New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · aa storage

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · aa storage

I've amassed a small army of eneloops, and am curious how you folks store your batteries.

Jun 22, 2014 at 02:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · aa storage

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/MAHA-POWEREX-4-Cell-Plastic_p_107.html

Jun 22, 2014 at 04:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · aa storage

I keep mine in the devices, in mags for my CP-E3 battery packs, and in the original plastic 4-pack cases that came with the Eneloops. I keep two mags and two 4-packs in a small case for backup batteries when shooting events, with a pair of flash + CP-E3 that are already loaded with fresh batts. I rarely have to reach for the spares, but then it's more than a year since I shot an event where I used flash.

The attached photo shows what I could scrounge up, which is most of what I have. There are 70 Eneloop AA batteries in the photo, plus two more in the little Nikon SB-30 that I used to trigger the strobes.

Jun 22, 2014 at 06:29 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · aa storage

J, I don't have quite that many yet (maybe 32-40, I carry them loose in my cases and I always have them in groups of 4). I don't own any CPE3 battery packs, so it would be difficult for me to carry that many batteries.
With that said, when you use a CPE3, do you also keep 4 in the flash as well? So that would be 12 per flash?

none of my Eneloops have ever came with the plastic cases. My first packages I bought when Ritz was going out of business. They were "mobile booster" packs that came with 2 of them, an this stupid USB thing that you plug into your laptop and 6 days later you've got a charge.

Then I ended up buying packages with the chargers at the same store (I would've bought a lot at the price I paid, I basically stole them). The most recent batches, I've bought from Amazon, didn't have them either.

Jun 22, 2014 at 07:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · aa storage

Hi Rob,

RobertLynn wrote:
...With that said, when you use a CPE3, do you also keep 4 in the flash as well? So that would be 12 per flash?

Yes. If you got 'em , use 'em.

RobertLynn wrote:
...none of my Eneloops have ever came with the plastic cases.

The MAHA cases in EBH's link look just right. I use a MAHA 8-cell AA/AAA charger, and it's the finest kind.

Jun 22, 2014 at 08:25 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · aa storage

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Rob,

Yes. If you got 'em , use 'em.

The MAHA cases in EBH's link look just right. I use a MAHA 8-cell AA/AAA charger, and it's the finest kind.

Glad to hear. I will probably buy 2 of the external packs and put them on the flashes that I have off camera.

Jun 22, 2014 at 08:26 PM
atwl77
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · aa storage

I'm using a bunch of these:
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/aa-battery-holder.aspx

Jun 22, 2014 at 09:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · aa storage

My MAHA cases were free with battery purchases. I have several others of slightly different design. None are the most resilient, but they are convenient.

EBH

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:06 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · aa storage

I like these. I use them for every size battery I have. http://www.storacell.net/

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · aa storage

Interesting. I've seen them before, but had concerns about speed of use, bulk and TSA not liking the open ends. Maybe I'll try a few. There really should be some modern battery sizes, e.g., 17500, 18650 etc.

EBH

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · aa storage

EB-1 wrote:
Interesting. I've seen them before, but had concerns about speed of use, bulk and TSA not liking the open ends. Maybe I'll try a few. There really should be some modern battery sizes, e.g., 17500, 18650 etc.

EBH

If you are talking about the store a cell type holders. I've been flying with them for over a year since I found them and never had a problem with TSA. No, they are not fast to use but very organized and I found them easier to use than the TT AA battery holders. Also no flip lid to contend with. Not saying they are difficult but I think these are easier.

Fresh batteries go +side down and used batteries store +side up.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:12 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · aa storage

Check fleabay, I bought a pack of 10 AA cell holders like the Thomas Distributing ones for @ $4. They work great and even have slots to fit AAA's. They also have a slot on one side so you can gang several of them together.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM
donmega
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · aa storage

Another vote for the the Storacell holders. I have the AA and AAA holders. I use them in my camera kit and my hurricane kit.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · aa storage

Another enthusiastic recommendation for Storacell battery holders. I've replaced all my eBay battery holders with these. They never spill, and I find them very quick to use. The open end makes it easy to tell at a glance which batteries are ready for use (plus ends out, in my case) or in need of recharging (plus ends hidden). I use yellow cases for my AAs and orange for my AAAs--both easy colors to find in luggage and other places .

The first time I took them on an airline trip, I put two-dozen AA batteries into two Storacell cases in my checked luggage. I asked the TSA agent who inspected my luggage if there was any problem with them, and he said no.

--Chris

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:54 PM
jterps

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · aa storage

atwl77 wrote:
I'm using a bunch of these:
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/aa-battery-holder.aspx

I also use these. I like them because when they are empty they are very light and take up very little room.

Aug 03, 2014 at 11:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · aa storage

Chris S. wrote:
Another enthusiastic recommendation for Storacell battery holders. I've replaced all my eBay battery holders with these. They never spill, and I find them very quick to use. The open end makes it easy to tell at a glance which batteries are ready for use (plus ends out, in my case) or in need of recharging (plus ends hidden). I use yellow cases for my AAs and orange for my AAAs--both easy colors to find in luggage and other places .

The first time I took them on an airline trip, I put two-dozen AA batteries into two Storacell cases in
...Show more

well of course one would say that. normal AA batteries aren't the issue. it's Lithium batteries including AA versions due to the substantially higher power density. the results are slightly different when they are shorted.

and yes i have a few Powercell holders too.

Aug 03, 2014 at 11:44 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · aa storage

It's really about the failure mode. Nickel based cells can rupture and leak a strongly basic (caustic) solution along with steam, but it is an aqueous cell. There are various lithium cell chemistries, but all have some safety issues and the TSA can't see the safety circuits or how flammable the battery chemistry is or is not.

EBH

Aug 04, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · aa storage

To be clear, the AA batteries I baggage-checked without problem were Sanyo Eneloop brand NiMH.

--Chris

Aug 04, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · aa storage

I have some no-name plastic cases with rubber inserts to hold 8 AAs that I picked up on clearance for a buck each. Works well for me.

C

Aug 04, 2014 at 06:18 AM
G-Four

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · aa storage

Seems like you should be using these for the Eneloops.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038291-REG/sanyo_eneloop_case_bp_eneloop_battery_case_for.html

Tom

Aug 04, 2014 at 07:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.