New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

jaybrams
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

I mainly shoot birds here in South Florida. Budgetwise, I am limited and have been shooting for the past several years with the Canon 400/5.6 mainly with a Canon 7D. I also have a 5D2. I have a Canon Extender EF 1.4x ii which I use only occasionally because I find I get sharper focus when autofocusing, which I can't do with the Extender and my two camera bodies. Like others, the new Tamron has me intrigued. But, looking at the Buy/Sell board, I noticed a number of Canon 1D2's coming up at reasonable prices which, I believe, would autofocus with my 400 and extender giving me pretty close reach to what the Tamron would provide. And, since I already have the lens and Extender, the price would be less than springing for the Tamron.

This is a hobby for me, but I'm always trying to get better. Does it make sense to pick up a 1D2 and skip the Tamron? Curious as to what others think. Thanks.

Jay

Jun 23, 2014 at 02:58 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

I think the word is still out for the Tamron fix and birds in flight from all I've read here lurking on those threads. I'd wait a bit longer on that before you splurge. I guess the only issue with the 1D2 is you can't micro focus adjust which may or may not concern you (or others). How high an ISO do you plan to shoot at f8? Your 400/5.6 does not have IS, which may limit your lighting conditions. I would research ISO IQ of the 1D2 vs. your 7D for your typical ISO range, or rely on some experts with experience here on that camera body.

I hear you can get pretty close to your birds down there. Can't you just use a 24-105?

David

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:09 PM
jaybrams
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

David,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am planning to wait a bit. I use a tripod virtually always with the 400/5.6 because I don't have the steadiest hand. You are right, you can get pretty close to the birds and I do have a 24-105. I tend to shoot at ISO 400, or higher if conditions warrant. I could also consider the 1D3. l was just wondering if I could get the same reach this way instead of the Tamron. The 400 has served me well with good IQ but extra reach is a bird shooter's desire!

Jay

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:26 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

Well, the crop sensor advantage for 'extra reach' issue has been beaten to a bloody pulp many a time and will be again. In the end, everything else being equal, a crop body will give mildly better IQ if you are significantly focal length challenged on a full frame body. Of course, having the appropriate focal length is always better than cropping via the sensor or lightroom, if you have the cash. Once you leave the 400 f/5.6 realm and go for more reach, cost rises steeply. There are 500 f/4 Mark I lenses available used for what I consider a relative bargain. It has been, probably still is, the workhorse of the wildlife realm. I would give a 500 f/4 beater consideration.

David

Edited on Jun 23, 2014 at 03:37 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:31 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

I've had the 150~600mm since the end of January, selling my 100~400mm Canon a few weeks later. I use it on 2 bodies, the 7D and 1DsMkII. The MkII is the same vintage as the 1DMKII. I have no issues with the focus with the older 1DsMkII. The lens does not need MFA and is very sharp. It does Ai Servo, but a 4FPS is limiting. I believe it will work fine on the older 1D as well.

The 7D required a MFA of +12. The Ai Servo is not as good as using the 300mm f/2.8 (with or without TC, and is only slightly worse than the 100~400mm. I've not sent my 150~600mm in for the firmware upgrade yet. There has been too much action here still with nesting birds etc. I do a lot of BIF and it is a frustrating experience with some shots. But I do more BIF in the cooler weather, preferring the woods and beaches to shot nesting birds.

I find the Tamron as sharp or sharper at all focal lengths, including 400mm. The ⅓ stop (f/5.6 to f/6.3) light loss is not a critical issue in sunny Florida. It is definitely sharper than the 100~400mm with a TC and I've used the series II and III TC's.

Here are a couple of recent shots with the Tamron

Both images 1Ds MkII 150~600mm, f/10, ISO 200, 1/100 sec. shutter speed, on tripod with 430 EX and Better Beamer EC -1⅔.

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:36 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

If you are always using a tripod anyway, why not focus using LiveView?

I have been following the Tamron since it was announced, examined hundreds of images and tried the lens myself. It appears to me, probably because of its optics and coatings, it has a peculiar and persistent color/contrast/sharpness "signature" that I don't find appealing, so never mind the price, firmware or operation, I can't get past that one and haven't seen examples where it has been corrected successfully in post.

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:43 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

Live view for a super tele? I think my keeper rate would plummet. It is just too slow for me and when I magnified the live view it would be pretty twitchy keeping on target. Then I wait 2 seconds for focus confirmation only for the little birds head to move out of the focus plane. Only time I used live view was when I adjusted my micro focus. For other things, live view rocks. YMMV and you may have better skill at this than I do.

As far as the "signature", I think those woodpeckers above look very nice in addition to many other photos I have seen here on FM. Nut's I think we are already off track from the OP.......

