New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Picnic

geneva

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Picnic

This is a shot I use 85mm L lense for portrait. I took several shot, but I couldn't satisfied.

both are edited by Photoshop, any advice is makes me happy.

© Geneva 2014

Canon 5D markIII 85mml F/1.2 ISO 640 1/8000

© Geneva 2014

Canon 5D markIII 85mml F/1.2 ISO 640 1/8000

Jun 22, 2014 at 09:17 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Picnic

The first one is interesting with the girl and one plane of leaves in sharp focus. That she is looking up apparently at the leaves helps with the story. The amount of light along the top bothers me and the cut off legs also bother me.

The second works better over all. It seems to just be a portrait of the girl with an OOF background. Somehow I get the idea that the point of sharpest focus is the sunglasses. Is this so? Was it the intention? For some reason the cut off legs is ok in this one.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM
geneva

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Picnic

thx Ben so your are saying, while I shooting I have to think about topic. am i right?

ben egbert wrote:
The first one is interesting with the girl and one plane of leaves in sharp focus. That she is looking up apparently at the leaves helps with the story. The amount of light along the top bothers me and the cut off legs also bother me.

The second works better over all. It seems to just be a portrait of the girl with an OOF background. Somehow I get the idea that the point of sharpest focus is the sunglasses. Is this so? Was it the intention? For some reason the cut off legs is ok in this one.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Picnic

Hi Geneva. You are giving me too much credit as a critic. I am just saying what I see and how it effected me.

I think (not sure) that all photos are supposed to have a topic, but it seems to me that the girl is the obvious topic. I sense english is not your native language so maybe you mean something else?

I think Kent (Rustybug) would say its your story, so whatever you intended to tell us and what we report back that we see is a good test of how well it works.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM
geneva

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Picnic

Hello Ben.

yes my English is not native, it's correct. I come to study for English, and i got excited by some local photographer. I just started several month ago. :-)

Anyway, I just say thank you. I am not good at long writing in english( I want to write long and formally ), so later when I post I will write more accurate information with good photos.

Sorry for give you too much credit for critic.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:21 AM
BonnieIris

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Picnic

I think the leg chop is a little awkward in both of these. I would either have the whole body in, including feet, or crop in above the knees.

In #1, there is a lot going on, my eyes are just all over the place.

In #2, there isn't much connection with the subject.

I like the lighting and processing in both of the these, I think what you mostly need to work on is connection and composition.

Jun 23, 2014 at 02:16 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Picnic

As a portrait, the second works better.

The first:

1 - The line of the chin/neck in the first isn't flattering.
2 - Where is she looking? The eye follows thew path and finds nothing to explain why she's looking.
3 - For a some portraits, a small subject in a large image makes sense, but most of the time it's better for the subject to be a much larger portion of the image.

Second image:

Posing a figure usually works best if there is some way to make the pose more dynamic - give a sense of flow or visual motion. Having a subject standing vertically gives an image a static feel. Even adding a small rotation to the camera can make a straight pose more dynamic. Fashion photographers do it often. Otherwise guiding a subject to a good pose is something of an art itself.

Jun 23, 2014 at 05:47 PM
tommycrow

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Picnic

I love the look of the first image. Gotta love that 85 1.2.. I'd agree that her looking up seems a bit odd since there's nothing up there. It's a great location; you should go back and play with it some more!

Jul 10, 2014 at 02:35 PM
jackhopkins
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Picnic

But ISO 640, 1/8000 sec! Why?

Aug 16, 2014 at 07:04 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Picnic

jackhopkins wrote:
But ISO 640, 1/8000 sec! Why?

+1 @ ^

Drop two stops of ISO to 160 and you're still @ 1/2000.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Picnic

I think Ben and Karen's (AuntiPode) comment cover the essentials.
The one thing I would add, perhaps a personal reaction, is that the shallow DOF in the first feels off-putting, despite the smoothness of the OOF focus with such a great lens. The woman, and the branches above her are not only separated from the background, but have an almost pasted in, cut out look that I personally find disconcerting. I think shooting less than wide open would have been better aesthetically.

Scott

Aug 17, 2014 at 08:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Picnic

Took some creative liberties along with the crop.

Because she is looking up, I went with the vertical crop to assist with the implied direction. The crop @ the tree on left is to inversely reciprocate the lines of her legs ... both of which provide vertical direction.

I started to go with mono, but I kept wondering why she was looking at the leaves ... as if they were made of gold or something ... hence the (symbolic) toning a little more at the leaves.

I also lightened up things to reveal some of the detail in her clothing and maybe draw a bit more attention to her face.

Just a few things that caught my attention for trying to "craft" a message (albeit a bit crude @ some masking). The horizontal/landscape framing left me wondering "Why so wide ... what is it that you want us to see?"

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Picnic

I think that you are at a nice start of taking portraits. Few comments and tips that I have for you:
First image:
1. The model is too small within this large frame.
2. It seems like her eyes are looking straight to an empty air, not the leaves. It would look better if she could use her right hand to hold or each for the leaves.
3. Your cropping is right at her left knee. Try to avoid cropping at the joints.
4. You could use the light leak effect to cover some bright spots in the background and give the image a warmer look.

Second image:
1. Try not to put the model at the center of the frame.
2. Although her hair looks smooth, but the shaded area is too dark and lack details.

Hope it helps. Good luck and keep shooting.

Aug 18, 2014 at 05:19 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.