Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Pray for me - D800 AF repair

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

So today I am doing what I have been dreading for a long time: I am sending in my D800 for autofocus repair.

Problem 1: SB910 AF assist back focus, confirmed by me sending in sample photos.

Problem 2: Left side AF points prone to back focus

Knowing Nikon's history, they will make some asinine claims. It's out of warranty anyway, but I know this is going to be a huge battle where I don't even get to have my camera back for months. However, my stupid MORALS and ETHICS won't let me sell it as-is, even with full disclosure (and people are offering $1200 for it anyway).

So...enter the BS arena. Wish me luck please, I really think I will need it.

Jun 20, 2014 at 07:58 PM
nntnam

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

I wish you all the best, sir. Sound like camera repair/warranty service is terrible in NA. I don't know how it is in Japan but I wish I don't need it anyway .

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:04 PM
Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

I smile as I read this . . . projecting the worst aren't you?

I did the same but everything came out okay when I sent my D800 in. Hope the best for you.

Grant

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:13 PM
Jim8EL
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

Usually the ones you expect them to hassle you about are the ones that workout fine. It's the warranty repairs that seem like no-brainers that they get you on. Hope I'm not wrong. Good luck.

J

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:18 PM
Christian S
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

Your situation is a bit different but similar to mine. I had sever front focusing on all my lenses. But fine tune corrected all situations but many were very extreme -20. It wasn't until I broke down and bought a used 200f2 that I finally had to send both in. I later found out that sending the lens in was not needed cost to me $100. Then my D800 would cost me $240. Just as They were sending off the repaired D800, I asked if they were sending my 200 with the D800? What 200 they asked? Anyway my lens was lost twice and finally showed up 2 weeks after I got my D800. What a complete waste of time and money regarding the lens. I paid for the repair and just moved on. The whole lens thing was pathetic! Not one person apologized at all. I suspect you will end up paying $200-$250. This seems to be the consistent service charge for AF issues. I do hope you are able to avoid the service charge. Right now I'm trying to focus on the good things regard Nikon. At some point I will be sending a letter regarding this situation, not that will change a thing but I will have at least shared this pathetic service with someone higher up.

Good Luck
Christian

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:24 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

I had mine fixed under warranty, no issues, worked fine afterward on both bodies. Even got the camera back fast.

IMO though they should fix out of warranty cameras at no charge - it's like, gee, we put out a product with a problem, so then we can make more money by charging to fix it. If it wasn't such a widespread and well known issue, sure, then charge, but it's almost criminal to do so when so many bodies exhibit the problem.

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:35 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

I agree they should fix certain issues out of warranty, but I fully expect them to charge up the wazoo...

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

Item #2 should be fixed out of warranty under the service bulletin, but who knows. I'm not familiar with #1.

EBH

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:47 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

#1 shows up here occasionally. Apparently there is no known cure except using the on-camera AF assist.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

Shoulda bought a d4

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

I have to send mine in to have the 10 pin port repaired...it broke on me during a camping trip shooting landscapes.

Jun 21, 2014 at 01:44 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

form wrote:
So today I am doing what I have been dreading for a long time: I am sending in my D800 for autofocus repair.

Problem 1: SB910 AF assist back focus, confirmed by me sending in sample photos.

Problem 2: Left side AF points prone to back focus

Knowing Nikon's history, they will make some asinine claims. It's out of warranty anyway, but I know this is going to be a huge battle where I don't even get to have my camera back for months. However, my stupid MORALS and ETHICS won't let me sell it as-is, even with full disclosure (and people are
...Show more

Are finally moving totally over to Canon?

Jun 21, 2014 at 03:28 AM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

EB-1 wrote:
Item #2 should be fixed out of warranty under the service bulletin, but who knows. I'm not familiar with #1.

EBH

Which service bulletin?

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

If you haven't already sent it in, have you considered Authorized Photo Service in Chicago?

They have a much better reputation than either Nikon Melville or Nikon El Segundo.

Jun 22, 2014 at 08:57 PM
suhsin

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

As a D800E owner I wish you the best!

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Daniel Bliss

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

As a point of information I would HIGHLY recommend Authorized Photo Service in the Chicago suburbs for this repair. Nikon USA finally came up with a good solid repair procedure and offered the equipment to do it to their authorized service providers as well. The key reason to use APS for this instead of Nikon -- as long as it will be covered under warranty (if you're not under warranty you'll want to check with APS first as I don't know whether under the left focus service bulletin they require you to send it to Nikon or not) -- is their turnaround time and being able to talk directly to a tech, as they really don't have a single employee who isn't a tech. Melville in my experience has really improved of late, but unfortunately they're still not as fast as APS on turnaround and you'll be communicating through telephone support rather than directly with the person performing the adjustment. (On the other hand, with lens repairs, I go to Nikon directly if still under warranty, because their reps and techs are a LOT more empowered than the authorized independents to deal with oddball optical problems. )

The procedure is to physically check and adjust the camera so that everything, including the all important mirror mechanism and AF module, is lined up -- and then simply blank all the AF data and start over from scratch with uploading a new calibration. Then randomly test a few points and you're good to go. If you still have a problem, the repair is warrantied for six months. Turnaround for me was four business days. In my case they corrected left AF and also overall back focus. So there's no sign of any asymmetrical focus, and nothing is more than + or -5 away from 0, whereas previously, Fine Tune ranged from 0 to as much as -15, and still I had left back focus.

Jun 23, 2014 at 02:01 AM
Christian S
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

I tried APS for all the positive feed back. I was really bummed when they told me I had impact damage on a 6 month old lens. When I sent it off the lens was doing everything perfectly and there was zero impact damage. The charge $475.00. I had them send the lens back. When I got it back it was again perfect. This was mind blowing to have this happen from such a highly reputable repair facility. I was really counting on using them. Now I'm confused.

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:15 AM
Daniel Bliss

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

One thing to bear in mind with APS is that they very closely follow official Nikon policy. So you have an outfit that's basically better organized than Nikon USA, faster, easier to talk to, but at the same time goes by the book and will be very cautious at least with warranty repairs about taking anything on that Nikon won't reimburse. Also, note that they're a former Nikon USA corporate shop, and I believe one or two of the people from the Nikon days are still on staff. Also re-read my post above. Nikon are generally my first port of call on lenses unless we're talking out of warranty, APS on camera bodies.

Jun 23, 2014 at 06:49 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

I'm confused... you sent in a lens for repair... even though it had no problems?

Christian S wrote:
I tried APS for all the positive feed back... When I sent it off the lens was doing everything perfectly and there was zero impact damage.

Edited on Jun 24, 2014 at 02:37 AM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Daniel Bliss

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pray for me - D800 AF repair

Nikon_14 wrote:
I'm confused... you sent in a lens that had no problems?

Any evidence of shipper's damage? Check back with APS on that. If they signed for a package that was damaged, that's a big, big problem in my view.

Jun 23, 2014 at 01:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password