Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · LAX tourney - My first Lax attempt

Ccugolf
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LAX tourney - My first Lax attempt

OK this was my first attempt at shooting Lacrosse.
Years ago I shot a lot of hockey, Hockey has more consistent lighting

Using a 60D and either a 70-210 usm or a 24-85 usm

I don't have any L glass yet and I don't see it in the near future.

Help me get better raw images.
Color and contrast. My eye is used to seeing slide film with richer saturation

is there anything I can do to get that pre processing?

To my eye the raw shots look over exposed

© Ccugolf 2014

Photo #1 Raw

© Ccugolf 2014

Photo #1 after Lightroom

© Ccugolf 2014

raw photo #2

© Ccugolf 2014

Photo #2 after lightroom with heavy crop

Attempt at a Pan, I think it worked OK

Jun 23, 2014 at 05:48 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LAX tourney - My first Lax attempt

Ccugolf wrote:
OK this was my first attempt at shooting Lacrosse.
Years ago I shot a lot of hockey, Hockey has more consistent lighting

Using a 60D and either a 70-210 usm or a 24-85 usm

I don't have any L glass yet and I don't see it in the near future.

Help me get better raw images.
Color and contrast. My eye is used to seeing slide film with richer saturation

is there anything I can do to get that pre processing?

To my eye the raw shots look over exposed

yes, over exposed with the aperture, shutter speed settings all over the place.
shooting at 1/250 is not going to get you sharp pics in sports!
Do you look at the exposure metering (eval, center, matrix) ?
When I shoot sports I try for a shutter at least 1/1600 at f5.6 or f6.3

And those lens are not the best. spend $100 on the 55-250 or maybe a little more on the Sigma / Tamron alternatives.

Do you check levels, contrast, curves, etc. in RAW?
Do you look at color saturation? "temps and hue" ?
do you use unsharp mask for sharpening?

Canon 60D
f5.6
1/1600

Christopher Newport University CNU York College Spartans Pa. Lacrosse LAX women's 2014 by cnu_sports, on Flickr

Jun 23, 2014 at 06:37 PM
kermey

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LAX tourney - My first Lax attempt

I agree with CW100 that your shots are definitely over exposed. I usually shoot lacrosse at at least 1/1000 when possible and if I have to I will drop to 1/800 but even at 1/800 I get some blurry unusable shots. If it is midday sun as your images look I would try to to expose maybe 1/2000 of a second and shoot at the lowest f-stop you can to try and blur your backgrounds as much as possible. Having played in many a summer lacrosse tournament I know that the backgrounds are going to be less than ideal. It looks like you can push your iso to around 3200 and still get usable shots (as long as your do not crop much) so boosting your shutter speed into the thousands should not be a problem.

Jun 23, 2014 at 09:25 PM
Ccugolf
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LAX tourney - My first Lax attempt

Thanks for the pointers. Will try some more next weekend and maybe a little practice at practice this week.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:51 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LAX tourney - My first Lax attempt

I respectfully disagree on the exposure issue. The shots out of camera shown here are NOT overexposed. Looking at faces and skin tones and specifically faces, the exposures are fine. It's looking washed out because in order to shoot for the proper exposure on faces and there is a lot of sky in the BG, the sky will inevitably blow out making the shots appear to look overexposed, when in fact the dynamic range between sky and face behind helmet is so wide to begin with. That being said, I think the exposures are fine.

However, we need to work on other things. Given you gear limitations, you'll need to be patient. Real patient. Shot #2 falls apart when you have to crop this much. Plus, due to the distance from lens and air behind subject theories, once you crop that image tight, it not only brings out all of artifacts of the subjects but it brings out all the imperfections in the BG (guy in green, port-o-potty, etc.).

Shot #1 has proper exposure for the FACES. Yeah the sky and grass are a little over, true, and post processing can help tighten that dynamic range, but honestly, I would have exposed this about the same. The recommendation though is in the settings used. Shutter needs to be higher, aperture... wide open and from there, let those settings dictate proper ISO. In the photo itself, it's not a keeper because the kid who has the ball is the focal point of action and we need to see his face. You can get away with action off the ball in LAX, specifically defensemen, but not in this shot. The kid with the ball is who we want to see.

Panning is a challenge, but often times it works better with getting a little more of the legs. There are some exceptions, but you'll want to see a little more action with legs. Good first attempt, but I would lower the shutter even more. The goal is to really to melt the BG.

This was from a few weeks ago with some pan attempts at the end:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1299375/0?keyword=Middle,School#12395852

Hope this helps.

Jun 24, 2014 at 03:51 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.