I still think the 24-105 mm is the best option since the birds get so close down there.

David

Edited on Jun 23, 2014 at 04:08 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:52 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

John_T wrote:
If you are always using a tripod anyway, why not focus using LiveView?

When Canon releases an FF body with DPAF and touch shutter, I expect a lot of people will be switching their style around. If Canon does it right, such a setup will even be effective for BIF.

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:57 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

Yee auld fashun 7D + 100-400 & Co.

Jun 23, 2014 at 04:18 PM
jaybrams
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and especially to those who posted images. I think I will wait to make any changes until later in the year. I do love my 400/5.6 and any move to replace it will be difficult. I was just thinking about alternatives to replacement, although adding another camera body is not ideal at this point. I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Jay

Jun 23, 2014 at 06:40 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

Jeff D., Nice shots and thanks for this intel on the 150-600. Mine arrives Wednesday. Having sold my 100-400 in hopes of a 150-600 at least it's equal, I find your assessment encouraging.

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:59 PM
jaybrams
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

As an update to this old thread, I subsequently ordered a 150-600 which arrived last week. So far, I like it. However, I find my first images are far better from my full-frame 5D2 than my 7D. Its pretty early and I've only been out a few times, but the initial results in terms of sharpness are distinctive. When I've had more chance to get comfortable with this lens, I'll post a few images. I wonder if my 7D, which is my workhorse with my 400/5.6 needs microfocusing adjustment. Or, can it be the smaller sensor is more sensitive to movement at longer focal lengths.

Oct 02, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

I had to MFA my 150-600mm to get the best results. If you tend to shoot wide open, i'd says it's mandatory. Here is a recent shot with the 7D and 150-600mm.

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:21 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

if you are looking for sharpness and not testing microfocus, you are looking for something you are not trying for.

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:35 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

1. Don't compare FF to crop images. If you are going to shoot from the same distance, you have to crop the FF images.
2. Of course you should be using faster shutter speeds with the 7D.
3. You have to determine if a body is front or back-focusing in order to know if MA is required.
4. The new Tamrons do not need any AF fix.
5. Certainly the 400 f5.6 plus a 1.4x TC can give good results at 560mm. However, with the Tamron you can also get decent results with a 1.4x TC at 840mm.
6. A suggestion to use live-view with most wildlife and telephoto lenses is ridiculous.
7. You can AF with your 7D and a 400 f5.6 plus 1.4x TC if you are willing to tape the contacts or use a non-reporting TC.
8. Those that nitpick the shortcomings of the Tamron can go buy a $8,000 lens.

Oct 02, 2014 at 02:14 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

Okay, my two cents (which most people would already say should be discounted from that price).

If you are going to get a body to go with the 400 5.6, i would strongly suggest the 1D3 over the 1D2. It is a much better camera (I have owned both). The 1D3 can be had for less than the Tamron 150-600 in pretty good condition. No comment on the 7D2 (it is unknown at this point, and it costs a fair mount more than the tamron lens).

I will leave opinions on the Tamron to others.

Oct 02, 2014 at 02:39 PM
jaybrams
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

Imagemaster wrote:
1. Don't compare FF to crop images. If you are going to shoot from the same distance, you have to crop the FF images.
3. You have to determine if a body is front or back-focusing in order to know if MA is required.
5. Certainly the 400 f5.6 plus a 1.4x TC can give good results at 560mm. However, with the Tamron you can also get decent results with a 1.4x TC at 840mm.
6. A suggestion to use live-view with
...Show more

Imagemaster: I think a lot of this makes sense. I've only had the lens for a short time and operator technique needs to be refined before I do any AFMA. At this point, I need more practice in the field and examination on the screen to determine whether, and how much, AF is out of focus. I do like this lens and its build quality a lot. I'm also not sure whether my Manfrotto 190 carbon tripod is strong enough for this lens. I use it with a Mongoose 2.3 gimbal (made for smaller lenses than the 3.6).

So I have some work to do. All suggestions have been helpful and I will follow-up. Its nice to see that two of the highly respected members of FM are using this lens and pleased with it.

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:36 PM
Phantom Medic
• • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

Imagemaster wrote:
6. A suggestion to use live-view with
...Show more

I agree with most of it but would like to add that the Tamron is almost a strict f/8 lens. You will get much better results. Of course you can get decent pics wide open but it will lower your keeper rate.

Oct 02, 2014 at 05:31 PM
kvolk
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Another Tamron 150-600 Question

I bought a Sidekick for use with my Tamron but have yet to use it to take a shot. 95% of my shots are out the window of my truck. The other 5% are across the hood on a beanbag

Oct 02, 2014 at 11:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.