condition and don't tell much how the lens performs in real world. Some lenses are not so impressive in lab test but have excellent on-the-field performance, other lenses score really high in benchmark charts but produce boring pictures .

Jul 04, 2014 at 01:48 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.