Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

herion
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

I got the EOS-M kit with the Speedlite 90EX. I don't use flash often, but this does seem more like an afterthought than anything else. I'm glad I got it, but I wonder if I'd be let down using it.

Can anyone give a good comparison between the 90EX and the 270EX II?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:15 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

I use the 270EX II on my EOS-M regularly- it's still relatively compact, and it puts out just enough light whether used directly or as a bounce indoors for most close-in situations. It can also be triggered optically by the 90EX, which is a plus.

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:19 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

johnctharp wrote:
I use the 270EX II on my EOS-M regularly- it's still relatively compact, and it puts out just enough light whether used directly or as a bounce indoors for most close-in situations. It can also be triggered optically by the 90EX, which is a plus.

John - do you use regular alkalines or NiMH in the 90EX and/or 270EX II ??

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:21 PM
longisland.km
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

Well, the 270 will allow you to do a bit of bounce, so that is something the 90 doesn't do. I use a 270 on the M sometimes. On occasion, I'll pop a 580 on it. You get really weird looks when the flash is bigger than the camera.

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:21 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

herion wrote:
John - do you use regular alkalines or NiMH in the 90EX and/or 270EX II ??

I went all Eneloops a month or two ago. Get a kit, some extras, and a spare charger (in addition to the one in the kit), and you're set for years. I don't intend to throw anymore batteries away .

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:24 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

It's a pity that the 90EX doesn't have...a simple...pivot mechanism :/

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:30 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

The 270 is much stronger (GN90 vs. GN270), and more versatile with its bounce capability. It's my favorite small flash -- works great on G10 and G1X. I even take it on larger bodies for flash fill and casual photos.

Like John, I usually use either the rechargeables, but have nothing against alkaline or lithium AA.

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:53 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

I own the 90EX and 270EX. Some advantages of the 270EX are you can bounce and use small light modifiers on it. I use a really small Joe Demb Flip-It with a diffuser or another Flip-It like product that is even smaller. The advantage of the 90EX is that it is compact and light. So I end up taking it more often than the 270EX. I tend to only use the 90EX as a direct flash. Both flashes are a nice size on the camera. Both are useful.

Jun 23, 2014 at 09:19 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

sirimiri wrote:
It's a pity that the 90EX doesn't have...a simple...pivot mechanism :/

It's too weak for bounce--half the strength of many popups--but pivot would allow better line of sight for triggering slaves. You can always put the 90EX on an OSCII or el cheapo clone OSCII for off-camera macro use. I mainly use the 90EX to trigger other Speedlites.

Jun 23, 2014 at 09:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

I have a 270EX II that I keep in my "daybag", and sometimes take for travel, when a 600EX-RT is overkill, or flash will probably not be used, but just in case...

I use Eneloops in all of my flash and support gizmos,

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

I use PowerEx batteries and it works great on my 5DIII and my M which its perfect. Came with a Soften cover on it which I think is really good compliment for party/candid shots where ISO 3200 isnt worth it on the 18-55.

Jun 24, 2014 at 08:11 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is the 270EX II worth it?

Personally, I would use it enough first to see if you are let down or not before upgrading it. Upgrading a flash you are unsure if satisfies your needs or not seems like a strange way to go about things.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.