Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

BKphotography
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

Couple booked me before he was born.

Thought I would be ok but, wow I'm feeling like $h!te this morning.

This situation happened to any of you good people?

Oh...

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y S A M M Y !

Jun 22, 2014 at 04:02 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

Happy birthday, Sammy, indeed...

I missed my second child's first birthday due to cross-country work and it sooo sucked. We fathers and parents do what we must do, I suppose.

Hang in there, Brian. This won't be the last time you take best care of your children in manner that feels very conflicted. Stay strong and hug 'em tight every chance you get.

Blessings,

Chuck

Jun 22, 2014 at 07:04 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

WHAT A TERRIBLE DAD!

Don't worry about it. It's all about the quality of time/experiences.

Happy shooting!

Jun 22, 2014 at 07:27 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

Happy Birthday, Sammy!!

I have a destination wedding next Saturday and my mom's birthday is 2 days before the wedding so I cant be with her and I really hate that, I feel better because she's the one that told me to go for it.

Jun 22, 2014 at 08:03 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

There's not much good about my life right now but probably the best thing is that I don't have children. Soooo glad I don't have to deal with birthdays.

Jun 22, 2014 at 08:06 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

I shot a wedding on my wife's due date for our first child. Her call not mine, we were stoney broke at the time.

Jun 22, 2014 at 08:33 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

The kid isn't old enough yet to even realize it's his birthday, just pretend it's tomorrow. When they're older obviously you'll know to block that date off if needed. Such is the life of a wedding vendor.

Jun 22, 2014 at 09:29 AM
RTencatiPhoto

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

I booked a wedding on my own wedding anniversary. My wife was very understanding, especially since it brought in extra money

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

Both the wedding and the wee man's birthday went well I believe!

I guess it was just one of those things...

I have found in the past year of running my business is that I do get to spend a lot more time with my kids and I am able to attend functions at their schools which wasn't possible when I was chained to the studio.

That has been the single greatest achievement this far.

Thanks for chipping in with your comments folks, I really appreciate it.

and yes, even you Richard

Cheers
BK

Jun 23, 2014 at 04:33 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

I got my son a stripper for his first birthday.

Well I didn't really get her, she was a client that came in that day.
We had a party for him on the weekend before so the actual day wasn't such a big deal that I had to spend every waking moment with him. My wife brought him into the studio and the girl saw him and asked if she could have a pic with him because he was so cute. I thought it was a great idea and has been a talking point for the last 18 years and has a lot of legs left in it yet.
I keep telling him I'm going to get her back for his 21st and I hear she does a great trick with her false teeth and walking frame these days.

I'm sure most kids first birthdays fall on a day their parents have to go to work, don't worry about it. He won't remember it and the money you make from the wedding will allow you to spoil him and give him something he'll enjoy for a lot longer than one day.

Wait till he gets to 2.
You'll be offering to shoot a wedding from free so you can have a break from the terrible 2's tantrums!!!

Jun 23, 2014 at 05:53 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

D. Diggler wrote:
There's not much good about my life right now but probably the best thing is that I don't have children. Soooo glad I don't have to deal with birthdays.

Sorry to hear that. What I have read of your comments here, you seem a real nice bloke.

Kids arent for everyone though and I find it madness that social pressure is put on everyone to get married, have kids, do the same as everyone else..... WHY?
Because it pleases you more than it is anything I want to do?

I have always been a weird parent. I never see my kids through rose glasses, I never auttomaticaly took their sides and I always encouraged their teachers to hand out much more severe punishements than they would have otherwise, especially when I got called up the school.

Dunno how many times I got told " You are very different to most fathers"
I'd say thanks, I know what most parents are like and I'm glad not to be lumped in with them!

Hope things pick up for you.

Jun 23, 2014 at 06:01 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

Haha! Sammy is my third so I'm well acquainted with the terrible two's but shooting wedding's for free is definitely with worst senerio out the two.

I know he won't remember his first but I will. By all accounts it was a fantastic day spent with friends and family. Something I was gutted to miss out on... I'm selfish that way

Jun 23, 2014 at 06:34 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

BKphotography wrote:

Couple booked me before he was born.

Thought I would be ok but, wow I'm feeling like $h!te this morning.

This situation happened to any of you good people?

Oh...

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y S A M M Y !

Pass me the wedding !!! you go to your son very very important very first birthday, I make some cash and practise my scottish ( and get drunk ) ALL HAPPY

Seriously !!!
Due to my situation I have missed so many things of my son but as Ricardo said, quality time !!

Jaime

Jun 23, 2014 at 07:27 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

I hear you, it does really suck to miss out on important family events. That being said, it really isn't about the day on the calendar, so if it's possible to celebrate on one of the days on the calendar next to it, it's worthwhile so that you can be there.

As you said, the gift of being a wedding vendor is exactly that - you can be there during the week when you couldn't with pretty much any other job. A very worthwhile tradeoff in my book.

Jun 23, 2014 at 07:35 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

I've definitely missed birthdays. My boys birthdays are durig my busy season so, I'm almost always shooting. I try to carve out a day to have a party for them though. That's what they really care about at this age anyways. I hate missing soccer games and school performances though.

Jun 23, 2014 at 04:09 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

I actually just missed my first birthday ever. I had always blocked them off but this June 14 my 1st born turned 7 and I felt so guilty I had to work I booked a Disney vacation for him the day after for a week. He was happy

I feel for you bro. Oh and Happy Birthday Sammy!

Miguel

Jun 23, 2014 at 06:23 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

Well, make up time seems to be the way to go!

Thankfully we will be flying out to Toronto very soon for a family vacation and it will be fantastic to spend time together although...

I've been roped into shooting my brothers wedding.

We'll just have to wait and see how that goes!

Have a great day photo people!

Jun 24, 2014 at 04:55 AM
NotoriousPTG
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

I started in the industry as a DJ and my birthday is the 4th of July. I worked every birthday I could because the pay was significantly higher. As a wedding photographer I still work on my birthday, anniversary and kid's birthdays all the time. We just bump the celebrations to dates that are free and it's not really an issue in our family.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

You begin to realize a bday is just a bday. You can celebrate coming of age on any day and most parents seem to never celebrate it on the actual day itself. I wouldn't beat yourself up on it. I know a lot of new parents get really bent out of shape on the little things.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shooting a wedding on my boy's 1st Birthday...

I promise you, man, that your son won't care you missed her party, if you invest as much time and effort as possible in him before you leave, and the second you return.

We have some late nights. But one of the things that keeps my son smiling is that when I get home, after setting down bags and starting to dump memory cards, I crawl into bed next to him and talk to him for a minute, even if he's asleep.

He seems to "forgive" me for being gone.

Jun 24, 2014 at 03:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.