Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Best Insurance for camera gear?

mongoose777
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Best Insurance for camera gear?

What are the best insurance companies out there that cover your gear if it were lost,
stolen or even damaged in case of accidental dropped.

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:00 PM
beji
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Best Insurance for camera gear?

Dont know about professional gear insurance. But, if you are a hobbyist, adding camera to your home insurance or renters insurance is probably one of the best way to go.

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:10 PM
CanadaMark
• •
p.1 #3 · Best Insurance for camera gear?

Definitely your home insurance. Generally how it works is you can just lump it into your home insurance without paying a rider/premium for it however you will have to pay whatever your deductible is should you need it replaced.

The other way is to insure it separately, on a rider/premium and you will pay zero or a greatly reduced deductible should something go wrong. The rider method usually requires a list of your gear sent to the insurance company, but I highly recommend keeping an inventory with serial numbers (and even pictures if you have the time), to mitigate any claim issues regardless.

At least in Canada, that is how it works, and I am covered for my own negligence (eg. If I were to back over my camera bag with my car) as well as theft/loss.

It may be different if photography is how you make your living, then I imagine it would fall under a business insurance of some kind.

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:15 PM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Best Insurance for camera gear?

As some one who used to work in the insurance industry, if you make ANY money with your camera, your home insurance provider will try to find a way to deny a claim. If you do a SMALL amount, maybe a few portraits for friends or co-workers you may be able to talk to your insurance provider, and have them approve it, make sure they put a note to file, or endorsement on your policy to say that it was approved. If you have a website that says anything about doing work for hire, no matter how amateur it may seem, the insurance company will consider it to be a business.

If you do a small amount of work, and want to be sure that your equipment is covered. You can get a policy covering JUST your equipment from theft, fire, damage etc. If you do more work you would be smart to consider adding liability as well. As for who to go with, shop around. I know there are specialty insurance companies which can likely offer a better rate, but your local insurance company can also offer coverage.

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:28 PM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Best Insurance for camera gear?

CanadaMark wrote:
Definitely your home insurance. Generally how it works is you can just lump it into your home insurance without paying a rider/premium for it however you will have to pay whatever your deductible is should you need it replaced.

The other way is to insure it separately, on a rider/premium and you will pay zero or a greatly reduced deductible should something go wrong. The rider method usually requires a list of your gear sent to the insurance company, but I highly recommend keeping an inventory with serial numbers (and even pictures if you have the time), to mitigate any
...Show more

You might want to look into this... some times there are $500 limits on cameras if it's not on a rider, plus it is always a good idea to provide serial number and photos of all your gear.

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James R
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Best Insurance for camera gear?

I have all my insurance with Farmers and have a rider for 25K to cover my gear at home or on the road. Cost varies depending on where you live.

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:34 PM
CanadaMark
• •
p.1 #7 · Best Insurance for camera gear?

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:
You might want to look into this... some times there are $500 limits on cameras if it's not on a rider, plus it is always a good idea to provide serial number and photos of all your gear.

There is no limit, but it is included in my contents insurance, so I need to have enough insurance such that if I were to have a total loss of my home contents, I would cover everything including my camera gear. You're right that sometimes there is a cap, but at least with my insurer, as long as you don't have one of the cheaper levels of home insurance, you're good to go with the limits. Thanks for checking though! Definitely an important piece of info.

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:37 PM
james.d53
• •
p.1 #8 · Best Insurance for camera gear?

mongoose777 wrote:
What are the best insurance companies out there that cover your gear if it were lost,
stolen or even damaged in case of accidental dropped.

If you are an amateur, your homeowner's insurance policy will most likely cover your camera gear with a scheduled personal property rider at a cost of about $0.15 to $0.25 per $100.00 of stated value. It is usually all risk and all world coverage. Now, if you are a professional, that is a different story. You will need to buy a commercial insurance policy that will cover your camera gear. It also covers many other things such as liability, and errors and omissions. The price for a pro is a little more than that, but it is worth it! Lastly, don't try and fool the insurance company. They are not fooled easily. You better be an amateur if you say you are.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I have had my insurance license for 34 years. I am also a certified professional photographer. I still practice insurance from my home part time, but practice the art of photography full time.

Jun 21, 2014 at 04:55 AM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #9 · Best Insurance for camera gear?

My homeowner's insurance said that they don't cover camera equipment even with a rider. I ended up going with a State Farm Personal Articles Policy, which is inexpensive and seems like it is probably fine, although I haven't had to actually use it.

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:13 PM
Seancho

p.1 #10 · Best Insurance for camera gear?

Ive got the State Farm personal articles policy, too. I'm currently traveling in India, and $100 covers about $7k worth of photo and computer gear against any loss, anywhere in the world, for a year. Good deal.

Jun 23, 2014 at 05:06 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password