New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help on directing model

Alex de Groot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help on directing model

This is driving me crazy. When I am shooting a session with a person / model (mostly female), I am really fast out of stuff to do / poses to make etc. Even when I look up examples on internet before the shoot about what I like to create, I'm just blacked out during the session. When I bring examples of images on my phone to use during a shoot I also find it hard to get that look and pose from the person in front of the camera.

I am trying to direct the model on how to stand, and what to do with her arms / hands, but I find it really really hard to get a nice variety of images with a model. I cant get any further then turn body this way / look there / play with your hair / look to camera now etc.

Below are a few shots from yesterdays shoot:

I also found myself ending up with way too many "hands in the hair" images

Well this is kinda what I could have after 10 minutes, and then I kinda think "well what now". Makes me really kinda feel bad about myself. I also cannot find any really good guides on youtube on this. Lots of short video's or video's with great models that know how to pose real good already.

I think it would be nice for the model to kinda keep moving herself and differ from poses and looks. Tomorrow I will be doing another photoshoot and I hope to get some tips here I can utilize tomorrow.

FYI: I haven't been doing this for too long working with people, think this is my about my 7th session or so.

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:35 AM
Natalie H
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help on directing model

Hi Alex,

This is something I am finding really difficult myself, so I'm afraid I can't offer any useful advice. I'll watch this thread keenly!

However, I think you've done well. The poses look good to me. I do notice that her the back of her hand is directly facing the camera in a few of them, and might work better on more of an angle.

I realise, though, that you're less interested in tips on these particular poses, and more specifically asking about how to get a wide variety. Let's hope some experts chime in!

Cheers, Natalie

Jun 23, 2014 at 08:48 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help on directing model

When ever I shoot with a new model I'll ask that we get together and shoot just for a bit of fun. So we get to know each other a bit and she and I feel comfortable around each other. The images are not important at this stage.

Usually I have an idea of what I want to shoot, 3-4 different looks. So changes of clothes, accessories etc are essential to break the shoot up, if I'm in studio changing lighting etc also helps. It keeps the model interested and it's giving her something different to do. If there's something they like then I will incorporate that into a shoot. I've shot with athletes, sports players and I always use that in the shoot.

Standing is I think the most difficult to get a lot of poses out of a new model so I will help them by having a stool or chair to sit on. It's amazing how much better they can pose when they're not standing. I'll use walls for them to rest on etc.

When outdoors there's a lot more options. Different locations Different angles (have her lay on some grass climb a tree and shoot down at her) use the environment around her to help her pose. Benches, tree logs, long grass etc will all help her with the pose. It will also help with hand placements since they're just not hanging there.

Having said all that on your next shoot don't worry about how many different poses you can get but worry about getting some great images. Spend your time setting a shot up so it's as good as you can get it.

Regards
Bud

PS: having a great model helps

Jun 23, 2014 at 09:11 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help on directing model

If they're not shy, you can ask them to dance for you and you'll find a lot of poses that way. Looks like she has a dress, have her hold the ends of them. Lastly, think about quality instead of quantity. Focus more on the light (and background) than on the pose. Look at the harsh shadows under her lower eyelids in this series. You need the light to work for you, to help make those eyes pop.

From what you're saying, it sounds like you're a bit stressed during these shoots because you're so focused on the poses. Let it go. Just have fun. If you really need to, put a gallery of poses on your smart phone and refer to that during your shoot. But eventually, you'll want the poses to evolve naturally out of what your subjects brings, takes into consideration the environment, and what you've learned makes a subject look good.

More than anything, just have fun with it.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Alex de Groot

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help on directing model

Thanks all for the replies, I guess there is not a real clear answer for this think it gets better over time and after doing more shoots. Just wanted to share some results from the shoot I did the day after I posted this.

IMG_3606 by Alex de Groot, on Flickr

IMG_3705-1 by Alex de Groot, on Flickr

IMG_3798-1 by Alex de Groot, on Flickr

IMG_3744-1 by Alex de Groot, on Flickr

IMG_3625-1 by Alex de Groot, on Flickr

IMG_3723 by Alex de Groot, on Flickr

Think it went pretty well! Felt more relaxed this time somehow. It was on a rainy day but we decided to shoot anyway, glad I did!

Jun 27, 2014 at 07:27 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help on directing model

Really love your second set, she looks very relaxed yet poised!

Jun 27, 2014 at 09:51 AM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help on directing model

I also had a peek at the pictures at your site, and for starters, they are an advert that it really isn't necessary to have the latest multimegapixel monster camera to get excellent IQ. IMO quite Impressive results for a almost ten year old 6 megapixel camera with standard zoom lenses.

That said, although I don't know your shooting style, I think that part of your problem is that you shoot too static and too focused.

If I look at your pictures of your models, it strikes me that although obviously most attention is given at the way they look and the area around the face, the rest is quite overlooked (the badly fitting dress of the model in the first set, the protruding belly of the model in the second set).

