New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Correcting for perspective distortion

deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Correcting for perspective distortion

I have a few group shots from a wedding that were taken with a wide angle lens (16-35/2.8 II). For whatever reason, I was not able to get an appropriate distance away from the group, and a few people at the edge of the frame are distorted.

I know typical lens correction profiles (Lightroom, Photoshop) correct for geometric distortion and vignetting, but not for perspective distortion near the edges.

Is there anyway to correct for this in post processing? If so, what software would I need?

Jun 20, 2014 at 04:03 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Correcting for perspective distortion

Hi Jamie,

Have you tried the the Adaptive Wide Angle filter in PS?

I never use it because I don't have an ulta-wide but it is supposed to be a heavier-duty kind of tool for these kinds of situations and it does have a Perspective adjustment.

Jun 20, 2014 at 04:07 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Correcting for perspective distortion

Unfortunately I have not tried that. I have CS5 Extended at the moment. The Adaptive Wide Angle Filter appears to be have been a new feature for CS6.

Jun 20, 2014 at 04:43 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Correcting for perspective distortion

deepbluejh wrote:
I have a few group shots from a wedding that were taken with a wide angle lens (16-35/2.8 II). For whatever reason, I was not able to get an appropriate distance away from the group, and a few people at the edge of the frame are distorted.

I know typical lens correction profiles (Lightroom, Photoshop) correct for geometric distortion and vignetting, but not for perspective distortion near the edges.

Is there anyway to correct for this in post processing? If so, what software would I need?

Lightroom 5 has perspective control that can work quite well in many situations. Of course you need to shoot RAW, but I don't think that's an issue. I use it from time to time with my 17-40, but just realized they won't have a module for the 16-35 f4L IS I just ordered! Agh!

I believe that DxO also has a perspective control on their software - I've just never really gotten along with their interface.

You can download CS6 Photoshop or Lightroom 5 for a 30 day trial - it's fully functional stuff. This would allow you to try it out and see if it does what you want - and then you can judge if it's worth the upgrade (to the cloud for PS) or purchase.

Jun 20, 2014 at 05:30 PM
Jim Healey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Correcting for perspective distortion

DXO is also available as a 30 day trial ... and definitely worth a try.

Link: Volume Anamorphosis Correction

Jun 22, 2014 at 04:22 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Correcting for perspective distortion

The Lightroom 5 distortion control goes from -100 to +100 and one end is a fisheye effect and the other end could be called anti-fisheye effect (it can make the photo seem like a longer focal length).

However, ...

As is to be expected because of geometry (mathematics rules the universe), moving the control far off zero will impose severe cropping restrictions on the photo if you want to maintain a rectangular format. This will mean either cropping out edges (fisheye effect) or cropping out the corners (anti-fisheye effect).

The DXO examples use more sophisticated processing and I find them fairly impressive.

Jun 22, 2014 at 05:03 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Correcting for perspective distortion

I've used Lightroom to effective effect when shooting events wide where basic lens profiles leave the perspective distortion still rather evident, but as Monito mentions above the process will incur significant cropping that may or may not be acceptable for individual shots.

Try Lightroom first, but take a look at DxO- just note that DxO will ream you just for shooting FF, and their software largely amounts to a two or three trick pony.

Jun 22, 2014 at 06:22 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Correcting for perspective distortion

I didn't see this mentioned, Lightroom (4 & 5 at least) have manual perspective controls in addition to LR5's automatic "straighten" controls. These are all in the Lens Corrections section and can be applied to either raw images or JPEGs. Only the lens specific distortion or profile corrections can't be applied to non-raw images.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Correcting for perspective distortion

DxO Viewpoint is very effective for corrections to volume deformation in wide angle people shots.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Correcting for perspective distortion

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I didn't see this mentioned, Lightroom (4 & 5 at least) have manual perspective controls in addition to LR5's automatic "straighten" controls. These are all in the Lens Corrections section and can be applied to either raw images or JPEGs. Only the lens specific distortion or profile corrections can't be applied to non-raw images.

That's what we are talking about; the manual controls. I tend to distrust "automatic" retouching / modifying and so I didn't even take it in that there was an automatic straighten control.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Correcting for perspective distortion

The problem is not (only) perspective distortion. It's something different, perhaps called volume deformation (I'm unsure). DxO ViewPoint 2 might help and does not cost a fortune but I suspect that it cannot fix both sides of the image at once. It might even mess with the middle. Commonly used to fix a close subject near a corner of the frame in a wide angle shot.

Lr cannot deal with it unless there is a suitable plug-in.

- Alan

Jun 25, 2014 at 05:58 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Correcting for perspective distortion

Alan321 wrote:
The problem is not (only) perspective distortion. It's something different, perhaps called volume deformation (I'm unsure). DxO ViewPoint 2 might help and does not cost a fortune but I suspect that it cannot fix both sides of the image at once. It might even mess with the middle. Commonly used to fix a close subject near a corner of the frame in a wide angle shot.

Look at the DxO link provided upthread.

Jun 25, 2014 at 06:04 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Correcting for perspective distortion

In my opinion, DxO is well worth having in your toolbox. The interface, like 1D series 2-button controls, takes time getting used to - but DxO is able to do things I can't do with other software in my collection.

Jun 26, 2014 at 06:38 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Correcting for perspective distortion

DXO works great. I also have PT Lens a small program for distortions and it has lens profiles. Also does CS5 have puppet warp?

Jun 26, 2014 at 07:46 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.