Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Canon service shipping "FAIL"

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

I just shipped three items to Canon. The method I use when I ship a lens for service is,
I wrap the lens one time with this stuff,
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/374641/Office-Depot-Brand-Antistatic-Foam-Cushioning/

Then I wrap it with bubble wrap. I don't really care if the lenses all touch in a box, as long as it is their bubble wrap touching. A lot of times (this time included) I put the lenses together in a smaller box, and then put that box in a larger box with some peanuts and air packs. This has more than satisfied any shipping requirements and gotten my products where they've needed to go.

I get that it is overkill, but I need to make sure they get there in one piece. I've heard stories of where people have sent items into Canon and they've been knocked out of whack...you don't want to end up with a several hundred dollar repair bill, because the shipper knocked all of your stuff out of alignment.

With that said, they typically ship back ONE item per box, in a bag, wrapped 1 time in bubble wrap (or sometimes none) and then with heavy paper in the box. I don't like it, BUT, if they break it, it's on them on the return trip. Being a CPS member, I get quick turn around time and if they smash my stuff...I'll probably get a loaner.

Your situation sucks. They shouldn't have put all three things in the same BAG. In the same box, no big deal. Same bag....eh, no good.

Jun 23, 2014 at 09:09 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

RobertLynn wrote:
I've heard stories of where people have sent items into Canon and they've been knocked out of whack...

No wonder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM3SRG7D21Y

An oldie but a goodie, and a cautionary tale.

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:16 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

So, yeah.

Canon's telephone representative was very sincere in his apology for the company's shipping sins. He didn't argue about anything, didn't parry any of my (polite) blows, he said he would send messages to Irvine repair facility as well as their shipping facility about what not to do, and told me to send eveyrthing back on Canon's dime.

Paraphrasing his words:

"This deprives you of your equipment for awhile, makes us look bad, and costs everybody time. And Canon, money."

I figured they would end up replacing both of the damaged lenses as that was the most cost-effective solution and precludes further claims from the user. Replace them, they did - no prodding whatsoever.

On an unrelated note, they took a stab at repairing the sensor artifacts on my EOS-M. Having fixed those, they then borked the AF-assist light, which was permanently sent to on. That's another post, though.

I like Canon U.S.A.'s service. They are always very polite, you can reach a representative fairly quickly, they don't give you the runaround, they understand that empathy defuses tension, and always try their best when I deal with them. Sometimes their best isn't "perfect" but in the end, politely squeeze them if there's a disagreement, and merely be patient in case there isn't one.

Aug 22, 2014 at 02:38 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

Glad it worked out in the end!

Aug 22, 2014 at 05:32 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password