New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Gear recommendation

netracer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gear recommendation

Heading to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons this summer and was looking to spruce up my gear selection. I'm torn between a 7D or 1d Mark 3? This will likely also wind up being a successor body for my 'everyday' use - soccer, parties, etc. Budget is about 1k out of pocket.

Currently going with me is a 40d, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105, EF 70-200/2.8 (maybe), EF 400/5.6, EF 60Macro

Everything I read seems to have the 1d3 preferred, but I have some reservations around giving up that .3 of reach and the megapixels for when I need the extra range, and since it will replace my 40D (and thus require the sale of the 10-22), my widest will be 24mm (x1.3).

Is the IQ and AF of the 1D3 worth giving up MP (vs 7d), 240mm of reach and 15.2mm on the wide end?

What about a 1Ds Mark II? Can that handle kid's soccer? I still have the reach issue, but MP is up, and 24 native on the wide end will probably get me by.

For my trip, any suggestions on if I really need to bring the 70-200/2.8 along? Will anything be in that range? I'm thinking Yellowstone/GT is either big wide landscape or wildlife that I need a telescope to see, so I'm leaning toward leaving it home.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gear recommendation

5diii is in my view the most versatile (wide, long, iso, great focus) camera there is, however:
1) Its not $1000. Its $2000
2) You would then want to sell your 10-22 and buy a 17-40 or 16-35 or ts 17. Add another $1000.
3) Then you will find the 400 too short and buy a 600 for $12000.
[I know - I am addicted ]

You can get a 5dii for close to $1000 but:
1) Still would cause you to sell your 10-22 and buy a 17-40 because whats the point of having a full frame and not using it for landscape. And yellowstone needs wide.
2) Would not be a a good everyday camera. Its good for indoors, landscape but not for sport/wildlife

For your budget, I would get the 7d or 70d. I prefer 7d of 70d. 7d has bigger burst and better focus, and there is marginal differences otherwise. For wildllife aside from stationary, the 7d is better.

Your 400 is a bit short but if I were you I would rent a 500 with 1.4x. There is a camera store in bozeman that rents them. If not I would still bring the 70-200 because the bison will be that close, and occasionally you can get lucky with a wolf/pronghorn. 70/200 with 1.4x works pretty good. Just need the big lens for bears, pronghorn, wolves.

Edited on Jun 23, 2014 at 01:33 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2014 at 01:25 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gear recommendation

Having owned all of the bodies you discuss, I'll offer my thoughts and experiences and recent decisions here.

Here are the questions that you need to answer first:
1. How much weight are you willing to endure over the long haul?
2. How comfortable are you investing in older technology that does not reflect the near present?
3. How important is frame rate and durability to you?
4. What will be the primary focus of your gear after the trip has come and gone?

My history... if it is relevant... I am a nature photography (see http://btleventhal.com )95% of what I photograph is landscapes or wildlife and 5% is ecological research. I have owned and shot all the 1D and 1Ds bodies up to but not including the 1D mark iv. I have owned and shot all three flavors of 5D's. I have owned and Shot the 20D through the 7D (but not the 60D or 70D or any rebels). I have been doing this type of photography since 1985.

Recently I sold my 5D mark iii and one 7D for a 6D and 1D mark iii + cash (I still have a second 7D). While the 7D had many advantages that are not present in the 1D mark iii (like: modern processor, video, great LCD, very usable live view, cross battery compatibility, high resolution, viewfinder LCD overlay), I found these features to be less important than the fast frame rate, weather sealing, battery life and faster AF found in the 1D mark iii. If I did not have a 6D for the added resolution, my decision might have been a different one.

Regarding your 70-200 and Yellowstone... I'd bring it. The zoom will give you flexibility in the mid tele range and is potentially useful for bison, big horn and even bears... Your 24-105 might not see the same use. BTW, if you do decide to get a 1Ds II (batteries are heavy and lose charge over time more rapidly than the 1D III and up series) or the 1D mark iii, your 10-22 will not be compatible. You may want to consider this before making your decision.
regards,
bruce

Jun 23, 2014 at 01:31 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gear recommendation

Scott Stoness wrote:
5diii is in my view the most versatile (wide, long, iso, great focus) camera there is, however:
1) Its not $1000. Its $2000
2) You would then want to sell your 10-22 and buy a 17-40 or 16-35 or ts 17. Add another $1000.

You can get a 5dii for close to $1000 but:
1) Still would cause you to sell your 10-22 and buy a 17-40 because whats the point of having a full frame and not using it for landscape. And yellowstone needs wide.
2) Would not be a a good everyday camera. Its good for indoors, landscape but not for sport/wildlife

For
...Show more

OP said 1D Mk III, not a 5D Mk III --- 1D3s can be had for around a grand all day long....

That said, I would go with a 7D....... the 1D3, although awesome in its day and a total tank when it comes to build, it quite long in the tooth.... not that the 7D is any spring chicken, but IMHO its better than a 1D3 in every area other than build......

I would also consider a 5D2 with associated lens change.... The 5D2 is a much better landscape camera than any 1D except the "X"...... If you could bump up yoru budget a bit, you could get a 5D2 and trade your 10-22 for a 17-40 or 16-35.

Oh... and DO NOT leave the 70-200 2.8 home.... that's arguably your best lens and real good for large animals when combined with a crop body.