It seems to me that you are too focused on one aspect (the pose and facial expression), and consequently overlook the total picture (how does the figure of the model show, does she stand in a natural way).

To draw the line from the above to the posing, maybe you are too detailed towards the models with how to pose (you say you take examples of images on your phone to use during a shoot and expect/want to get that look and pose from the person in front of the camera).

You say you have little experience with shooting people (although your site seems to indicate otherwise) so I assume that you don't work with very experienced models either.

Problem in my experience then is that if they are instructed too detailed, they will forget anything they know and can, like spontaneity and suppleness , and consequently stiffen up and in a mechanical way try to do exactly what they think you want them to do.

I agree that showing your models pictures of what you have in your head is an excellent tool to give your models an idea what you're after (hence the generally accepted practice of mood boards in styling and photography).

But you should not be afraid to let go of those ideas when things don't exactly work out like you want them to. Just go with the flow, relax and improvise, and shoot, shoot, shoot. After all, you're shooting digital so unlike the film days you don't have think about the costs of developing an prints.

And also, even if a picture isn't immediately what you want it to be, the click of the camera is far more comforting to a (beginning) model then (after only ten minutes) being (constantly?) told that 'this isn't it ' and to 'pose' in another way (although that said I'm absolutely no fan of the 'directions' you too often see in bad movies where the sweating photographer jumps around the model yelling ' Yeah baby that's it, give it to me, make love to the camera!! ' )

As for posing directions, when I try to give a model directions how to pose, especially for natural looking (outside) pictures, I always ask myself in the back of my mind ' would she stand like that if she were waiting for the bus?'

If not, ask your model to relax her shoulders, relax her face, relax her mouth, shift her weight on her legs to stand a bit more at easy, and tell a stupid joke to break the tension. And don't forget to relax yourself too, it's only pictures

Jun 28, 2014 at 05:54 PM
ThatGuy82

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help on directing model

The photos look decent, although the model seems a bit uncomfortable. I've heard it recommended that giving her a prop (like standing behind a chair) to work with might ease her into the process.

Jun 29, 2014 at 03:17 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help on directing model

The second set, second photo is really good...looks relaxed, natural. Some of the others look forced....I have found shooting people to be the most difficult photos I can take.....practice and more practice......no substitution for experience......

One other comment in the second set.....have the young ladies hide their bra straps if they can.....seeing them takes away from the photo......just my preference....

Last photo the pose is challenging, the dress she has on and the light, give her more of a stomach than I think she would like. I have told models before to suck it in, to turn a but more or to not even go with the photo.....when they see photos of themselves they are even more critical....you have to help them with the pose to make an area like this (stomach, butts, thighs, bare arms, potential double chins) disappear or absolutely minimized.....this one I wouldn't show her...but that is me, I feel they trust me to take the best photo possible.....also photo 3 & 4 in the last set I would crop differently to eliminate or not use at all for above reasons.....perhaps I am all wet.....but that would be my approach....

Jun 29, 2014 at 04:58 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help on directing model

You're doing fine, you're doing the things you need to keep doing 1) shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot 2) care about the result, think, analyze, self-critique 3) look at work you like, think how you can shoot certain things you see.

Increasing the quality/experience level of your models also goes a long way, but eventually you find it doesn't matter anymore because you're in control of your shoot, and direct with intention. The above 3 are more important IMO.

It's a process. I'm still never, ever satisfied.

Jun 29, 2014 at 06:19 PM
planalpha
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help on directing model

I run into this too, but the more I do it the better it gets. One of the best resources I've found on posing and directing is Lindsay Adler's Posing 101 class on CreativeLive. It was soooo worth the $99 I paid for it and I have learned so much about what I should/shouldn't do with specific models. It takes 3 days to watch all of the content and comes with PDF's of all of the poses for each person so you can refer back to them. Try her "mood board" idea prior to your shoot and have it all planned out, and just have fun once you're actually shooting.
Good luck!

Jun 29, 2014 at 06:34 PM
Alex de Groot

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help on directing model

Thanks, I'm going to look into that Posing 101 from Creative Live. Didn't know about this class but I think it will be really helpful. I love the Creative Live classes a lot.

About her belly, I can imagine she does not like it, also her dress was wet because of the rain so that made it sticking to her body a bit more even. I personally think it her belly is great the way it is but maybe for the photo it could have been done better ofc.

Jun 30, 2014 at 04:11 AM
Acacia13

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help on directing model

You have explained how to pose a model really well. The best tutor I have come across for this, so far hard to do subject for me. The next few days I will be spending in front of my white background and flash posing myself in the hope, soon, I can take your advice and ask a model to pose for me that has never done it before. Again. Very many thanks from a grateful amateur photographer. .http://www.mmgmodels.com/

Nov 16, 2015 at 01:40 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.