New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

At the risk of sounding less than erudite...

Canon, what the @$@#$!?!

(here I shall pause and let the commentary flow)

Jun 21, 2014 at 01:51 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

Are you saying there was a shipping failure or a product failure caused by the packaging? Is everything functioning?

EBH

Jun 21, 2014 at 02:00 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

They are all in the same bag rubbing together, huh?

Jun 21, 2014 at 02:21 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

Pretty inexcusable. Clearly Canon has an employee that needs further training and a dose of common sense. The above example is one reason I always ship items to Canon in their original shipping boxes with all of the original packing material. So far, that is how they always come back. No way would I send in a Camera without it's body cap in place. Not an excuse for Canon, but how did you send your stuff into Canon?

I know it is disappointing, but was there any actual shipping damage?

Jun 21, 2014 at 02:31 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

Paul, I want to make a "Mohs scale of hardness joke" here but I won't.

I don't want anybody to lose their job nor be demoted, but...

1. "In the absence of the lens..." which they obviously found and placed at the bottom of the returned "stuff"

2. It's a poor idea to pack things of this nature, so they can rub together. Transmission gears mesh, not photo "gears". This is not science!

3. I learned my lesson. From now on, I won't overestimate them and will give each sensitive component an appropriate cap or cover. Which is to say, every body with a cap and every lens covered ass to face.

4. Yeah, unfortunately the skin of the zoom was abraded and dented by the feral, naked, wanderlust 22mm which should have been attached to the M body had they any sense. You know, just as I sent it to them. The 22's ring lost some paint but doesn't look deformed. Let that be a lesson you EF-M users. (it's a great system by the way). They rubbed like lovers but sadly I don't see an 11-22 EF-M baby in the package.

I have yet to test the optics, the primary reason I sent the ensemble to Canon. I don't care if my gear looks like turd, by my own hand. As long as it performs per my expectations. But I don't expect stuff to come back in worse shape. Does anybody?

Canon and their service department "rawk hawd" in so many areas, it's a pity to see them screw the pooch in such a bewilderingly simple fashion. I'll call them in short order, after I test the stuff.

Jun 21, 2014 at 03:01 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

FWIW, I have never seen Canon ship back a body/lens attached to each other. If that was your expectation, it was probably not going to happen. As you stated above, lens caps are a must in addition to body caps.

Jun 21, 2014 at 03:12 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

I've never had 2 items come back in the same box, let alone the same bag.

Jun 21, 2014 at 08:59 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

srimiri,

Someone was obviously new, drunk, stoned, (D) all of the above. You should definitely escalate this as high as you can as it is culpable neglect.

FWIW I send a body with nothing in it or attached except the body cap. (No battery, card, eyepiece, etc.) I pack carefully and take a dated snap with my phone. A lens gets the same treatment but includes the end cap and cover. I've only once sent camera and lenses in together. Each was returned separately encased in the thick pink plastic bag with the gold seal and well packed. The body was NOT returned with its cap and had the piece of paper you note above. I was irritated and fired off an email to CPS. Two days later I had a body cap. No clue if it was the original. Given how cheap a cap is, I can't imagine why Canon would ever ship a body without one, but doubtlessly some bean counter noted they could save $0.033 by doing so.

Robert

BTW did you ship the body and lenses with their caps?

Jun 21, 2014 at 09:15 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

I'd say Robert is spot on, report this, it's not good for their business image, the 'horrible' packaging is just not right, there's no reason for such cheapness, lack of padding between items when 'ALL' caps are not included/available...poor, very poor service

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

I can see why they didn't attach the lens to the camera again. This might make not sense for us, but look at it from Canon's point of view. Shipping could of broken either the lens mount, camera mount or both. It could misaligned the camera, or other issues that might arise from shipping which would lead to more warranty cases.

But either way this sucks for you. Canon should of made way better packaging between the items though. So that is definably canon's fault.

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

Yes, it's lame and I hope you complained and provided Canon management and/or corporate with images and a an explanation of their fail. It might result in action...

Jun 21, 2014 at 01:05 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

I have sent canon multiple items, in the same box and they have never sent them in the same box.
I have shipped my items with box front and rear caps, they have always shipped them back.

Jun 22, 2014 at 07:46 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

I have sent canon multiple items, in the same box and they have never sent them in the same box.
I have shipped my items with box front and rear caps, they have always shipped them back.

Jun 22, 2014 at 08:37 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

When I sent to CPS, I use the original box and they always have sent it back exactly the same way.
Mostly C&C.

Jun 22, 2014 at 08:56 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

I would send Canon an email of complaint with the photo attached.

But what I've learned these last few years, with approximately 30 shipments to Canon Irvine, is that each item sent is to be shipped in its own shipping container, nothing attached to the body (battery grip, strap, eye cup, battery, memory card, etc.) except the body cap. I sent a couple things in for adjustment (body and two lenses, one mounted) and they all came back in separate boxes.

I ship things to Canon reusing their original shipping boxes if undamaged, with their packing materials, adding only a detailed cover letter and CD of test images (if needed to show the problem).

I think you'll just have to chalk it up to "live and learn". At least it wasn't an expensive "L" lens!

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

UCSB wrote:
FWIW, I have never seen Canon ship back a body/lens attached to each other. If that was your expectation, it was probably not going to happen. As you stated above, lens caps are a must in addition to body caps.

yeah they don't like to ship with lens attached since you can get too much leverage pressure on the mounts, never ship with lens attached is good advice in general no matter who you are shipping too (even yourself)

(although I suppose a true pancake lens like that, maybe could be OK in reality, so despite it being standard to never, ever ship with a lens on, in this case, an ultra pancake on the body would seem to make more sense than having it's optics dangling loose for sure)

Edited on Jun 24, 2014 at 12:25 AM · View previous versions

Jun 22, 2014 at 01:32 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

And I thought my most recent experience was bad. I'd be livid and they most certainly should remedy the damage they did. I would not drop it. Otherwise whoever the idiot was might do it again. I agree I would never ship a camera or lens mounted to a body or without a cap. I'm not surprised by the temporary cap but the packing them for shipping in a bag together with no protection is inexcusable and they need to fix it.

Jun 22, 2014 at 02:08 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

I have never had 2 items in the same bag before and usually have only one item per box. This does not seem typical of Canon and seems like the "packer" is definitely not doing their job correctly. Why? Who knows but Canon should be made aware of this to take appropriate steps to remedy.

As you mentioned, you learned that
1. NO lens, no matter how small, should ever be attached to body when shipped
2. place caps on everything

No filters should be on front of any lens when shipped and keep your body naked (no memory card, battery, eye cup, strap, grip, brackets) with only body cap

Curious if your transaction was thru CPS and if so, what level?

Jun 22, 2014 at 03:12 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

I am pretty sure that during the summer, and during peak times that Canon uses like "summer help" to pack and unpack components. Basically, the guy on the bench working on your gear, isn't the guy whom is packing and unpacking it.

Jun 22, 2014 at 03:55 PM
pwk1

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon service shipping "FAIL"

You definitely can escalate this if you had paint rubbing off on the lenses or body. I would be livid if I got my camera back like that!

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.