Jun 23, 2014 at 01:33 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gear recommendation

Scott beat me to it.... similar advice . BTW, I use a 300 f2.8 IS + converters...
bruce

Jun 23, 2014 at 01:33 PM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gear recommendation

Yellowstone is a target rich environment for the widest range of focal lengths. I would definitely bring the 70-200 along.

You have a good set of lenses and if you add either the 7D or 70D I think it would be really good. Yellowstone is one of the places where having 2 (or 3) cameras with different focal lengths on them is very helpful.

70-200 can also be really nice for landscapes for for distant things and to focus in on specific features.

Jun 23, 2014 at 01:36 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gear recommendation

I don't have Scott or Bruce's experience but this is my kind of photography. I would add to Bruce's list: 5. How much money are you willing to spend?

I think having two camera bodies in a place like Yellowstone is a great idea. Have one equipped with a normal to wide zoom and one with a telephoto. So unless you intend to buy two bodies, I would suggest keeping your 40D. You can use it with your EF-s lenses and your 400 for reach. I did two trips to Yellowstone the year I bought my 7D and I can't say my 7D images are any better than my 40D images. In fact I gave away my 40D and sold my 7D after getting my 5D3. I now use a 5D2 + 5D3 pair.

Keeping your 40D, you are now free to consider any format for your 2nd body. I would also suggest you consider a 5D2. Paired with the 24-105 and 70-200 it will give you great landscapes and portraits and then you can use the 40D for everything else.

Jun 23, 2014 at 02:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gear recommendation

I used the 1DIII and 7D together for a couple of years. I think the 1DIII is better in every way, except perhaps for "reach".

Jun 23, 2014 at 02:07 PM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gear recommendation

i would do a 1.x body for reach and action shots. perhaps 70d / 7D and a 1Dx / 5dx for full frame. Then perhaps add a 16-35 or 17-40 and sell your 10-20. on the reach side the 100-400L would perhaps be nice.

My 2 cents. cost will be over 1k in almost all cases.....

Jun 23, 2014 at 02:12 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gear recommendation

between your choices, 1D3 without question.. the 24-105, 70-200 + 400 f5.6 will definitely do well for you on that body.

keep the 10-22mm or 60 macro on the 40D (backup body for non-macro situations), true wide angle when you need it

in the rare situation you want more reach, maybe put the 400f5.6 on the 40D and you're set..

slightly over your budget of 1k, but the 1D3 is much, much better than the 7D. in fact, I might put file quality of the 40D over those of the 7D files, although the latter has newer features & more resolution

Jun 23, 2014 at 02:28 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gear recommendation

6D, ditch the 10-22 for a Samyang 14/2.8, grab a TC for the long stuff, call it done.

Jun 23, 2014 at 02:39 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gear recommendation

1D3 -- great camera for the money.

Jun 23, 2014 at 05:09 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gear recommendation

Doesn't the 1D3 do f8 AF? Then a 1.4x is possible with the OP's 400. That capability is what sold me on the 5D3.

Jun 23, 2014 at 05:11 PM
tomlamb47

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gear recommendation

I can't speak to the 5d choice but I've used the 7D for the last two years and the 1D3 for the past year. And between those two the 1D3 is a much better camera. The only advantage the 7D has over the 1D3 is reach and a better rear LCD. Other than that the 1D3 has better build, better ISO performance, faster AF, faster shutter, and the RAW files look better to me. I use my 7D less these days and really don't miss the reach. At around $1K it's probably the best bang for the buck.

Jun 24, 2014 at 07:54 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gear recommendation

The 1Ds2 can easily handle the AF aspect of kids' soccer because it has the same AF system as the 1D2 sports camera. However, you've got to factor in that the interface is old and cumbersome by modern standards, the high ISO performance is poor, It needs a firewire 400 computer interface to program the Personal Functions (which are certainly useful), the modern software from Canon does not support it, it has a maximum frame rate of just 4fps, and it has no in-built sensor cleaning mechanism (more of a problem when changing lenses in the field than when not). In short, it is best avoided nowadays unless your needs are specific and suited to the camera, and your experience is not with the bells and whistles of modern cameras. At low ISO it takes very nice images but the dynamic range that was so good in its day is not as good as current models offer.

Be sure that your 1D3 was fixed properly before you buy it. They had a number of "recalls" to fix a focusing problem that was far too common in that model. Personally, I don't think it has enough pixels.

An option out of left field is to have a nice fixed-lens compact camera such as a Ricoh GR 5 to do occasional wide stuff while you use your 70-200 on your 40D for the longer stuff. The GR 5 will fit in your pocket. Such an outfit is easier to carry around all day than a bunch of lenses that cannot all be used at once.

- Alan

Jun 25, 2014 at 05:13 AM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gear recommendation

I just went this last summer and my kit was
6D which usually had either the 17-40 or 24-105 mounted
7D with the 100-400 mounted, many times this was not long enough but the zoom made it prefereable to a prime. Now if I was going to sit at one of the overlooks and wait for the game to come out in the evening, as many did, then absolutely would want a 500 or 600 with extenders. If you have to buy one, it would be a tough choice, not ever having used a 1D body I would be tempted to go with the 7D for the better reach and the better croppability (is that a word?) due to the higher MP sensor. Can't go wrong either way. Have a good trip. I can't wait to go back.

Wyatt

Jun 25, 2014 at 05:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.